Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 12:23 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UK Cop visits Detroit
UK Cop visits Detroit
Article about a UK cop that has been enthralled by the U.S. police and how different it is.  He chose recently to come to my native Detroit and live a day in the life of a Detroit Police Officer.  To say it was a culture shock is probably understating it.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/lo.../78913254/
We are not made happy by what we acquire but by what we appreciate.
RE: UK Cop visits Detroit
Very interesting read.

Thanks for sharing.
Dying to live, living to die.
I'm in my late 20s and I saw my first ever gun about 2 years ago outside a high court where they were transporting what I presumed was a dangerous criminal.

The article speaks the truth when it says there is no appetite here for arming police, but that obviously the U.S., and poor inner cities are a different kettle of fish.

A lot of british police are armed with tazers now, though every use of a tazer is usually investigated by an indepdent police body that monitors the use of firearms called the indepdent police complaints commission. Not every murder here makes national news, that's ridiculous.

Knife crime is a problem in certain but not many areas. Most of it, like in Detroit, is contained within poor inner city areas amongst poor communities. I've lived in my current post code for 6 years and the one single reported crime committed within a mile radius of me (according to the police website) was an 'affray' (punch up).

The UK is not a crime free paradise, which I think the article sort of want to implies, but I'd agree that whilst we of course have poverty and the social issues caused as a result, we don't have anything like Detroit.

Fascinating read, though.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
You can tell how bad Detroit is just by driving down some of the streets. There are large chunks where 1 out of every 4 houses is burned out and/or abandoned. It definitely looks as bad as it is.

Shit, I start wishing I had a gun when I go there.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(January 18, 2016 at 5:02 pm)Pandæmonium Wrote: The article speaks the truth when it says there is no appetite here for arming police, but that obviously the U.S., and poor inner cities are a different kettle of fish.

You know, I never got to the bottom of how the system of officers not carrying firearms came about in the UK. I ask that question for about a decade now and browsed the web intensively for some historic background, but I never found anything of value on the topic.

Do you know where it origins?
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(January 18, 2016 at 5:02 pm)Faith No More Wrote: You can tell how bad Detroit is just by driving down some of the streets.  There are large chunks where 1 out of every 4 houses is burned out and/or abandoned.  It definitely looks as bad as it is.

Shit, I start wishing I had a gun when I go there.

yeah I go down once a month, sometimes more but there are some areas I will never go.  Downtown commercial district isn't bad, but the surrounding neighborhoods, are not safe at all.
Never been there, but by all accounts it moved from boomtown to walking corpse within 2 decades.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(January 18, 2016 at 5:02 pm)Pandæmonium Wrote: I'm in my late 20s and I saw my first ever gun about 2 years ago outside a high court where they were transporting what I presumed was a dangerous criminal.

The article speaks the truth when it says there is no appetite here for arming police, but that obviously the U.S., and poor inner cities are a different kettle of fish.

A lot of british police are armed with tazers now, though every use of a tazer is usually investigated by an indepdent police body that monitors the use of firearms called the indepdent police complaints commission. Not every murder here makes national news, that's ridiculous.

Knife crime is a problem in certain but not many areas. Most of it, like in Detroit, is contained within poor inner city areas amongst poor communities. I've lived in my current post code for 6 years and the one single reported crime committed within a mile radius of me (according to the police website) was an 'affray' (punch up).

The UK is not a crime free paradise, which I think the article sort of want to implies, but I'd agree that whilst we of course have poverty and the social issues caused as a result, we don't have anything like Detroit.

Fascinating read, though.

Interesting.  The article also speaks the truth in regards to murders not even being covered by local news.  There are literally so many it's hardly news anymore, more like a footnote next to a sports game.  Also the scene they described of the juvenile with a gun down his pants ready to shoot up a cop car, is literally every day.  I saw my first gun when I was 8 and it was outside my school.  Saw quite a few throughout my school years, both in school and in the neighborhoods.  The struggle is real and in some ways even worse than it's portrayed.
(January 18, 2016 at 5:18 pm)abaris Wrote: Never been there, but by all accounts it moved from boomtown to walking corpse within 2 decades.

Very true.  This article covers it at a high level.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decline_of_Detroit
Aussie cops carry guns, but most Kiwi cops don't.

It can be a bit of a culture shock, both ways.
Dying to live, living to die.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Principal forced to resign over Michelangelo's David visits sculpture zebo-the-fat 11 871 April 30, 2023 at 9:48 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  BREAKING: Muslims confronting ISIS terrorist and save Austrian Wounded Cop. WinterHold 18 1228 November 5, 2020 at 12:25 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Take them to Detroit,,,,,, Or prison... Brian37 70 3223 October 15, 2020 at 11:41 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  If you wonder how bad Detroit hospitals really are? onlinebiker 11 585 October 9, 2020 at 2:42 pm
  Pitbulls maul Detroit child to death. onlinebiker 39 3925 August 24, 2019 at 5:01 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Parkland Rent a Cop Charged. onlinebiker 75 7977 June 11, 2019 at 8:35 am
  Good Cop/Bad Cop? Nope. All Good. BrianSoddingBoru4 43 3882 February 25, 2019 at 7:56 pm
  Melania visits kids taken from their parents? Brian37 36 4586 June 22, 2018 at 11:12 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Judge dismisses case of cop sexually assaulting 4 year old girl Heat 26 3894 February 16, 2016 at 2:51 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Detroit EMS worker fired for refusing CPR on a baby c172 1 983 June 26, 2015 at 3:19 pm
Last Post: Minimalist