Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 5:23 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
bacon causes cancer! WHO!
bacon causes cancer! WHO!
The WHO said today that eating all meats, but in particular processed meats will increase your chances of getting cancer x2 (smoking = x50).

I would like to know if we started off as meat eaters in the jungle or as herbivores?
Most primates don't eat meat naturally (as a staple diet), do they?

Also, if we evolved without intelligence and didn't learn to make fire, would we still be meat eaters today?

Have we cheated evolution (so to speak) through the gift of intelligence and morphed into the homo sapiens so we can now cook and eat meat, or because of it?

Then we hear stories that contradict the above

Quote:Fans of the streaky pork delight will feel vindicated, others will probably be horrified, but it's true: 116-year-old Susannah Mushatt Jones would "eat bacon all day long" if she had her say, the New York Post reported her niece Lois Judge saying.

[Image: t6w33.jpg]
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
RE: bacon causes cancer! WHO!
Yeah, I heard on the news about some meats contributing to cancer because of chemicals put into them.

I've heard about this before as well, to do with things that are added for presentation.

I'm not completely clear whether some forms of meat can themselves be carcinogenic, or whether it's just the things that get added.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
They asked that same question on the abc today and he said it's not the nitrates or other additives, it's the meat itself interacting with our bodies.
That's why I'm curious to know whether we evolved to eat meat or something we discovered after a pig got caught in a bushfire a million years ago and the smell was "delicious"!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Really! OK, interesting.

I don't know too much about our history in that way. I'd assume we did eat meat in fair quantities. But then, we didn't live very long until recently. If people capped out at 30 or 40 anyway, things causing cancer were probably not going to matter much; especially if they take a long time to build up.

We've all changed a lot as our diets have developed, so it could be a new problem. I have no idea! I don't eat meat anyway so I'm free from concern there.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(October 27, 2015 at 5:34 am)ignoramus Wrote: They asked that same question on the abc today and he said it's not the nitrates or other additives, it's the meat itself interacting with our bodies.
That's why I'm curious to know whether we evolved to eat meat or something we discovered after a pig got caught in a bushfire a million years ago and the smell was "delicious"!

Maybe it's something to do about us having much easier access to meat than ever before.

Also, even if it's from WHO, I am suspicious about the whole "cause" thing. A true experiment would be unethical in this case.
Everything causes cancer. Tongue

Here's a link for ya in regards to yer question: http://www.nature.com/scitable/knowledge...-103874273
At least I'm with safe with my hot dogs on Fridays. Lips, arseholes and sawdust never killed anyone, did it?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
I hear what they're saying.

And yet...

Bacon.
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
Bacon tastes like salty fat to me, yuk. Tongue
(October 27, 2015 at 8:46 am)houseofcantor Wrote: Bacon tastes like salty fat to me, yuk. Tongue

Leave this galaxy immediately. By decree of the Emperor, you are hereby banished from this dimensional fold >:C
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HPV vaccine cutting cervical cancer by nearly 90% zebo-the-fat 6 938 November 4, 2021 at 8:10 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Cancer research pocaracas 14 3751 January 3, 2020 at 6:25 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  2/3 of Golden Retrievers get CANCER ?!?!?! vorlon13 0 403 April 22, 2018 at 11:45 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  CAR-T, The big step forward in cancer treatment The Valkyrie 9 1518 August 31, 2017 at 11:28 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Hair dye, relaxers and cancer?? brewer 7 2436 August 18, 2017 at 9:40 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Interesting Headline in the War on Cancer.... Minimalist 24 4844 February 24, 2016 at 12:56 am
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Mobile phone in pocket causes lower sperm count ignoramus 47 5816 November 30, 2015 at 11:34 pm
Last Post: KUSA
  Do you think we will ever know what causes Homosexuality pop_punks_not_dead 45 12605 February 8, 2014 at 11:48 pm
Last Post: là bạn điên
  Air pollution causes cancer, world health authority says pocaracas 3 1349 October 17, 2013 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  15 Year old Finds New way to Diagnose Cancer AtheistCreed 3 1786 September 27, 2013 at 8:42 pm
Last Post: Minimalist