Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 9:46 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheism is as natural as religion, study suggests
Atheism is as natural as religion, study suggests
Atheism is as natural as religion, study suggests, A new study by the University of Cambridge has discovered that, contrary to popular belief, vast swathes of the ancient world did not believe in Gods.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/hom...79341.html

The majority of Brits are atheist or agnostic, a poll has found, with only 30% of the population describing themselves as religious.

The UK is one of the least religious countries in the world, survey finds
53% of respondents said they were "not religious", though only 13% said they were a "convinced atheist" and the remainder said they "did not know".
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

RE: Atheism is as natural as religion, study suggests
Quote:The "Age of Atheism" only he ended, he suggests, when the generally tolerant societies were replaced by imperial forces that demanded the acceptance of one true God.

Sounds about right.

(Strikethrough mine)
Edit: Hmm, typo alert. Don't they have editors for that sort of thing? Smile
(February 20, 2016 at 1:27 pm)zebo-the-fat Wrote: Atheism is as natural as religion, study suggests, A new study by the University of Cambridge has discovered that, contrary to popular belief, vast swathes of the ancient world did not believe in Gods.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/hom...79341.html

The majority of Brits are atheist or agnostic, a poll has found, with only 30% of the population describing themselves as religious.

The UK is one of the least religious countries in the world, survey finds
53% of respondents said they were "not religious", though only 13% said they were a "convinced atheist" and the remainder said they "did not know".

yeah, humans are tall to short, not tall then short.  The same goes for beliefs.  the only rational position is middle ish.  Data suggest that "something" is far more reasonable then "nothing".   if you need it to "love and care for you" that's a personal need so we have to be honest.  Omni-dude just is not reasonable.
anti-logical Fallacies of Ambiguity
Romans used to make up gods to look over their homes. Man creates god to do his bidding. As it was, so it is and ever shall be.
Religionists will find a way to twist this with their gymnastics. Another nail in the coffin for Fitra nonetheless. But if you have read the book Don't Sleep There Are Snakes you'll know that Atheism is natural anyway.

I'd say atheism is perfectly natural. It's what generally happens when you don't get your mind fucked with at an early age. Even then it doesn't always take, if the brain is sufficiently sceptical.

It was probably rarer in the days when little was understood, and the need to make up answers was more pressing.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
anything a human thinks is natural and human. It aint rocket science.
anti-logical Fallacies of Ambiguity
(February 20, 2016 at 6:40 pm)comet Wrote: anything a human thinks is natural and human.  It aint rocket science.

You would have to define "human" and "natural" first :p
It's a little embarrassing that David Cameron had to come out and claim that Britain is a religious nation, and a little insulting that he claimed that the Theism of our nation is the cause of our religious freedom, including Atheism.

We're an Atheist nation, and this much is very evident. Speaking of which, how religious was ancient Greece? They had some incredibly strong philosophers, and I can imagine they were most likely Agnostic.
Cameron talks absolute shit. It is scary that he has any sort of power.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Religious people find it harder to understand the world – study Fake Messiah 28 4497 November 30, 2016 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10699 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
Video Angry Atheist: Michael Jackson, atheism and religion robvalue 32 5191 March 14, 2016 at 5:28 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4894 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Study: Terrorists are motivated by Politics more than Religion Heat 23 4516 December 19, 2015 at 10:28 am
Last Post: abaris
  Why do religious people desperately want to class Atheism as a religion? TheMonster 75 19327 November 25, 2015 at 2:44 pm
Last Post: Cato
  Study: religious children are less generous and more judgmental Aroura 17 4498 November 7, 2015 at 2:42 am
Last Post: GoHalos1993
  Atheism is a religion The Valkyrie 52 10955 October 15, 2015 at 10:56 am
Last Post: Longhorn
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19761 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Violence is the Natural conclusion of Religion. Spooky 34 5949 March 17, 2015 at 2:22 pm
Last Post: Smaug