Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:38 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New vid: argument from ignorance explained through mining
New vid: argument from ignorance explained through mining
I put this in the religious section because it addresses an argument used incredibly frequently by some theists, and they can't seem to grasp why it isn't valid.

The "argument from ignorance" (which is just the name it happens to have, it's not meant to be an insult) is the claim that a statement is (probably) true because it can't be shown to be false. My new video below demonstrates why this argument does not work, so please, please stop using it.

http://youtu.be/BzxMXzdaxtI
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
RE: New vid: argument from ignorance explained through mining
I'll just give this a bump then I'll let it drop Smile

Any feedback welcome.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
I love the accent and the video is a fine demonstration of that logical fallacy. Honestly though, I think the subject matter is kind of over-discussed already. People on the internet are obsessed with logical fallacies and other people's use of them (and the wikipedia list of them). I think the topic of them is over used and often times misused to end a conversation.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
I find logical fallacies fascinating and learning them is important for avoiding them. (cognitive biases are also interesting as well). Turning my music off to watch the video now.
Which religious person has used this argument on this forum?
Just about all of them, you did so the other day saying I hadn't shown knowledge of God doesn't exist; as if that is a reason to believe it does exist.

Index of my best videos
Ok finished watching.

Fucking brilliant Rob. I am already familar with the logical fallacy The Argument from Ignorance and I comprehend it because I'm good at abstract thinking...

...but I really thoroughally enjoyed your video AND still got something from it. Your analogy is fucking awesome. It allows me to grasp it more intutively and habitually with that visual metaphor. What an amazing analogy. It means I don't have to stop and think as much "Is this the Argument from Ignorance? Looks like it is." I can just spot it more easily and swiftly.

That's why analogies are so awesome. They illuminate things so well, when they're a truly good analogy like this one, so even if you already understand the logic abstractly you can still take something from it.

Really really enjoyed it .

+ LMFAO all your videos are so damn entertaining. I assume it was totally deliberate. I noticed the little hidden joke in the video, the Easter Egg. I will leave the spoiler of the hidden joke in this video as optional under a hide tag for those who can't find it:

Spoiler for hidden joke in video:

I highly and strongly recommend Robs video for everyone including those who understand the fallacy in abstract but don't have an analogy for it yet. Awesome.
To be honest, the most common logical fallacy I've seen on these forums is misapplication of logical fallacies to where there are none (which is a form of a straw man) by giving the sense the person is saying this and this which is a form of a fallacy.
Wow, thanks Evie! It kind of hit me out of nowhere one day, as an analogy. Poor analogies often confuse things more than they help, but I felt this one really gets to the point of the absurd nature of the argument.

Haha yes, that was a deliberate Easter egg, I knew you'd like it Big Grin And I tried to make it entertaining as I know you would probably like my silly sense of humour!

Index of my best videos
(December 30, 2015 at 4:04 pm)robvalue Wrote: Just about all of them, you did so the other day saying I hadn't shown knowledge of God doesn't exist; as if that is a reason to believe it does exist.

See, I never gave the impression that this was reason to believe it does exist. That's you doing a straw man. I'm stating you've asserted your viewpoint which you haven't proven and I am stating a viewpoint which opposes that viewpoint and doesn't take any of what you asserted to be facts which I haven't proven. 

This just proves my point. People want to label everything with a logical fallacy, that they constantly straw man a person's post or discussion and miss what the person is trying to say.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Islam - the Peaceful Religion: Explained Darwins Disciple 31 3483 August 26, 2018 at 11:28 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Proof of Jesus through Personal testimony. Christianity over other faiths orthodox-man 46 8285 January 29, 2018 at 10:05 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  How has the church lost power through time? Macoleco 10 1004 September 28, 2017 at 8:46 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  New Darkmatter vid: indoctrination and reinforcement robvalue 14 2176 February 25, 2016 at 11:23 am
Last Post: Drich
  "I can't see the wishom behind babies dying from cancer" is argument from ignorance ReptilianPeon 16 4140 December 7, 2015 at 1:06 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Big bang & God explained ! reality.Mathematician 3 1247 June 19, 2014 at 3:19 am
Last Post: ShaMan
  Evolution, religion, and ignorance. Esquilax 341 78476 May 24, 2014 at 6:18 pm
Last Post: Chas
  Everything explained. There is a God - bugger! max-greece 13 4374 June 6, 2013 at 2:02 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  new thread for old RE: Atheists, what do you believe is the best argument for the existence of a deity? Mark 13:13 65 19731 January 23, 2013 at 9:03 pm
Last Post: ThomM
  Faith Through Fear NoFate 49 20071 July 6, 2012 at 6:44 am
Last Post: CliveStaples