Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 6:33 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why did God require a sacrifice of Himself to Himself?
Why did God require a sacrifice of Himself to Himself?
I know that i'm an Atheist but The thread asks the question, I look forward to some answers.
[Image: britishatheist.jpg]
RE: Why did God require a sacrifice of Himself to Himself?
Why?? Skunk
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Hey....what's that compared to the rest of the bullshit story?

[Image: christianity-explained-god-demotivationa...455582.jpg]
I just don't get that whole story at all. Dumb, dumb, dumb. I was told my my crazed, super religious nephew that I should read the bible. I laughed at him.
binnyCoffee
Good question. My guess would be that the god you're talking about is really into the circular business. It's kind of a hallmark.
"I'm like a rabbit suddenly trapped, in the blinding headlights of vacuous crap" - Tim Minchin in "Storm"
Christianity is perfect bullshit, christians are not - Purple Rabbit, honouring CS Lewis
Faith is illogical - fr0d0
Regardless of whether it was himself or part of himself or something else entirety. Regardless of whether it actually happened or not and regardless as to the value of said sacrifice, Self-sacrifice is a cornerstone of Christianity. I hope that shortened the exchanging of ideas to a much smaller thread than this could turn into.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
Quote:Self-sacrifice is a cornerstone of Christianity.

Really?

When Urban II launched the Crusades he did not pick up a spear and lead them. He stayed on his fat ass in Rome.

I'd say conning other people into making "sacrifices" is the cornerstone of xtianity, tack.

(Of course, I admit to having a notoriously bad attitude on the subject!)
(June 23, 2010 at 3:41 pm)tackattack Wrote: Regardless of whether it was himself or part of himself or something else entirety. Regardless of whether it actually happened or not and regardless as to the value of said sacrifice, Self-sacrifice is a cornerstone of Christianity. I hope that shortened the exchanging of ideas to a much smaller thread than this could turn into.
You are not claiming christian monopoly on the idea are you, for the concept existed long before christ allegedly walked the earth?
"I'm like a rabbit suddenly trapped, in the blinding headlights of vacuous crap" - Tim Minchin in "Storm"
Christianity is perfect bullshit, christians are not - Purple Rabbit, honouring CS Lewis
Faith is illogical - fr0d0
(June 23, 2010 at 4:33 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:Self-sacrifice is a cornerstone of Christianity.

Really? When Urban II launched the Crusades he did not pick up a spear and lead them. He stayed on his fat ass in Rome. I'd say conning other people into making "sacrifices" is the cornerstone of xtianity, tack. (Of course, I admit to having a notoriously bad attitude on the subject!)

that's some genius right there.
(June 23, 2010 at 3:41 pm)tackattack Wrote: Regardless of whether it was himself or part of himself or something else entirety. Regardless of whether it actually happened or not and regardless as to the value of said sacrifice, Self-sacrifice is a cornerstone of Christianity. I hope that shortened the exchanging of ideas to a much smaller thread than this could turn into.

Yes, but Christianity teaches that Jesus died so God could forgive our sins. God killed a part of himself so he could forgive us? Surely self-sacrifice is only good because it pleases God (what a wonderful basis for morality!), so God's sacrificing himself would do bugger all good, as far as I can see. Of course, according to fundamentalists, most of the world's population is going to burn for eternity for either not believing the right dogma or for doing things which certain people are naturally inclined to do, so his sacrifice didn't really save us, anyway. Go God. I could run a universe better than he does while being mind-numblingly drunk and blindfolded and having had a major lobotomy.
'We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart.' H.L. Mencken

'False religion' is the ultimate tautology.

'It is just like man's vanity and impertinence to call an animal dumb because it is dumb to his dull perceptions.' Mark Twain

'I care not much for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it.' Abraham Lincoln

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did God play peek-a-boo? LinuxGal 36 3146 March 16, 2023 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  [Serious] For former Christians only, why did you leave your faith? Jehanne 159 13141 January 16, 2023 at 7:36 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Jerry Falwell Jnr "not a christian" and wanted to prove himself to not be like Snr GUBU 18 1957 November 1, 2022 at 8:57 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Why did Jesus suffer for sinners and not victims zwanzig 177 19150 June 9, 2021 at 11:14 am
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  Why did the Jews lie about Jesus? Fake Messiah 65 5868 March 28, 2019 at 5:32 pm
Last Post: Aliza
  Did Jesus call the Old Testament God the Devil, a Murderer and the Father of Lies? dude1 51 8499 November 6, 2018 at 12:46 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? vorlon13 92 9127 July 23, 2018 at 8:20 am
Last Post: SteveII
  Why, God? Why?! LadyForCamus 233 29813 June 5, 2018 at 12:57 pm
  The believer seems to know god better than he knows himself Foxaèr 43 8098 June 2, 2018 at 1:30 pm
  Why did god allow people to be born after the fall ? possibletarian 367 65360 November 24, 2017 at 1:59 am
Last Post: possibletarian