Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 4:18 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will there ever be a show greater than The Simpsons?
Will there ever be a show greater than The Simpsons?
Probably some of the most clever writing I've ever seen is in the 90's Simpsons episodes. You know the best seasons, about season 4 to season 7, but there were good episodes before and some after that as well. The stories, the character development, how well they manage to make us laugh, how clever the jokes can be in terms of irony, satire, how well they can be at subtle humor or visual humor, geek humor, etc., or even connect with them on an emotional level at times, I have not seen a show that can match the writing of the Simpsons.

Yes Family Guy can bring laughs but their jokes aren't very clever and the stories and character development seem almost like just stock cliches and whatever. South Park on the other hand, while maybe not as clever as the Simpsons, are very good at what they do, and usually that is making absurd stories or good commentary, or even both. It seems half the time they are satirizing current events or certain trends, the other half of the show is putting the characters in these silly absurd scenarios. I'd say it's up there but it's not as great however as the Simpsons because, well, the stories and jokes still aren't as clever or relateable as the Simpsons. 

The only show that seems to come close is cancelled, again. That show is Futurama. Well, that and perhaps The Critic. Yeah I know there's also King Of The Hill and Beavis & Butthead, and a bunch of other shows. But to be frank, King Of The Hill was only good for the first 2 seasons. It stopped being as funny and it started getting needlessly complex, which took away from it. Beavis & Butthead was just silly. I like it but it's not even close to being clever in its writing. Same could be said for Archer or Metalocalypse or any of those shows. 

I think the Simpsons even beats the live action sit-coms that I've seen. That isn't to say there aren't good ones out there, but none as great.

One can also not ignore the cultural impact the Simpsons have made above all others. You reference the Simpsons and you get the same response that you'd get if you referenced the 3 stooges or I Love Lucy. It's not just another show, it's an icon. If all the cartoon shows were cancelled right now, in 20 years the Simpsons would most likely be looked back on more so than Family Guy or South Park. That fact alone also raises the Simpsons above the others. 

So what are your thoughts? Do you think other shows could be as great as the Simpsons? Do you think the Simpsons is an over-rated show that doesn't live up to their hype?
RE: Will there ever be a show greater than The Simpsons?
Ugly Americans

Fireball XL5

Tripping the Rift
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(November 18, 2015 at 3:05 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: Ugly Americans

Fireball XL5

Tripping the Rift

I didn't care for any of those.  Tongue
Haven't watched the Simpsons since the movie came out.

Has it improved?

Oh, and Supernatural
Dying to live, living to die.
Rick and Morty.

/thread
(November 18, 2015 at 4:47 pm)Vic Wrote: Rick and Morty.

/thread

Watched one episode of that.

Ended up turning it off.  Still have it on my media player but I've been thinking of deleting it to make space.
It's a subjective question but seriously? The worst of Star Trek beats the best of The Simpsons for me. Even if you want to limit to the genre to sitcoms, Gilligan's Island is far superior IMHO.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
(November 18, 2015 at 4:57 pm)Beccs Wrote:
(November 18, 2015 at 4:47 pm)Vic Wrote: Rick and Morty.

/thread

Watched one episode of that.

Ended up turning it off.  Still have it on my media player but I've been thinking of deleting it to make space.

Honestly? If all you watched was the pilot, I kinda get why you'd defer on that show. It doesn't really hit its stride until a few episodes in, but once it does it never really gets off of it, barring maybe one or two weaker episodes in the second season.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(November 18, 2015 at 3:02 pm)Mechaghostman2 Wrote: Probably some of the most clever writing I've ever seen is in the 90's Simpsons episodes. You know the best seasons, about season 4 to season 7, but there were good episodes before and some after that as well. The stories, the character development, how well they manage to make us laugh, how clever the jokes can be in terms of irony, satire, how well they can be at subtle humor or visual humor, geek humor, etc., or even connect with them on an emotional level at times, I have not seen a show that can match the writing of the Simpsons.

Yes Family Guy can bring laughs but their jokes aren't very clever and the stories and character development seem almost like just stock cliches and whatever. South Park on the other hand, while maybe not as clever as the Simpsons, are very good at what they do, and usually that is making absurd stories or good commentary, or even both. It seems half the time they are satirizing current events or certain trends, the other half of the show is putting the characters in these silly absurd scenarios. I'd say it's up there but it's not as great however as the Simpsons because, well, the stories and jokes still aren't as clever or relateable as the Simpsons. 

The only show that seems to come close is cancelled, again. That show is Futurama. Well, that and perhaps The Critic. Yeah I know there's also King Of The Hill and Beavis & Butthead, and a bunch of other shows. But to be frank, King Of The Hill was only good for the first 2 seasons. It stopped being as funny and it started getting needlessly complex, which took away from it. Beavis & Butthead was just silly. I like it but it's not even close to being clever in its writing. Same could be said for Archer or Metalocalypse or any of those shows. 

I think the Simpsons even beats the live action sit-coms that I've seen. That isn't to say there aren't good ones out there, but none as great.

One can also not ignore the cultural impact the Simpsons have made above all others. You reference the Simpsons and you get the same response that you'd get if you referenced the 3 stooges or I Love Lucy. It's not just another show, it's an icon. If all the cartoon shows were cancelled right now, in 20 years the Simpsons would most likely be looked back on more so than Family Guy or South Park. That fact alone also raises the Simpsons above the others. 

So what are your thoughts? Do you think other shows could be as great as the Simpsons? Do you think the Simpsons is an over-rated show that doesn't live up to their hype?

I pretty much agree with you, but if I was to choose which cartoon I'd like to watch now, it probably wouldn't be the Simpsons just because of the fact that I watched them to DEATH in the 90s. 
With family guy and southpark I change my mind quite a lot about, I used to think southpark was better because it does involve very clever satirical plot lines. My favourite examples are make love not warcraft, imagination land and the one about guitar hero.  I also like the really random 80s film references, like scarface and total recall. 
But southpark can sometimes fall pretty flat in some episodes and maybe family guy is more reliable, I think you have to like random humour to like family guy.  I remember one episode where Peter randomly smokes crack and he punches through a wall, gouges his own eye out then jumps up through the ceiling, I thought that was one of the funniest things I've seen but the girl watching it with me was just blank faced.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

(November 18, 2015 at 5:06 pm)Esquilax Wrote:
(November 18, 2015 at 4:57 pm)Beccs Wrote: Watched one episode of that.

Honestly? If all you watched was the pilot, I kinda get why you'd defer on that show. It doesn't really hit its stride until a few episodes in, but once it does it never really gets off of it, barring maybe one or two weaker episodes in the second season.

Alright, I'll give it another go, at your recommendation.

If it doesn't get better, however:

[Image: Wicker-Man3.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "Undercover Boss" TV show. Brian37 13 619 June 20, 2021 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  It's Mads, Mads I tell you! But for the greater good. Gawdzilla Sama 10 479 November 28, 2020 at 4:14 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Do you have a favorite HGTV show? Foxaèr 1 271 July 29, 2020 at 10:42 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Stupidest show airing on television? Foxaèr 31 1703 July 22, 2020 at 7:02 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Dog v Cats, a cable show......... Brian37 9 791 May 17, 2020 at 3:42 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Dear Hunter, another cop show. Brian37 35 2810 February 6, 2020 at 5:43 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  I loved the show MASH... BUT.... Brian37 61 4123 May 4, 2019 at 6:29 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  TV show "Hunter" and Tv show "MASH" Brian37 11 1013 April 20, 2019 at 1:27 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  New Trek show... The Valkyrie 100 9140 August 13, 2018 at 8:27 am
Last Post: Mystic
  CBS to make show about black atheist.... Brian37 1 320 July 20, 2018 at 5:16 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr