Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 4:14 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The argument from personal discomfort
The argument from personal discomfort
I just made a new short video, addressing what I call the argument from personal discomfort. I put it in the religion section because it almost always has to do with God and related concepts.

Basically, it's the argument that something can't be true because you don't like the consequences of it being true.

Enjoy!

http://youtu.be/6LN-oKZIUeY
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
RE: The argument from personal discomfort
Wait.  You're British?

The accent is a dead giveaway!
Yeah, I sure am! I've got one of those inbred farmer's accents. I was concocted in some pot or other in Norfolk.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
Rob, how does this differ from an appeal to consequences? (I can't watch the video at work.)
Ah! It looks like it doesn't. I wasn't aware of a formal name, thank you Smile

Index of my best videos
That clears that up. Tongue
Yeah, I've heard people say they don't want something to be true because it makes them feel bad, or less special. Well truth doesn't really care about how you feel. We're evolved apes. Get over it. Sometimes people do horrible things, and never suffer from it. Sometimes people do great things, and never get appreciated for it. That's tough.

"I feel this way, so that's how it must be" is an immature statement.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

I stopped listening at 0.07. I'm monumentally uninterested in the arguments of people who order me to stop wanking. Fuxxake, you sound just like that bus conductor.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
At least the caller in this video seems to recognize that this isn't a rational justification for belief. 

i think christians who are trying to convert atheists to christianity genuinely dont understand the concept of needing evidence to believe in religion/God and the ones who have the hardest time understanding the concept of evidence of something before belief in it are christians who were raised in the religion all their lives and were taught to believe in God through faith so the concept of belief in God through evidence is just completely foreign to them so they genuinely dont understand and assume the reason an atheist refuses to have faith/belief is a result of simple rebelliousness or a fear of losing their freedom to do as they please . when in fact they are just free of indoctrination and want proof before belief although that is a foreign concept to some when it comes to belief in religion/God - but they'll learn

rob did you put this on youtube?
Imagine there's no heaven It's easy if you try No hell below us Above us only sky Imagine all the people Living for today   FSM Grin   Imagine there's no countries It isn't hard to do Nothing to kill or die for And no religion too Imagine all the people Living life in peace You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not the only one I hope someday you will join us And the world will be as one  - John Lennon

The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also  - Mark Twain

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Proof of Jesus through Personal testimony. Christianity over other faiths orthodox-man 46 8284 January 29, 2018 at 10:05 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Personal experience says religious folks are more prone to mental diseases ErGingerbreadMandude 20 7814 August 9, 2017 at 11:11 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Personal relationships with deities robvalue 540 65411 January 4, 2016 at 5:57 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Personal Angel of Death? brewer 11 3412 January 2, 2016 at 2:42 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Christian Personal Prophecy Question DarkHorse 4 1407 February 27, 2014 at 9:23 am
Last Post: DarkHorse
  PERSONAL BELIEF QUIZ Gooders1002 22 8010 May 7, 2012 at 1:00 am
Last Post: Annik
  Your Personal Hell Deluxe Cinjin 35 13844 December 22, 2011 at 11:31 pm
Last Post: Rokcet Scientist
  Why Religion is corrupt (on a personal note) WWLD 44 17442 February 7, 2009 at 12:54 pm
Last Post: chatpilot
  My personal experience with Pentecostalism chatpilot 4 2124 January 24, 2009 at 12:52 pm
Last Post: chatpilot