Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 6:06 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Am I the only one who doesn't want to be called a "Skeptic"?
Am I the only one who doesn't want to be called a "Skeptic"?
I mean, it's not like I don't fit the bill, I totally am a skeptic. However, sometimes I feel like "Skeptic" can take on the connotation of rebelliousness. As in, some times the word comes across to me, as like that four year old who has to question everything, meaning like that person who plays the "Why?" game, and says "Why?" to every answer you give after the original question is proposed.

Louis CK is where I get the example from:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJlV49RDlLE

However, getting back on topic, something about the word appears to give this negative connotation, and I don't know why. It's the same thing with "Atheist", although I fit the description, I would rather not be labeled as it because of the connotation and attributes that come with it. I mean in reality, these connotations aren't what the word means, but it doesn't really matter, as people make inferences either way.

What are your thoughts?
Which is better:
To die with ignorance, or to live with intelligence?

Truth doesn't accommodate to personal opinions.
The choice is yours. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is God and there is man, it's only a matter of who created whom

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The more questions you ask, the more you realize that disagreement is inevitable, and communication of this disagreement, irrelevant.
RE: Am I the only one who doesn't want to be called a "Skeptic"?
Fuck 'em.
I suppose the perceived negative connotation might arise from what I've perceived as a common association between skepticism and cynicism. Personally I don't put much importance on personal labels beyond they're value as a device for classification. I am both an atheist and a skeptic, I meet the conditions for these classifications, but these terms say nothing about myself beyond what the terms mean. And an atheist is not necessarily a skeptic.
I am John Cena's hip-hop album.
(January 10, 2016 at 4:43 am)Heat Wrote: However, getting back on topic, something about the word appears to give this negative connotation, and I don't know why.

What are your thoughts?

"Something"...like....living within a society of religious busybodies and their ridiculous cultural assumptions?  That'd be my guess, as to where the negative connotation comes from.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
No, you're not on your own.

I prefer "sceptic" myself.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Educate people on what the words mean. Better that than appear dishonest about who you are or ashamed of it.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
I don't let other people determine my choice of words. "debunker" is one that the tinfoil hat crowd has long hated, but I use it when it's the appropriate word. They can live with it or not, there is no try.
I love being a skeptic Big Grin
Yeah, I gotta say...if folks assign negative connotations to the words I use in criticism of their absurd superstitions, or indeed to criticism of their absurd superstitions.......mission accomplished.  The additional weight of maintaining their negative associations can only increase the internal and external burden on their positions.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I'm proud to call myself a sceptic and an atheist Smile

I agree "sceptic" and "cynic" sometimes get used interchangeably. I would rather educate people on the correct meanings of the words, at least in a formal context. If you're dealing with dishonest people who are going to play stupid games no matter what you say, you may as well not talk to them at all.

But really, no one should have to identify as anything if they don't want to. I just like to do so to make it easier for the next person to announce it, and to (hopefully) add credibility to the labels.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A thing I saw on a site that I want to comment on ShinyCrystals 5 328 March 21, 2024 at 1:33 pm
Last Post: ShinyCrystals
  "You just want to be your own god"? zwanzig 48 4280 July 7, 2021 at 5:01 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Why God doesn't stop satan? purplepurpose 225 14511 June 28, 2021 at 1:52 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Local woman says only way she has survived during COVID is faith Tomatoshadow2 41 2772 December 21, 2020 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  How may one refute the religious stonewall argument "all is one"? Osopatata 29 2680 December 21, 2020 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
Photo Only 10% of the Nobel prize winners are atheist ? Now I am a Believer 90 6593 January 28, 2020 at 8:29 pm
Last Post: notimportant1234
  Only 10% of the Nobel prize winners are atheist ? Now I am a Believer 0 559 January 18, 2020 at 9:58 am
Last Post: Now I am a Believer
  How can you be sure that God doesn't exist? randomguy123 50 5753 August 14, 2019 at 10:46 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Do u want there to be a God? Any God? Agnostico 304 28634 December 19, 2018 at 1:20 am
Last Post: Amarok
  Do you know that homeopathy doesn't work, or do you just lack belief that it does? I_am_not_mafia 24 5173 August 25, 2018 at 4:34 am
Last Post: EgoDeath