Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 12:06 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Google vs. Privacy (discussion on facebook)
Google vs. Privacy (discussion on facebook)
TFS: I don't understand how Google is getting away with having the hardware capable of illegally intercepting encrypted WiFi signals in the street view car. The street view car's only purpose was to take pictures. How did encryption breaking WiFi signal receptors get mixed in with photography?

Quote:House panel presses Facebook, Google on privacy edition.cnn.com
The U.S. Congress' interest in probing Facebook's and Google's privacy practices keeps growing.

friend that goes to Penn university: haha we were just discussing this is one of my classes.

TFS: what was the discussion's conclusion?

friend: In a nutshell: google can get away with pretty much anything since it's complient when the gov. wants to regulate something in the internet (which is highly effective since 60% of web browsing starts through google).

TFS: nice. i really don't like this... but Google is somewhat transparent about how many times the US gov has asked for information to be censored (just not about 'what information' since that would defeat the purpose). i really don't like how Google got away with scrolling around the country in a car with illegal technology disguised as just a camera ...

TFS: why did they even admit it? was it because they realized they were going against their 'don't do evil' informal policy?

friend: Google CEO Schmidt response to that: "If you have something that you don't want anyone to know, maybe you shouldn't be doing it in the first place."
They do it because they can.

update: Google might not have been recording information from encrypted WiFi signals, rather they were recording info. from insecure networks.
RE: Google vs. Privacy (discussion on facebook)
Google knew it was going on, because there was a budget set for that project there were people brain storming that idea, you really think Google will let somebody to tarnish its image like that ? it's in my believe that Google is not innocent thus should be punished and they still have not handed the hard drive to the Germans police, what Google did is consided espionage since this information could be used to market gains, and information sharing.

Google also records what you search on the search engine, its on by default it records everything you look up, log into your account and disable it
https://www.google.com/history/

Google is using this to profile people, or should i say the CIA or NSA has a hand in this. why would a search engine log search results
(June 18, 2010 at 6:23 pm)mysoogals Wrote: Google is using this to profile people, or should i say the CIA or NSA has a hand in this. why would a search engine log search results

I think there is value in profiling for Google. They'll be able to find out which ads their users would be most interested in: targeted ads. However, I agree with you about their unlawful acts concerning the street-view car and so does the government, I guess, because they are being prosecuted. link: http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/security/201...-40089204/
(June 18, 2010 at 6:23 pm)mysoogals Wrote: why would a search engine log search results
The same reason any company keeps logs of it's customers. Even if you disable Web History, Google keep the log; it just isn't viewable by you. It's useful for dozens of reasons: advertisements, trends, stats, etc.

Google is a company providing a service (for free I might add). Why wouldn't it keep logs of how people use the service?
(June 19, 2010 at 5:44 am)Tiberius Wrote:
(June 18, 2010 at 6:23 pm)mysoogals Wrote: why would a search engine log search results
The same reason any company keeps logs of it's customers. Even if you disable Web History, Google keep the log; it just isn't viewable by you. It's useful for dozens of reasons: advertisements, trends, stats, etc.

Google is a company providing a service (for free I might add). Why wouldn't it keep logs of how people use the service?

This is why I use NoScript and CookieMonster Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheist Discussion down Thumpalumpacus 16 1206 June 15, 2022 at 7:56 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  As Seen on Facebook . . . Shell B 289 27038 August 10, 2021 at 10:19 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  What is Facebook and do you find it valuable Rhizomorph13 22 1251 July 29, 2020 at 5:40 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  [split] PSA: Hate Speech (discussion of video etc) Huggy Bear 223 7762 May 3, 2019 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Panel Discussion on Personally Influential Books Neo-Scholastic 20 2386 November 20, 2018 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Civil Commentary on the R'lyeh commentary on Civil Discussion Threads Whateverist 5 1233 November 18, 2018 at 12:43 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Let's heathenize facebook Foxaèr 8 1027 March 21, 2018 at 3:38 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  [split] AF Hall of Shame, various discussion including Denmark & bible contradiction Edwardo Piet 181 13780 March 1, 2018 at 5:49 pm
Last Post: Huggy Bear
  Middlesex discussion thread Whateverist 0 479 October 23, 2017 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Discussion topics you will never see here vorlon13 90 9998 September 20, 2017 at 7:38 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama