Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 3:46 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let's Talk About Saints!
Let's Talk About Saints!
Any interesting or intriguing tidbits about saints (yes, I know, sainthood is a con, this is just a bit of fun)? I'll start:

Michael the archangel; patron saint of police officers, military, mariners, paratroopers, EMTs, the Greek Air Force, knights, swordsmiths and grocers.

One of these is not like the others.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
RE: Let's Talk About Saints!
Prayers to Saints are one of the strongest arguments that the Abrahamic religions are actually practical polytheisms. They can claim to be monotheistic as much as they like but when the sheer spread of saints, prophets, angels etc. is examined, alongside the fanaticism with which believers in their influence (as evidenced by places like Lourdes), it's clear that they have the largest number of gods of any polytheisms ever!
Sum ergo sum
So, if there is a patron saint for sexually exploited children, and it is then proven while alive, that saint abused children, can we assume the entire saint thing is a big steaming pile of bullshit ??
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I read this as "let's talk about stains" and I was just about to relate my Domestos conversion story.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Their policy of nurturing young talent and underappreciated foreign players before selling them on to Liverpool for $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ has faltered a bit this year. And now with Klopp at the 'pool they'll need to find a new rube, i mean customer.

Oh, you mean Christian saint Blush, I thought you meant Southampton St Mary's.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
The Roman Catholic Church in 1319CE was desperate to canonize Thomas Aquinas, because they probably thought it might be good, if not all of their saints were mentally unbalanced morons, who got themselves murdered for generally being a nuisance. The process however required two "confirmed" miracles performed by the prospective saint. And Thomas was not a particularly fitting figure for a model of christian virtue, what with him having been a glutton, a drunkard and not particularly preoccupied with the welfare of the poor.

Long story short, one of the "miracles" the church had to resort to using was this "event":

Quote:IX. Asked if he knew of other miracles attributed to brother Thomas, the witness said that he had heard of many; and in particular that when Thomas lay sick in the castle of Maenza and was urged to eat something, he answered, ‘I would eat fresh herrings, if I had some.’ Now it happened that a pedlar called just then with salted fish. He was asked to open his baskets, and one was found full of fresh herrings, though it had contained only salted fish. But when the herrings were brought to Thomas, he would not eat them.
http://www.sedevacantist.com/stthomas/stcanonise.html

And here's another of his "works":

Quote:LX. -[...] Once, at Paris, Thomas, on rising in the morning, found that one of his teeth had grown in a way that hindered him in his speech. He had to conclude a public disputation that morning; so there was nothing for it, he thought, but to set himself to prayer. So he went and prayed, and after a while the tooth fell into his hand. He showed it to Reginald; and afterwards he used to carry it about as a reminder of God’s goodness to him.

So, yeah - good to know that the magic requirements for sainthood were as conveniently low back then as they are now...

On a side-note - Thomas Aquinas wouldn't eat the herring he'd just magicked up - loss of appetite - and was spitting out his teeth?... Hmmm... Was he the first meth-head?... Tongue
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
Most of those saintly bullshit stories were created for commercial reasons.  Each church needed some relic and the gorier and more lurid the death tale the better the idiot pilgrims liked it.

Read Candida Moss'  "The Myth of Persecution" for much more information about this saint travesty.  Just more of the catholicks selling bullshit to morons.
(March 8, 2016 at 1:11 pm)Homeless Nutter Wrote: The Roman Catholic Church in 1319CE was desperate to canonize Thomas Aquinas, because they probably thought it might be good, if not all of their saints were mentally unbalanced morons, who got themselves murdered for generally being a nuisance. The process however required two "confirmed" miracles performed by the prospective saint. And Thomas was not a particularly fitting figure for a model of christian virtue, what with him having been a glutton, a drunkard and not particularly preoccupied with the welfare of the poor.

Long story short, one of the "miracles" the church had to resort to using was this "event":

Quote:IX. Asked if he knew of other miracles attributed to brother Thomas, the witness said that he had heard of many; and in particular that when Thomas lay sick in the castle of Maenza and was urged to eat something, he answered, ‘I would eat fresh herrings, if I had some.’ Now it happened that a pedlar called just then with salted fish. He was asked to open his baskets, and one was found full of fresh herrings, though it had contained only salted fish. But when the herrings were brought to Thomas, he would not eat them.
http://www.sedevacantist.com/stthomas/stcanonise.html

And here's another of his "works":

Quote:LX. -[...] Once, at Paris, Thomas, on rising in the morning, found that one of his teeth had grown in a way that hindered him in his speech. He had to conclude a public disputation that morning; so there was nothing for it, he thought, but to set himself to prayer. So he went and prayed, and after a while the tooth fell into his hand. He showed it to Reginald; and afterwards he used to carry it about as a reminder of God’s goodness to him.

So, yeah - good to know that the magic requirements for sainthood were as conveniently low back then as they are now...

On a side-note - Thomas Aquinas wouldn't eat the herring he'd just magicked up - loss of appetite - and was spitting out his teeth?... Hmmm... Was he the first meth-head?... Tongue

Yaws and goiters

Scurvy

Emmerods

Bilitis

thallium poisoning
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Saints writings on Jews Fake Messiah 14 2479 December 21, 2019 at 8:46 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  What do invented saints tell us about Christianity? Fake Messiah 132 11809 November 22, 2019 at 9:19 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Saints With The Best Stories BrianSoddingBoru4 18 1806 November 15, 2019 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  I need to talk about this Der/die AtheistIn 2 733 October 9, 2017 at 8:29 am
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn
  If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink vorlon13 11 2673 August 1, 2017 at 12:25 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Church of England vs Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints vorlon13 13 4151 April 3, 2017 at 1:48 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Let's see how many apologetics take the bait Joods 127 18304 July 16, 2016 at 10:54 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Let's talk about... yaweh dyresand 106 9860 March 12, 2016 at 10:39 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Let me get this straight... dyresand 92 16047 October 12, 2015 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Hell.. so yeah let's fact check dyresand 6 2274 September 1, 2015 at 11:55 am
Last Post: dyresand