Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 7:11 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Free will and humans
Free will and humans
In your opinion do you feel that humans possesses free will? What is your opinion on the matter?

It is my opinion that humans does possess free will, so I will be arguing for it. I feel that I do poses free will as I am capable of deciding what I'm going to do in the very next minute. If I didn't poses free will then I should've been incapable of deciding what I'm going to do even in the next second. Thus as I have a control over my actions I have free will.
RE: Free will and humans
I have the free will to do whatever I wish.

However, when it comes to your job, do you truly have free will?

You can either do what your job requires or you can lose your job because you go against what the job requires.

Free will has so many components.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
I still poses free will when it comes to my job as my actions are still in my control -I can either decide to direct my actions in such a way as to keep my job or get fired. However given a constraint that I have to direct my actions in such a manner as to keep my job is indirectly imposing constraints on my actions and falsely arriving at the conclusion that I do not possess free will.
(March 7, 2016 at 3:43 am)pool the great Wrote: In your opinion do you feel that humans possesses free will? What is your opinion on the matter?

It is my opinion that humans does possess free will, so I will be arguing for it. I feel that I do poses free will as I am capable of deciding what I'm going to do in the very next minute. If I didn't poses free will then I should've been incapable of deciding what I'm going to do even in the next second. Thus as I have a control over my actions I have free will.
If you have free will would you like to be wealthy?
(March 7, 2016 at 3:55 am)Wyrd of Gawd Wrote:
(March 7, 2016 at 3:43 am)pool the great Wrote: In your opinion do you feel that humans possesses free will? What is your opinion on the matter?

If you have free will would you like to be wealthy?

Am I capable of directing my actions in such a manner as to make me rich?
Yes.
Nope. It appears we're fundamentally governed by chance, or by fatalism. I've come to think of "free will" as a woo phrase. It's too slippery to mean anything.

If you want to call the outcome of lots of random quantum interactions a "choice", then that's fine. But I don't think it's at all accurate.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
And how are you going to become rich merely by thinking you can?
~ Erin Hunter
(March 7, 2016 at 4:22 am)Kitan Wrote: And how are you going to become rich merely by thinking you can?

Free will is about freedom of action.
Can I choose to undertake my actions in such a manner as to make me rich?
Yes. I can, because I'm free to do so.

Whether I'm capable of accomplishing my goal or not is irrelevant as it has to do with my ability as a human being to achieve a particular goal and not my ability as a human being capable of governing his own actions.
Shouldn't one be capable of association?

There are realistic goals and then there are goals that are beyond reach.
~ Erin Hunter
Yes there are realistic goals and unrealistic goals but you seem to forget that free will is about possessing the freedom to pursue those goals,I.e,possessing the freedom to govern ones actions.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  No soul? No free will and no responsibility then, yet the latter's essential... Duty 33 4115 August 26, 2020 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Are humans half aliens? Human DNA question Signa92 14 1950 December 30, 2018 at 12:34 am
Last Post: Rahn127
  Most humans aren't too logical when it comes to world views and how to go about it. Mystic 28 3967 October 9, 2018 at 8:59 am
Last Post: Alan V
  Are humans Gods? (article by an atheist) ChoklateWolfy 21 3878 March 2, 2017 at 10:11 am
Last Post: account_inactive
  Free will and you. RozKek 48 6738 March 17, 2016 at 7:56 am
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude
  Do humans always accept proofs when presented to them? Mystic 59 13013 January 2, 2016 at 6:08 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Omniscience and free will are unconciliable LogicOrDie 10 3463 June 27, 2014 at 4:21 pm
Last Post: FatAndFaithless
  WLC free will and omniscience tor 80 12437 April 7, 2014 at 10:37 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  What do you think will happen, if all humans became atheists ? Marsellus Wallace 34 7983 February 27, 2014 at 3:55 pm
Last Post: *Deidre*
Exclamation Chimps are more like humans than we knew Aegrus 7 1986 August 28, 2011 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy