Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 11:27 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hamza Yusuf - Why is he so unpopular?
Hamza Yusuf - Why is he so unpopular?
I am an ex-muslim. I left because of the sheer stupidity of the religion. Especially when you look at so-called 'scholars' of Islam - from Anjem Choudhary to Zakir Naik it confirms my beliefs. They also seem to be quoted a lot here, they seem like everyone's favourite here and elsewhere like in the news.

However, I recently came across Hamza Yusuf of Zaytuna College (not just him but others like Tariq Ramadan). They seem to have a really good understanding of western civilization - its history, philosophy, science etc. This seems to me quite shocking, tbh he seems like one of the most relatable and understandable as well as intelligent and eloquent speakers of Islam, up there with Dawkins, Hitchens or Harris when it comes to atheism.

Does anyone know any others like him? I see literally no mention of him by atheists - even muslims who are seen as 'favourable' by atheists like Maajid Nawaz - who most Muslims don't like. Yet it is the opposite with Hamza Yusuf (he actually has a overwhelmingly favourable opinion by most Muslims). Hamza Yusuf is apparently 'the most influential scholars in the west', according to the Muslim 500, yet he is virtually unheard of. Maybe he doesn't seek attention or something, but I'm quite surprised someone like him is very well-learned and a  good speaker yet unknown. It may have to do with the fact he seems to preach traditional Islam as opposed to ultra liberal and/or revolutionary Islam which doesn't attract media attention....

Most of his critics tend to be Wahhabis/salafis not Atheists. That's understandable since he's unknown. But IMO he is a bigger opponent to Atheism/secularism than Zakir Naik and others. This man can't be just put down as 'stupid' 'irrational' or 'backwards' like others, he is very well read and gives reasoned opinions. He seems to know every counter-arguments to arguments, and convincingly so.
RE: Hamza Yusuf - Why is he so unpopular?
Hi, welcome to the forum,

I know of Hamza Yusuf, but perhaps he's not controversial and/or loud mouthed enough to really be on the radar. Not somebody that I pay attention to, so I don't have a fully formed opinion of him. Maybe he's a nice man? I don't know. But just because somebody seems nice doesn't mean they actually are nice.

By the way, Tariq Ramadan is a noob, in my opinion. Although, I can't say that I've listened to his ramblings recently. At first I thought he was much more reasonable than some of the others, (like Zakir Naik and his gang of worshipers, etc.) but he said some things in debates which I really didn't like.

I'm not yet familiar with Yusuf, but if he is from the same apologist ilk as that serial charlatan Ramadan, then that's a huge stumbling block for me.
Hi, welcome Smile

No, I've not heard of him, but if he's giving out a message of peace and reasonableness then I'm all for it. However, if you consider him an "opponent of secularism" then that's not so great.

If he has any arguments/answers you want refuted, this is the place to bring them!
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I think you might like Abdul Hakim Murad.
(January 19, 2016 at 7:13 pm)darkshadower1 Wrote:  This man can't be just put down as 'stupid' 'irrational' or 'backwards' like others, he is very well read and gives reasoned opinions. 

OFC he can, he believes in djinn.  Rolleyes
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Moderator Notice
This thread is over a year old. Just sayin.... most people in it are probably dead or something
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I'm sorry, Hamza Tzortzis , and Zakir Naik. WinterHold 24 4966 December 30, 2017 at 6:18 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Hamza Tzortis now teacing at Medina University ReptilianPeon 4 1334 February 11, 2016 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: ReptilianPeon
  Hamza encouraging littering ReptilianPeon 0 838 October 13, 2015 at 6:12 pm
  Complete 180 by Hamza: no 'scientific miracles' in the Quran ReptilianPeon 2 1755 October 3, 2015 at 2:21 pm
  Dan Barker (atheist) vs Hamza Tzortzis (muslim) WesOlsen 9 6521 December 27, 2013 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: WesOlsen
  Hamza Tzortzis Cyberman 448 222989 July 17, 2013 at 12:21 pm
Last Post: Bilalified