Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 12:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scalia overruled for the last time
Scalia overruled for the last time
At age 79.

He never missed a chance to fuck a minority.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

RE: Scalia overruled for the last time
This is huge news! I hate to celebrate the death of another human being but this douchebag was very bad for our country. Now the huge question: Does Obama get to appoint his successor or will that fall to the next President?
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
Obama gets to pick,

-HOWEVER-

The dem/rep ratio in the senate will greatly constrain the possibilities. (And please do not forget the risk of appointing another Souter) This is going to make for an interesting time.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Yeah, in the current polarized climate, even a someone viewed as a 'centrist' might not garner any republican votes, and if the democratic nominee is looking shaky in the run against Trump or Cruz or Rubio, Obama might muff his chance and it gets handed off to next prez.

Oh I hate it when the need arises to talk like a callous asshole. But boy he won't be missed...
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Wow he died? Will Obama get to appoint his replacement, or will they wait for the next prez? Jeeze, I'm not sure which I hope will happen. If Trump actually gets into office, then I sure as hell hope Obama appoints before he exits the post.
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
I'd almost wonder, if Obama appointed Scalia (!!) since Obama made the appointment, that Scalia might not garner a single republican vote.

And don't underestimate the risk of another Souter. That could be a freaking disaster.

(February 13, 2016 at 6:35 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: Obama gets to pick,

-HOWEVER-

The dem/rep ratio in the senate will greatly constrain the possibilities. (And please do not forget the risk of appointing another Souter)  This is going to make for an interesting time.

So what happens if Congress stonewalls his pick until after inauguration?
For our younger members here, Bush 41 let Sununu vet Souter, and Souter turned out to be a closet liberal, despite his case record. Now in that case, it worked out in that Bush's desire to stack the court with 'ironclad' conserv-a-droids failed, but Obama might make the same mistake in reverse and really screw the pooch.

Of course, such a candidate, ironically, might not garner enough Republican votes to confirm, which is pretty weird if you think about it.

If the Senate just rejects pick after pick for no good reason other than it's Obama making the pick, that could be used against them politically. The Democrats need to do everything in their power to appoint his replacement. It's especially important because if a Republican wins the Presidency, the winner will probably get to replace Ruth Bader Ginsburg. I can't see her holding out for another 4 years and certainly not 8.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anyone watch last night's debate? Brian37 9 856 September 30, 2020 at 9:28 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Elizabeth Warren Last Night With Stephen Colbert Minimalist 4 919 November 21, 2017 at 6:15 pm
Last Post: Cecelia
  Top Russian Officials Discussed How to Influence Trump Aides Last Summer Foxaèr 5 1693 May 25, 2017 at 8:27 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Are elections always as nasty as this last one we had NuclearEnergy 14 3673 January 21, 2017 at 8:53 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Anybody Watching the Last Trainwreck/ Presidential Debate Tonight? Seraphina 159 20247 October 20, 2016 at 10:09 am
Last Post: Aegon
  Last night's 2nd Pres "debate". Brian37 3 441 October 10, 2016 at 7:24 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Bernie Sanders On Real Time Last Night Minimalist 0 735 July 30, 2016 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Time To Stop Wasting Everyone's Time, Bernie Minimalist 253 27730 May 29, 2016 at 10:30 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  The New Last Refuge of Scoundrels Jenny A 5 759 January 27, 2016 at 10:13 am
Last Post: dyresand
  The Trickle Up debate last night. Brian37 0 643 September 17, 2015 at 9:47 am
Last Post: Brian37