Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 3:48 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Proper Introduction
My Proper Introduction
Hello, everyone! I'm Jenn and I'm from Atlanta. I have just recently come to terms with my atheism. I tried so hard, even after "coming out" as a Christian de-convert, to pick some sort of religious practice. Even if you're a theistic Pagan people seem to accept that far more readily than if you say you don't believe in any deities. My family knows I am not a Christian, but only my husband knows I'm an atheist (he is one as well). I suppose I've always known. I desperately wanted to believe. I was raised a deacon's daughter in the Baptist church. I knew all about the good 'ol King James Bible, wearing ankle-length dresses to church, that science is evil, that Christian Contemporary Music is satanic, because it sounds like rock and roll. My husband and I were ridiculed for not wanting children (we each have sons from previous marriages, but we chose not to have kids together) and told "children are a heritage from the Lord".  All through the years, no matter how much scripture I memories, no matter how many Sandi Patty songs I sang as solos, no matter how readily my public prayers flowed or how many areas of ministry I was involved in I never felt anything. Sure, I said "the sinner's prayer" as a young teen when a boy I wanted to date told me he wouldn't date a non-believer. 

Coming to terms with my lack of faith in Christianity was immensely difficult, since my father is now an ordained minister and pastor of a church. I received quite the fair share of ridicule for it. Eventually the shock wore off and things settled down. Coming to terms with my atheism, on a personal level, was like a weight being lifted from my shoulders. It allowed me to finally be true to myself. It was the only thing that ever made sense to me.

In my spare time I dance. I take two classes a week and love it. I am so happy to find this forum and look forward to being a part of the discussions here.
RE: My Proper Introduction
Good intro. Welcome to the party.

I've never heard of a Christian thinking that contemporary Christian music is satanic. Usually they have a raging boner for that type of music and can't part with their money fast enough to get it.
(October 19, 2015 at 5:55 pm)Jaxxie1181 Wrote: Hello, everyone! I'm Jenn and I'm from Atlanta. I have just recently come to terms with my atheism. I tried so hard, even after "coming out" as a Christian de-convert, to pick some sort of religious practice. Even if you're a theistic Pagan people seem to accept that far more readily than if you say you don't believe in any deities. My family knows I am not a Christian, but only my husband knows I'm an atheist (he is one as well). I suppose I've always known. I desperately wanted to believe. I was raised a deacon's daughter in the Baptist church. I knew all about the good 'ol King James Bible, wearing ankle-length dresses to church, that science is evil, that Christian Contemporary Music is satanic, because it sounds like rock and roll. My husband and I were ridiculed for not wanting children (we each have sons from previous marriages, but we chose not to have kids together) and told "children are a heritage from the Lord".  All through the years, no matter how much scripture I memories, no matter how many Sandi Patty songs I sang as solos, no matter how readily my public prayers flowed or how many areas of ministry I was involved in I never felt anything. Sure, I said "the sinner's prayer" as a young teen when a boy I wanted to date told me he wouldn't date a non-believer. 

Coming to terms with my lack of faith in Christianity was immensely difficult, since my father is now an ordained minister and pastor of a church. I received quite the fair share of ridicule for it. Eventually the shock wore off and things settled down. Coming to terms with my atheism, on a personal level, was like a weight being lifted from my shoulders. It allowed me to finally be true to myself. It was the only thing that ever made sense to me.

In my spare time I dance. I take two classes a week and love it. I am so happy to find this forum and look forward to being a part of the discussions here.

Ok, there's a lot of sheer nuttery you were exposed to as a child, but the bit about contemporary Christian music being Satanic is arguably true -- though certainly not because it sounds like rock and roll because it doesn't. It's just fucking awful and causes me to want to hurt people. Pure evil.
Welcome Jaxxie!

Your story is one that probably shocks our members from other less benighted countries. Yes, Christianity in the US can really be oppressive. Like a goddamn cult.

In any case, welcome. We're a wild, unsavory bunch.
Hi Jenn! You sure have been put through the wringer with religion.

I have to agree, though, Christian rock IS satanic. It makes me want to stab out my eyeballs, only Satan himself could be behind that. Smile
If The Flintstones have taught us anything, it's that pelicans can be used to mix cement.

-Homer Simpson
Welcome aboard.

Glad you escaped the insanity.
Dying to live, living to die.
Welcome Jaxxie!
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
Well, there are various different types of Xian music. There's gospel, there's Christian versions of all the big genres, like heavy metal, rap, etc. And there's that sterile, yet trying-to-be-funky megachurch music you hear at non-denom fellowships in rich places like Scottsdale, AZ.

And then, there's Sonseed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_mXPyBNxs4

Welcome! Hope you enjoy yourself.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
Welcome aboard.

Quote: Even if you're a theistic Pagan people seem to accept that far more readily than if you say you don't believe in any deities.

I've noticed that, too.  I think it is because a lot of people are just stupid but I have a low tolerance for them.
One thing I do agree with SoBs about ... Stryper is of the devil.

Welcome to the forums from a fellow recovering SoB.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Introduction Veni 5 734 July 3, 2022 at 7:43 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Introduction Data 9 972 June 19, 2022 at 8:04 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  A (re)-introduction bennyboy 10 1955 June 11, 2022 at 8:35 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Introduction Disagreeable 15 1417 January 25, 2022 at 2:37 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  atheists - edit to add Introduction ergo 60 3989 November 28, 2021 at 3:15 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Here is My Introduction AtheistQuest 23 2270 August 25, 2021 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  The End8888 Introduction UniverseCaptain 29 2006 August 12, 2021 at 2:17 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  A little introduction satansprostate 16 1164 June 24, 2021 at 11:42 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
Smile New User Introduction Militant_Atheist 14 978 September 29, 2020 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  introduction Xaventis 29 2902 August 9, 2020 at 6:38 pm
Last Post: Tomatoshadow2