Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 10:55 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why them and not you?
Why them and not you?
You don't believe Theists when they testify they know God exists. I understand that and you shouldn't simply believe due to their testification.

But why should Theists take seriously that you actually are justified in not believing in God? Why should we not believe it's the fault of yours and not God's or anyone else?

Why should we take your testification that you sincerely sought to know whether God exists or not seriously?
RE: Why them and not you?
Because the existence of God is a positive existence claim. Substitute God for "invisible unicorn in my garage", maybe you get it then.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(March 30, 2017 at 10:23 am)Alex K Wrote: Because the existence of God is a positive existence claim. Substitute God for "invisible unicorn in my garage", maybe you get it then.

Morality is a positive claim as well. Love is a positive claim.   Worth is a positive claim. Free-will is a positive claim. Your sense of self and perpetual identity is a positive claim.
Millions of gods known to man. All of them real? I don't think so. One of them real? Why that one?
(March 30, 2017 at 10:25 am)MysticKnight Wrote:
(March 30, 2017 at 10:23 am)Alex K Wrote: Because the existence of God is a positive existence claim. Substitute God for "invisible unicorn in my garage", maybe you get it then.

Morality is a positive claim as well. Love is a positive claim.   Worth is a positive claim. Free-will is a positive claim. Your sense of self and perpetual identity is a positive claim.

No the first two are not. NOT! You seem so used to mixing meanings of words in a blender to justify your mushy thinking you do it reflexively now. And even if they were, WHICH THEY ARE NOT, that is not a refutation of my point. You have zero intellectual standards.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(March 30, 2017 at 10:27 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: One of them real? Why that one?

That's a good question. But why should I believe you actually sincerely thought about it? Why should I believe you should not believe in it?

This is diverting the subject. So I won't answer the question which I have answered many times.
I get the feeling that your whole charade, MK, is more about reassuring yourself than convincing anyone else.

Quite frankly, I don't give a shit if you take my experience seriously or not. The truth isn't defined by whether or not anyone else believes me.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(March 30, 2017 at 10:28 am)Alex K Wrote:
(March 30, 2017 at 10:25 am)MysticKnight Wrote: Morality is a positive claim as well. Love is a positive claim.   Worth is a positive claim. Free-will is a positive claim. Your sense of self and perpetual identity is a positive claim.

No the first two are not. NOT! You seem so used to mixing meanings of words in a blender to justify your mushy thinking you do it reflexively now. And even if they were, WHICH THEY ARE NOT, that is not a refutation of my point. You have zero intellectual standards.

Love assigns value and object worth and believes in that, even if it doesn't know the exact value.

Love is the strength of the power of faith towards a value of something or being, it's a fabric that bonds us in different forms to different things or relationships.

If you want to say it is a mere feeling, well I will disagree. It's not just emotion, but how we experience faith in what has worth and is valuable.

You make it a mere emotion with no faith required and no justification required, it ceases to be what it is.

It's a positive claim in that it's the whole language is mysterious and we act upon it and act on that faith.

Faith and love to be are one and the same thing.
(March 30, 2017 at 10:29 am)MysticKnight Wrote:
(March 30, 2017 at 10:27 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: One of them real? Why that one?

That's a good question. But why should I believe you actually sincerely thought about it? Why should I believe you should not believe in it?

This is diverting the subject. So I won't answer the question which I have answered many times.

The Dodgers play baseball, sir. 

BTW, I'm 66 years old and done a wee bit of thinking in that time.

By the way, if most of the world claim to see an invisible unicorn in a garage, I would be prone to investigate their claim and not dismiss it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why You Should Not Chew Your Food Rhondazvous 14 2954 June 30, 2017 at 8:54 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Why free will probably does not exist, and why we should stop treating people - WisdomOfTheTrees 22 4471 February 8, 2017 at 7:43 pm
Last Post: WisdomOfTheTrees
  Survival of Fittest ? Why not Survival of brotherhood and Peace ? Khansins 23 3515 March 21, 2014 at 6:45 pm
Last Post: tor
  Dreams. Why should we have them ? Khansins 19 3898 February 11, 2014 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: Rahul
  why things are rather than not...and necessary existence Mystic 15 8309 June 21, 2012 at 12:08 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Can you forgive someone yet seek justice against them at the same time? Pel 20 7864 January 18, 2012 at 12:49 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Is 10,000 people suffering identically equal bad as one of them? Edwardo Piet 51 11531 December 24, 2010 at 10:11 pm
Last Post: jason56