Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 6:32 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Faith in God leads to prosperity?
Faith in God leads to prosperity?
The Redeemed Christian Church of God preaches business success through prayer without compromising their biblical principles. Read full story:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8712528.stm

In not so many words Pentacostal Christianity finally admits you can't live off a spiritual personal relationship with a make-believe deity alone but rather material rewards instead. Hmmm, well at least they're being practical for once and no doubt poor Satan will be blamed when they fail.

I can't help but wonder what kind of businesses they'd start up? I suppose selling Bibles isn't very original. Would they open up a church of their own? Big Grin
RE: Faith in God leads to prosperity?
Indeed it does for some!
Tony Blair, ex-prime minister of the uk and deeply religious...remember he said god told him to go ahead with the illegal invasion of Iraq.
Well,since leaving office, Blair has reputedly earned ( I use that word loosely ) around £20 million from his various projects, including middle-east peace envoy ( you couldn't make it up and be believed could you??? ).
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?
Like any Ponzi scheme the guys who get in first make all the money and the rest just get screwed.[/align]
Faith leads to prosperity for the clergy.

And of course it helps to reinforce the status quo.

Frank Zappa from his song 'Heavenly Bank Account':

Quote:He's got Presidential Help
All along the way
He says the grace
While the lawyers chew
Oh yeah
They sure do
And the Governors agree to say: "He's a lovely man!"
He makes it easier for
Them to screw
All of you...
Yes, that's true!
'Cause he helps put
The Fear of God
In the Common Man
Snatchin' up money
Everywhere he can
Oh yeah Oh yeah
He's got twenty million dollars
In his Heavenly Bank Account
You ain't got nothin', people
Thank the man.. .oh yeah

See the atheist songs thread for a video.
He who desires to worship God must harbor no childish illusions about the matter but bravely renounce his liberty and humanity.
Mikhail Bakunin

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything
Friedrich Nietzsche
By their standards Jesus himself was a failure.

Actually the Bible does teach that obeying God leads to prosperity but they are wrong in defining prosperity as material wealth. Jesus said that we should work to build up treasure in heaven, not on earth. Some Christians are given material wealth but it isn't a reward for their piety but rather a tool that they can use to serve God with.
His invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse.
Romans 1:20 ESV

Work to build up pretend wealth in a pretend place, because a pretend person said you should. Sounds like a wasted life to me.
(June 1, 2010 at 12:58 pm)theophilus Wrote: By their standards Jesus himself was a failure.

Actually the Bible does teach that obeying God leads to prosperity but they are wrong in defining prosperity as material wealth. Jesus said that we should work to build up treasure in heaven, not on earth. Some Christians are given material wealth but it isn't a reward for their piety but rather a tool that they can use to serve God with.

Same old, same old!
Toil away your life in the hope of a better one in " heaven ". Even that prospect depends on being a slave to " god ".
no thanks.
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?
(June 1, 2010 at 2:25 pm)bozo Wrote:
(June 1, 2010 at 12:58 pm)theophilus Wrote: By their standards Jesus himself was a failure.

Same old, same old!
Toil away your life in the hope of a better one in " heaven ". Even that prospect depends on being a slave to " god ".
no thanks.

Do you mean theres no such place as silicon heaven!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon_Heaven

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Hmm...

Quote:21Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.

22But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions.

23Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.

24And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.
Matthew 19:21-24
(June 1, 2010 at 2:30 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: Do you mean theres no such place as silicon heaven!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon_Heaven
There is....

It's the valley between Pamela Andersons boobs.

ROFLOL
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] For former Christians only, why did you leave your faith? Jehanne 159 12412 January 16, 2023 at 7:36 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  A Believer's Thoughts on Faith rlp21858 168 11006 July 9, 2022 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  3 reasons for Christians to start questionng their faith smax 149 57987 December 4, 2021 at 10:26 am
Last Post: Ketzer
  Faith is Feelings zwanzig 44 4269 February 28, 2021 at 1:47 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What will win the god wars? Faith, Fantasy, Facts, or God? Greatest I am 98 5740 December 28, 2020 at 12:01 pm
Last Post: Greatest I am
  why faith fails Drich 43 4285 January 23, 2020 at 12:45 am
Last Post: Haipule
  Do my parents fear that I'll leave the faith? Der/die AtheistIn 120 22776 January 14, 2018 at 2:55 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  If evidence for god is in abundance, why is faith necessary? Foxaèr 181 36869 November 11, 2017 at 10:11 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
Exclamation The blind trust can lead to faith theBorg 63 8523 August 17, 2016 at 1:16 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Charged for "faith healing" over medical care Foxaèr 18 5013 October 16, 2015 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet