Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 2:54 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do you think of this passage?
What do you think of this passage?
Hey guys

I'm interested in knowing your opinion/thoughts on the following passage from the Quran:

Quote:And when God is mentioned, the hearts of those who believe not in the Hereafter shrink with aversion, but when those other than Him are mentioned, behold! they are glad

Say, "O God, Creator of the heavens and the earth, Knower of the witnessed and the unseen, You alone will judge between your creation concerning that over which they used to differ."

And if those who did wrong had all that is in the earth, and therewith as much again, they verily will seek to ransom themselves therewith on the Day of Resurrection from the awful doom; and there will appear unto them, from their Lord, that wherewith they never reckoned.
And there will appear to them the evils they had earned, and there they will be enveloped by what they used to ridicule.

And when adversity touches man, he calls upon Us; then when We bestow on him a favor from Us, he says, "I have triumphed only because of my own knowledge."
Nay, but it is only a test. But man does not believe.

your thoughts? feelings?
I guess I'm interested in hearing more thoughts about this 'coz am flip-flopping these days between theism and atheism Dodgy Argue
RE: What do you think of this passage?
Hearts don't shrink at the mere mention of imaginary beings.

- Cardiologist
Dying to live, living to die.
Vague threats by a creator deity? Why, I never! Tongue

Serious reply: a bunch of vaguely threatening bullshit designed to keep the followers in line. Hardly unique, hardly compelling.
"I was thirsty for everything, but blood wasn't my style" - Live, "Voodoo Lady"
I've never taken well to being threatened. If Allah tries to fuck with me on 'the day of resurrection', I'll bust him right in the mush.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Just another section of the fantasy story. Not a very good section either. There is no action, no pizzazz. Killing with the jaw bone of an ass, talking flaming bushes, mass executions, that's the parts of the fantasy story worth paying attention to.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Fun exercise - replace all references to 'god' with something/someone else.

Quote:And when Ryan Reynolds is mentioned, the hearts of those who believe not in the Hereafter shrink with aversion, but when those other than Him are mentioned, behold! they are glad

Say, "O Ryan, Canuck of the heavens and the earth, Knower of the witnessed and the unseen, You alone will judge between your creation concerning that over which they used to differ."

And if those who did wrong had all that is in the earth, and therewith as much again, they verily will seek to ransom themselves therewith on the Day of Resurrection from the awful doom; and there will appear unto them, from their Lord, that wherewith they never reckoned.
And there will appear to them the evils they had earned, and there they will be enveloped by what they used to ridicule.

And when adversity touches man, he calls upon Us; then when We bestow on him a favor from Us, he says, "I have triumphed only because of my own knowledge."
Nay, but it is only a test. But man does not believe.
Thanks you guys Bong

But here's the thing ... when I think about it, there is a 50-50 chance of this happening, which sounds like a huge risk to me Dodgy ...
do you think there is something wrong with my reasoning/line-of-thought??
It's stupid shit....like the rest of the koran.
(March 14, 2016 at 6:18 pm)truth_seeker Wrote: Thanks you guys Bong

But here's the thing ... when I think about it, there is a 50-50 chance of this happening, which sounds like a huge risk to me Dodgy ...
do you think there is something wrong with my reasoning/line-of-thought??

Why do you think there's a 50-50 chance?

Seriously, where's your evidence that this particular god creature exists?  Note: your holy tome is the claim.  It needs to be backed up with evidence.  Please provide it.
(March 14, 2016 at 6:19 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: Why do you think there's a 50-50 chance?

Seriously, where's your evidence that this particular god creature exists?  Note: your holy tome is the claim.  It needs to be backed up with evidence.  Please provide it.

You are absolutely right Worship   Its only a claim. And that's exactly why I've been looking up evidence against/or for god, and I always reach a dead end. Its all just a big fat plausibility, hence my 50-50 conclusion.

If there was no risk of all that hereafter quagmire happening, then I would've completely dismissed the god claim Dodgy

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you think Atheists are stupid? Authari 121 5365 January 4, 2024 at 7:35 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Do you think God is authoritarian? ShinyCrystals 65 3031 December 9, 2023 at 7:08 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Atheists, do you think Florence Nightingale was a way better person than that fraud Kimbu42 6 985 October 11, 2021 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Fireball
  What do you think of LGBTQ2? SlimePumper 58 7032 February 18, 2019 at 5:19 am
Last Post: Agnostico
  Who do you think is best atheist of our times? GGG 70 7335 January 22, 2019 at 10:19 am
Last Post: GGG
  Do you think Science and Religion can co-exist in a society? ErGingerbreadMandude 137 38781 June 10, 2017 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: comet
  I fear hell, and this article made things worse for me. What do you guys think? arda101 26 4690 February 5, 2017 at 7:38 am
Last Post: Autolite
  Oasis Networks- what do you think of them? Casca 3 1607 January 1, 2017 at 2:05 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Religion should be encouraged if it has positive effects on people.What do you think? ErGingerbreadMandude 31 5500 December 27, 2016 at 2:07 am
Last Post: energizer bunny
Sad I am a theist, what do you think of my proof for God existing? Mariosep 1101 117420 December 12, 2016 at 12:21 pm
Last Post: Asmodee