Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 8:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why are some people on the internet such dicks
Why are some people on the internet such dicks
I am a very nice person. I try to have a reasonable discussion with others on the web, on sites like Facebook. I constantly run into ignorant comments left by people and they will just resort in name calling. I may be liberal, but I respect everyone's points of views. Or every now and then I'll run into someone who's apparently served in the military and they'll tell me it makes them sick that people like me exist in this country when they're fighting for my freedom to be a "Libtard". Aren't people in the army taught to have respect and honor? I mean...I'm a University student, but I don't talk down to people.
RE: Why are some people on the internet such dicks
Ignorance isn't just on the internet. It's all over the place. The thing to remember is this:

You are not required to show up to every argument you are invited to.
In other words: Pick your battles. Some just aren't worth fighting.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
You can't really get dope slapped on the internet. They hide behind their anonymity.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

The internet allows anonymity that cannot be found in real life, and thus the internet is an outlet for those who need a type of release.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(December 18, 2015 at 12:19 am)Chad32 Wrote: You can't really get dope slapped on the internet. They hide behind their anonymity.

Exactly. No fear of physical repercussions.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
I was going to comment glibly about replacing the second "h" in the thread title with a "k"...

but then I'd be one of the people the thread was (originally) talking about
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
Mean people suck. On or off the internet. But when they're mean only on the internet, they're cowards as well.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
Yeah, but the psychological aspects to internet/social media are real and can end in suicide.
You'll find that an arsehole on the net is usually an arsehole in real life...

Then there's Poe's and trolls... They're just harmless frustrated dicks for the most part.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
So what's the verdict? Are there just tons of total  Swear  in the world who have to hide it in order to not get the crap beaten out of them, or is there something special about the internet that turns normal people bad? If there is, then I must be immune to it.

Relevant --> http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GIFT
John Adams Wrote:The Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.
(December 18, 2015 at 12:17 am)godzilla_22 Wrote: I am a very nice person. I try to have a reasonable discussion with others on the web, on sites like Facebook. I constantly run into ignorant comments left by people and they will just resort in name calling. I may be liberal, but I respect everyone's points of views. Or every now and then I'll run into someone who's apparently served in the military and they'll tell me it makes them sick that people like me exist in this country when they're fighting for my freedom to be a "Libtard". Aren't people in the army taught to have respect and honor? I mean...I'm a University student, but I don't talk down to people.

My husband, who has been in the military twice, says mostly they are taught to disdain civilians.  Respect and honor are reserved for other service people only.  Perhaps that was not true in the past, but is true of current training.  This was a serious answer.  If this is true, then this sort of attitude is unsurprising.
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  You think people who hate Queen Elizabeth 2 is same reason MAGA people hated Obama Woah0 13 1253 December 20, 2022 at 3:55 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Why People Ignore Facts (Gun Control) Jade-Green Stone 22 1591 December 5, 2018 at 9:03 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Why does Politics bring out the worst in so many people? GODZILLA 21 1979 October 10, 2018 at 9:09 am
Last Post: Draconic Aiur
  Why are you American people, careless? A-g-n-o-s-t-i-c 27 2154 September 11, 2018 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  If Blacks have superior dicks, then explain highest risk of infecting AIDS Konboa 8 1299 September 5, 2018 at 12:14 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Why do countries in the middle east allow religion to have such an influence? GODZILLA 11 1242 April 12, 2018 at 4:44 am
Last Post: Ruckus123
  Why Do You Rep People? Jenny A 44 2858 March 29, 2018 at 2:31 pm
Last Post: GODZILLA
  DRUMPFUCKS BEING DICKS Vol. I Minimalist 390 50733 December 21, 2017 at 11:33 am
Last Post: NuclearEnergy
  Why do people get angry seeing a Burqa ErGingerbreadMandude 65 9683 October 4, 2017 at 11:03 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  Why are people so affraid of anarchy? FlatAssembler 152 29693 September 12, 2017 at 9:32 pm
Last Post: Amarok