Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 12:54 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Free will and you.
Free will and you.
Hey, I've read some threads about free will and watched Sam Harris debate etc. I find it really interesting and can't get it off my mind for some reason, but my question right now is: How has your beliefs/views on free will affected your life, if in any way at all?
RE: Free will and you.
Free will, or the lack thereof, makes no difference in my life.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
It's meaningless drivel.
(March 14, 2016 at 3:14 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Free will, or the lack thereof, makes no difference in my life.

Nothing at all? According to a study, when some subjects were told that free will does not exist, they became more aggressive, more likely to steal, etc. And another study told that students who believed in free will performed better academically. Does none of that describe any changes you've noticed about yourself?
my 2 cents ... humanism or humanistic world views can not exist without free will. no matter how much verbal gymnastics is thrown at the topic
(March 14, 2016 at 3:28 pm)truth_seeker Wrote: my 2 cents ... humanism or humanistic world views can not exist without free will. no matter how much verbal gymnastics is thrown at the topic

Why is that?
(March 14, 2016 at 3:27 pm)RozKek Wrote: Nothing at all? According to a study, when some subjects were told that free will does not exist, they became more aggressive, more likely to steal, etc. And another study told that students who believed in free will performed better academically. Does none of that describe any changes you've noticed about yourself?

Meh, I guess I'm just not "some subjects"?  Sounds fishy, though, got a link?

If I've got free will I've got free will. If I don't, I don't. I'm not really sure how either -could- change me... I'm either freely willing to choose chocolate, or I'm non-freely willing to choose chocolate. Either way, I'll take the chocolate.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(March 14, 2016 at 3:27 pm)RozKek Wrote:
(March 14, 2016 at 3:14 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Free will, or the lack thereof, makes no difference in my life.

Nothing at all? According to a study, when some subjects were told that free will does not exist, they became more aggressive, more likely to steal, etc. And another study told that students who believed in free will performed better academically. Does none of that describe any changes you've noticed about yourself?

Care to cite the source of that study?
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
If ya got the christian (maybe others) omniscient god then free will is just a mind fuck. But so is everything else about that fantasy.

Drop the "free". I have will, sometimes free, sometimes not.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(March 14, 2016 at 3:35 pm)The Gentleman Bastard Wrote:
(March 14, 2016 at 3:27 pm)RozKek Wrote: Nothing at all? According to a study, when some subjects were told that free will does not exist, they became more aggressive, more likely to steal, etc. And another study told that students who believed in free will performed better academically. Does none of that describe any changes you've noticed about yourself?

Care to cite the source of that study?

http://digest.bps.org.uk/2016/01/student...-free.html < The one about students, although I've never heard about this source before, and I found no other sources I'd consider trustworthy, I haven't checked into them too much.

http://mindhacks.com/2013/09/29/the-effe...free-will/ < The one about consequences of not believing in free will. Again I've never heard about this source either .-. but I got the information about the consequences from the wikipedia page of free will, just quickly searched for an article about it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  No soul? No free will and no responsibility then, yet the latter's essential... Duty 33 3924 August 26, 2020 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Free will and humans ErGingerbreadMandude 176 12989 March 18, 2016 at 2:19 am
Last Post: IATIA
  Omniscience and free will are unconciliable LogicOrDie 10 3436 June 27, 2014 at 4:21 pm
Last Post: FatAndFaithless
  WLC free will and omniscience tor 80 12261 April 7, 2014 at 10:37 am
Last Post: fr0d0