Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 4:48 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Appropriate Forum/Subforum
Appropriate Forum/Subforum
I've been reading the descriptions of each of the forums and subforums and trying to decide where to post a thread.

Specifically, I want to open a thread on one specific argument theists use in their attempt to prove that god exists. The argument is NOT specific to Christianity or Islam, etc. so that seems to rule out those subforums. Bummer, because the Christianity forum is the most active!

I could post in Atheism, but if it's an argument FOR the existence of God (and not FOR Atheism), it might be out of place there. Also, after posting a similar thread in the Atheism forum, I have noticed that not many theists have contributed to the thread, and that makes for a stale discussion. Maybe theists aren't naturally drawn to that forum, but it would be more interesting to get good input from both sides.

That seems to leave the "Religion" forum...parent forum of the Christianity and Muslim subforums...but I dunno.

Any guidance on what most forum members would prefer based on past practice, etc.?

Thanks.
RE: Appropriate Forum/Subforum
Religion forum.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
Quote: Specifically, I want to open a thread on one specific argument theists use in their attempt to prove that god exists.

Try Humor.
(December 12, 2015 at 12:30 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Religion forum.

Or philosophy, depending on the nature of the argument.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
Hi,

If your question/thread is about religion per se, then, as Catholic_Lady says, I would think the religion forum is the best location.

But don't worry, we won't usually mind too much unless we get requests to move it or it's quite obviously in the wrong place.

Any problems please let me or someone else on the staff know ^_^
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
(December 12, 2015 at 12:30 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Religion forum.

(December 12, 2015 at 1:14 pm)Pandæmonium Wrote: Hi,

If your question/thread is about religion per se, then, as Catholic_Lady says, I would think the religion forum is the best location.

But don't worry, we won't usually mind too much unless we get requests to move it or it's quite obviously in the wrong place.

Any problems please let me or someone else on the staff know ^_^

Thanks!

See ya there!
The longer you stick around, the more you'll realize where certain posts go. For instance, there are several threads in Off Topic that should be in Ryleh or, because of their nature, even A69.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
I almost always use "Today's Posts" and rarely, if ever, know (or care) what forum a thread is in.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which would be the appropriate section for certain movie discussions Astonished 2 1222 January 2, 2017 at 8:37 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  Conspiracy Theories Subforum? Heat 46 7144 May 5, 2016 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  New subforum Joods 9 1926 February 15, 2016 at 8:14 am
Last Post: Aoi Magi
  Suggestion about new subforum Excited Penguin 49 9099 July 10, 2015 at 4:17 am
Last Post: Napoléon
  Would a Testing subforum with a stickied 'test post thread' be useful at this time? Angrboda 0 1191 April 2, 2015 at 11:36 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  appropriate avatar Phatt Matt s 46 9184 March 23, 2014 at 12:27 pm
Last Post: Phatt Matt s
  Proposition about a new subforum for children KichigaiNeko 70 9694 November 16, 2011 at 3:53 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  Proposal for a new subforum under Discussion Anomalocaris 15 6821 October 20, 2010 at 1:48 am
Last Post: Shell B
  Gaming subforum: gamer wants! Violet 16 5577 May 3, 2010 at 4:51 pm
Last Post: mrjack