Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 10:01 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Worrds "Shit" and "Fuck" - A Scholarly Treatise of their Uses and Etymoloty
The Worrds "Shit" and "Fuck" - A Scholarly Treatise of their Uses and Etymoloty
A Brief Etymology
Urban legend has it that the word “shit” was a nautical acronym. Back in the day when manure was shipped low in the belly of wooden ships, moisture would get in and the process of fermentation would release methane gas. This is a highly flammable gas. All it took was some fool to go down there with a lantern or cigarette and blow the whole thing to smithereens. So to keep the manure dry, they would stamp it with the acronym S.H.I.T. (Ship High In Transit).

Thus the word “shit” came to be used for the end product of digestion. It is also used to describe nonsense, ex. “Don’t start that shit with me.”

Two urban legends claim to describe the etymology of the word “fuck.”
1. The word “fuck” owes its ontology to the Church. Then they used to hang people for engaging in sex outside of marriage, they would hang a sign over their bodies that read, “For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge.”
2. King Henry VIII engaged in royal pimpdom, would have the acronym F.U.C.K. tattooed on the necks of his girls. It stood for “Fornication Under Consent of the King.” When men saw that, they knew they had to pay the king.
Fuck is used in many ways.
1. An act of pure animal lust. Ex. Clinton: We didn’t have sex. We just fucked.
2. As a curse: ex. Fuck you.
3. A disdainful person. Ex. Fucking cops
4. A sorry state of affairs. Ex. This is really fucked up.
5. For emphasis. Ex. Get the fuck out of my face.
6. For comedy. A comedian doesn’t even have to be funny. All he has to do is get up on stage and say “Fuck” and the audience will be rolling.
My own personal relationship with the words shit and fuck began when I joined AF. Before AF, I was of the opinion that people used these words to hide a limited vocabulary. My boy Minimalist disabused me of this misconception. When I first came to AF Min cussed me out royally. I started to dismiss him as unintelligent but found that I could not. The man proved to be a genius. His posts impressed me and I began to appreciate him and he me. Soon I began to use the word and relished in the freedom of saying it and not giving a fuck. It’s a lovely word. But I felt it wasn’t strong enough to depict the disdain we felt for really stupid people. The honorable Cato agreed.
http://rhondadenisejohnson.com/Jam.mp3
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: The Worrds "Shit" and "Fuck" - A Scholarly Treatise of their U...
(November 16, 2015 at 9:25 am)Rhondazvous Wrote: A Brief Etymology
Urban legend has it that the word “shit” was a nautical acronym. Back in the day when manure was shipped low in the belly of wooden ships, moisture would get in and the process of fermentation would release methane gas. This is a highly flammable gas. All it took was some fool to go down there with a lantern or cigarette and blow the whole thing to smithereens. So to keep the manure dry, they would stamp it with the acronym S.H.I.T. (Ship High In Transit).

Considering that the word "shit" has older forms, like "scite", or "scitte" the hypothesis, that it's an acronym is highly unlikely to be true.

(November 16, 2015 at 9:25 am)Rhondazvous Wrote: Two urban legends claim to describe the etymology of the word “fuck.”
1. The word “fuck” owes its ontology to the Church. Then they used to hang people for engaging in sex outside of marriage, they would hang a sign over their bodies that read, “For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge.”
2. King Henry VIII engaged in royal pimpdom, would have the acronym F.U.C.K. tattooed on the necks of his girls. It stood for “Fornication Under Consent of the King.” When men saw that, they knew they had to pay the king.

Yeah, none of that is true either, I'm afraid. Which is usually the case with urban - or any other kind of - legends.
The actual etymology of "fuck" is not exactly clear, but as a general rule we can discount the idea, that acronyms had a major role in creating common words in the Middle Ages, or in fact as late as XIX century, because most people, who would use words like "shit" or "fuck" couldn't read.
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
RE: The Worrds "Shit" and "Fuck" - A Scholarly Treatise of their Uses and Etymoloty
Ah, party pooper! I liked those stories Tongue

Two of my favourite words.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
RE: The Worrds "Shit" and "Fuck" - A Scholarly Treatise of their Uses and Etymoloty
My personal favourite swear 'cunt' apparently shares the same root as the word 'queen' - cuna (or possibly quna, I forget).

