Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 3:51 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Proposal for a new subforum under Discussion
Proposal for a new subforum under Discussion
I think many of us had issue with close friend or relatives who strongly held points of view on the issue of faith vs reason that is opposite to our own. I personally had an unpleasant experience, where I dealt with the conflict badly and hurt someone quite seriously. I think a subforum dedicated to sharing experience on how to deal with the conflict this caused, or any pleasant or unpleasant outcome this created, would be helpful. This forum should demand some self sensorship so one who agrees with a poster's point of view would refrain from insulting the poster's friend or relation which the poster's thread is about.
RE: Proposal for a new subforum under Discussion
Confessional booth?
(October 12, 2010 at 9:23 pm)Chuck Wrote: I think many of us had issue with close friend or relatives who strongly held points of view on the issue of faith vs reason that is opposite to our own. I personally had an unpleasant experience, where I dealt with the conflict badly and hurt someone quite seriously. I think a subforum dedicated to sharing experience on how to deal with the conflict this caused, or any pleasant or unpleasant outcome this created, would be helpful. This forum should demand some self sensorship so one who agrees with a poster's point of view would refrain from insulting the poster's friend or relation which the poster's thread is about.

"Posters friends"? you mean like IM buddies? lol.. this is online.

As a matter of fact I can quite proudly say that I've lost a childhood friend and a girlfriend who were both christians as a result of their inability to take a ration of constructive criticisim now and again.

But does that concern me? It did initially, but nah.. fuck it. If people can't take what you've got to say then they aren't worth having around you in the first place.

^ if that was what you were getting at.
[Image: cassandrasaid.jpg]
A forum for troubled atheists? A support group? If you need someone to talk to just message me and I will gladly talk with you. I hate it when other people have problems so I don't mind helping you out. Big Grin
Quote:"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity. "
Martin Luther King, Jr.
Quote:If people can't take what you've got to say then they aren't worth having around you in the first place.

Tolerance cuts both ways. If I'm unable to accept a friend as is,then I am no friend. Isn't their loss is also minimal?.Thinking
(October 13, 2010 at 7:33 pm)padraic Wrote:
Quote:If people can't take what you've got to say then they aren't worth having around you in the first place.

Tolerance cuts both ways. If I'm unable to accept a friend as is,then I am no friend. Isn't their loss is also minimal?.Thinking

I prefer to think that i'm being a true friend when I point out their mistake and offer to help them fix it. Constructive criticism only. I mean you wouldn't be considered a real friend if you stood by and let a friend drink themselves to death, I see religious pollution in exactly the same way.
[Image: cassandrasaid.jpg]
It's being discussed.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
I don't see why we need a dedicated forum for this. Can't you just use the "Atheism" forum or the "Religion" forum instead? Forums are supposed to cover quite general topics...
I had in mind something that doesn't deal with atheism or religion per se. Instead it deals with how to handle someone of the opposite conviction in your life without going off into tangents about whether atheism or theism is better or more justified.

Quote:A forum for troubled atheists? A support group? If you need someone to talk to just message me and I will gladly talk with you. I hate it when other people have problems so I don't mind helping you out.

They could ask God Wink.

Its ok to have doubt, just dont let that doubt become the answers.

You dont hate God, you hate the church game.

"God is not what you imagine or what you think you understand. If you understand you have failed." Saint Augustine

Your mind works very simply: you are either trying to find out what are God's laws in order to follow them; or you are trying to outsmart Him. -Martin H. Fischer

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What happened to the "Civil Discussion" thread? Angrboda 48 7624 November 19, 2018 at 9:13 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Make the "civil" discussion part of the forum invisible to non members GUBU 54 8179 November 18, 2018 at 10:59 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Conspiracy Theories Subforum? Heat 46 7384 May 5, 2016 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  New subforum Joods 9 1945 February 15, 2016 at 8:14 am
Last Post: Aoi Magi
  Appropriate Forum/Subforum athrock 7 1823 December 12, 2015 at 2:24 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  A Serious Proposal Randy Carson 97 12422 September 23, 2015 at 1:06 am
Last Post: Pizza
  Suggestion about new subforum Excited Penguin 49 9203 July 10, 2015 at 4:17 am
Last Post: Napoléon
  Would a Testing subforum with a stickied 'test post thread' be useful at this time? Angrboda 0 1195 April 2, 2015 at 11:36 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  [split] Discussion About Potential Rule Change and Staff Action Shell B 94 42808 June 2, 2012 at 1:27 pm
Last Post: kılıç_mehmet
  Proposition about a new subforum for children KichigaiNeko 70 9759 November 16, 2011 at 3:53 am
Last Post: fr0d0