Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 1:28 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The not-so-fine tuning argument.
The not-so-fine tuning argument.
I was watching a Closer to Truth (Season 5, Episode 2 or so) show yesterday and the late Professor Victor Stenger was interviewed, and "Wow, I am such a dummy!"  He gave an argument against the so-called fine-tuning argument that reminded me of the widespread stupidity of the 70s and 80s with regards to hardly ever wearing seat-belts in a car, an argument that I have never heard before.  Basically, Dr. Stenger said (a poor paraphrase, I admit), "If God exists, then God could have created the constants of nature to be whatever God wanted them to be; God could have created humans to live in outer space or anywhere."  Dr. Stenger's point is that the whole fine-tuning argument that William Craig and others advance is just stupid; God, if he/she/it exists, did not need to "fine-tune" anything!  To say that fine-tuning exists is really an argument for atheism, not theism, in that it recognizes, even implicitly, that physical law is supreme and not magic or miracles or the supernatural.  We can easily imagine scores of dead, lifeless Universes just as modern astronomy has observed scores of lifeless, dead planets all throughout our Galaxy to explain the so-called fine-tuning of our Universe.
RE: The not-so-fine tuning argument.
Actually, you don't need any of this. Our own body is testimony to absent finetuning. We've got a lot of now useless remnants from our evolutionary past built in. Such as the appendix, just to name one of about a dozen.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
@Jehanne
Cool, that's roughly the refutation I also always use.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Ah yes! The "he didn't quite totally fuck it all up" argument.

Yeah, theists generally can't make their mind up whether God made the rules, or God showed up with some rules already present. They have to believe both, because committing to either shoots holes right through their explanations.

All we have is the evidence: the so-called designed universe. It points to a designer that is either unconcerned with us, or is hopelessly bad at designing. It boggles my mind that theists could be impressed with this outcome, given the power and resources the designer is meant to have.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(March 2, 2016 at 9:31 am)abaris Wrote: Actually, you don't need any of this. Our own body is testimony to absent finetuning. We've got a lot of now useless remnants from our evolutionary past built in. Such as the appendix, just to name one of about a dozen.

Turns out an appendix is handy to have if you survive cholera . . .

Panic
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

If the Human body is designed, it's a pretty bad design. There are several parts that, in general are better off removed from the body for it to function well. We have a quadrupedal skeleton, despite being bipedal. We have almost nothing separating the wind pipe from the digestive pipe, resulting in a choking hazard. We have a blind spot in our eyes that the brain has to fill in for itsself. We only have two sets of teeth, despite being able to live for several decades. I could probably go on.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

The fact that we're tool users ought to disabuse us of any notion that we were well designed for -anything-.  We didn't have to come up with spear points and hoes because we were well designed even to -feed- ourselves.   We've spent our entire existence, as a species, attempting to overcome the flaws and limitations of our "design", just so we could live another day....and even with all of that we fail and die off at a disturbing rate. The only thing that's ever worked for us, uniformly, is to spit out more of us than this rock can axe at any given time (and that's also, conveniently, been a leading cause of death itself)....but sexual promiscuity is something "god" has a real problem with, apparently. It goes against some "purpose" he has in mind, some design. That purpose and design, by the crushing weight of evidence, can only be misery and death. That's what we're "designed" to do, that's our "divine purpose". To suffer and then, inevitably, die in a cosmic morality play.

Some design, some designer.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(March 2, 2016 at 9:22 am)Jehanne Wrote: Dr. Stenger's point is that the whole fine-tuning argument that William Craig and others advance is just stupid; God, if he/she/it exists, did not need to "fine-tune" anything! 

Try explaining this to a theist. All of a sudden stuff starts to become inconsistent. On atheism we won the lottery, on theism there is no lottery.

(March 2, 2016 at 10:55 am)Chad32 Wrote: If the Human body is designed, it's a pretty bad design. There are several parts that, in general are better off removed from the body for it to function well. We have a quadrupedal skeleton, despite being bipedal. We have almost nothing separating the wind pipe from the digestive pipe, resulting in a choking hazard. We have a blind spot in our eyes that the brain has to fill in for itsself. We only have two sets of teeth, despite being able to live for several decades. I could probably go on.

Combining the waste disposal area with the recreational area..... Clap
Yeah. You can reach an orgasm by doing anal.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

vorlon13 Wrote:
abaris Wrote:Actually, you don't need any of this. Our own body is testimony to absent finetuning. We've got a lot of now useless remnants from our evolutionary past built in. Such as the appendix, just to name one of about a dozen.

Turns out an appendix is handy to have if you survive cholera . . .

Panic

'Vestigial' does not mean 'useless'.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fine Tuning Principle: Devastating Disproof and Scientific Refutation of Atheism. Nishant Xavier 97 6771 September 20, 2023 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Signature in the Cell: DNA as Evidence for Design, beside Nature's Laws/Fine-Tuning. Nishant Xavier 54 2884 July 8, 2023 at 8:23 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Fine tuning of the multiverse? tor 8 1575 March 27, 2014 at 3:29 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Fine tuning argument assessed max-greece 99 23447 March 10, 2014 at 10:35 pm
Last Post: Rampant.A.I.
  The fine tuning argument solja247 68 20305 September 27, 2010 at 2:29 pm
Last Post: TheDarkestOfAngels
  Fine Tuning Argument The_Flying_Skeptic 14 5296 September 2, 2010 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: Captain Scarlet