So when I say 'The Queen is a cunt' I'm just being historically accurate :3
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
I forget if I posted this before:

http://www.medievalists.net/2015/09/10/t...iscovered/

"The earliest use of the F-word discovered"

Quote:An English historian has come across the word ‘fuck’ in a court case dating to the year 1310, making it the earliest known reference to the swear word.

Dr Paul Booth of Keele University spotted the name in ‘Roger Fuckebythenavele’ in the Chester county court plea rolls beginning on December 8, 1310. The man was being named three times part of a process to be outlawed, with the final mention coming on September 28, 1311.

Dr Booth believes that “this surname is presumably a nickname. I suggest it could either mean an actual attempt at copulation by an inexperienced youth, later reported by a rejected girlfriend, or an equivalent of the word ‘dimwit’ i.e. a man who might think that that was the correct way to go about it.”
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
Didn't we have a guy who called himself Lord Fuckingsworth or something?
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(November 16, 2015 at 9:51 am)TheRealJoeFish Wrote: I forget if I posted this before:

"The F word?" New baby, ain't gone be no cussing on the sly. We're all over 21, so let's call a spade a spade and say FUCK.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

--Voltaire

(November 16, 2015 at 2:24 pm)Rhondazvous Wrote:
(November 16, 2015 at 9:51 am)TheRealJoeFish Wrote: I forget if I posted this before:

"The F word?" New baby, ain't gone be no cussing on the sly. We're all over 21, so let's call a spade a  spade and say FUCK.

Haha... just the title of the article! I try to work "fuck" into every article I write, even if it's not about the word fuck!*

*Not actually true
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
(November 16, 2015 at 10:05 am)robvalue Wrote: Didn't we have a guy who called himself Lord Fuckingsworth or something?

I do know one guy here who could easily be sworn in as Sir Fuckalot based on the posts he thinks I don't see or hopes I do see. I should write a novel with a main character named John Fuckington.

--Voltaire

Cussing in Ohio is damn near dialect. If it wasn't for formal meetings where we have to clean it up and the like, I don't think we'd even recognize it as cussing.

ETA: Another use of fuck in the form "fucking" that I didn't see outlined is as a replacement for "Uhm" or "Uh". Ex. "That fuckiiiin' one guy, I forget his name." That gets used a whole bunch around here, and it takes a lot for me to not judge because it does sound pretty stupid. It's the drawn out "i" that sounds so dumb. Fuckiiiiin. Sounds lazy. But I just get used to it and find myself doing it sometimes.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Time for some Halloween shit. brewer 142 5072 November 4, 2023 at 4:12 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  What the fuck even is my life Ahriman 30 1370 August 27, 2023 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: MR. Macabre 666
  Am I the only one who hasn't reset their clocks for Daylight Savings yet? Angrboda 5 283 November 24, 2020 at 2:56 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Why does everyone want to advertise in their signature? Foxaèr 2 336 September 14, 2020 at 8:23 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  My shit ass job just called me back up CarveTheFive 25 1968 May 9, 2020 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: Mr.wizard
  What we really lost in all this shit... Gawdzilla Sama 7 1139 April 20, 2020 at 10:58 pm
Last Post: Little lunch
  What to get an ABBA fan for their birthday. Brian37 30 2178 September 17, 2019 at 5:12 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Stupid shit you've seen. Gawdzilla Sama 44 5729 December 26, 2018 at 9:57 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  The queen doesn't half talk some shit Cod 11 2060 December 26, 2018 at 9:28 am
  I’m too old for this shit! J a c k 42 3048 September 26, 2018 at 10:34 am