Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 9:23 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To kill a mocking depression
To kill a mocking depression
 (This thread has no purpose)
It's chronic. Depression is obsessed with me. If it could, it would keep me in bed with her all day, everyday, as life slipped away unnoticed. I cancel my plans with her every day. One day I hang out with atheist senior citizens and talk about their RVs. One day I take myself out on a movie date. I hunt for the best stout and kiss many beer frogs during my quest. One day I'll find the beer charming. I go to a PFLAG meeting. I write. Cook. Take myself out for cheesecake. Yesterday it was a makeover. I cut and dyed my hair.

I'm driving. I see humans walking. I see humans and notice we are funny creatures. We walk around like pogo sticks, and we have limbs dangling down and moving front and back as we walk. It's very funny, really. I make a stop at a cross walk and I feel tears fighting to come out. I blink several times and fool my eyes into believing that I don't need to cry. I just saw funny humans. I'll be fine.

I park my car in front of the hair salon. I walk in and explain what I want. A stylist I never saw before prepares the dye.  I see funny humans getting hair cuts, and they're so funny to watch with their nose on their face just popping out and making life so funny. I see a mirror. I look at the mirror and see my funny human self. Tears fight to come out of my eyes and I take a deep breath. I open my eyes wide enough to make them dry up and forget that tears are a thing and that pain is real. 

She asks if I have dyed my hair black before. She seems skeptical. I tell her I've been coming here for ten years and black is my thing. I tell her that yes, I have, and I'm sure of my choice. She smiles. Her smile is funny. Humans are funny. We smile and as we do we show our teeth. Here, fellow human, take a look at my teeth and let me see yours. It's a funny human ritual.

I now have black dye on my forehead and ears. I have to wait 45 minutes. I forgot my book and there's no wifi. She hands me a magazine. Magazines are not funny. I flip through pages of basic gossip that doesn't interest me. Some famous person had a party of some sort and decorated beautifully. It's useless information. I don't even know who this person is. I flip the page. Another famous human with a party. I miss my book. I like the smell of hair salons. 

Tears fight to come out of my eyes as I close the magazine and place it next to me. This time one manages to escape my eyes. How do I dry it without bringing attention to my eyes? I pretend to check my make up. I accidentally see myself in the mirror. Two, maybe three tears escape my eyes. This is getting out of control. I sigh. I take a deep breath. I blink really fast. More tears barge out. I quickly dry my face. I blink more. I look up. I open my eyes wide. I think it's working.

A little girl is getting a haircut. She has a nose on her face and limbs that dangle from the high chair she's in. That's funny. A tiny funny human. I smile. I show my teeth. That's funny, too. Fuck. Hurry up and finish with my hair. I think I'm about to cry like an average human that pours water out of her eyes. That would be funny. Humans are funny. I wish I was laughing. 
"Hipster is what happens when young hot people do what old ladies do." -Exian
RE: To kill a mocking depression
This just goes to show the brilliance of at least one funny human Heart
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
(April 3, 2016 at 2:47 pm)The_Empress Wrote: This just goes to show the brilliance of at least one funny human Heart

Heart Thanks for reading my long thread. Big Grin
Sometimes I wonder if this depression is selective, following around those funny humans who still have feelings, who are intelligent and unblissfully aware.
(April 3, 2016 at 3:56 pm)Little lunch Wrote: Sometimes I wonder if this depression is selective, following around those funny humans who still have feelings, who are intelligent and unblissfully aware.
I'm (insert name here) and I approve this message.
Depression is the house cat Spot that drags bath towels around the house and occasionally humps them.

A bizarre creature indeed.

<3
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
(April 3, 2016 at 7:47 pm)c172 Wrote: Depression is the house cat Spot that drags bath towels around the house and occasionally humps them.

A bizarre creature indeed.

<3

Lol!  Heart Heart Heart
I'm sorry I missed this thread.

I know all about depression, how horrible it is and how it can make life so hard. I'm sad for what you're going through, but I think it is great you're sharing it with us. Please keep on doing that! We're here for you Smile
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(April 9, 2016 at 12:15 pm)robvalue Wrote: I'm sorry I missed this thread.

I know all about depression, how horrible it is and how it can make life so hard. I'm sad for what you're going through, but I think it is great you're sharing it with us. Please keep on doing that! We're here for you Smile

Awww sweet sweet rob. Thank you. I'm here for you, too. Smile
Thank you, I appreciate that Smile

Today has been hard. I don't know why. I've struggled to find the enthusiasm to do anything, even the things I enjoy.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Setting up TV remotes, a "Kill me" event. Brian37 35 1675 September 30, 2021 at 8:27 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Under no circumstance should cops KILL ErGingerbreadMandude 120 12658 January 7, 2018 at 8:23 am
Last Post: FFaith
  Another way of looking at depression robvalue 147 9723 August 19, 2016 at 10:33 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Someone told me to kill myself twice today, I don't know why it's been bothering me Phosphorescent Panties 48 5752 April 12, 2016 at 11:41 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  A Compelling Reasn to Strangle, Shoot, Stab, Poison, and Otherwise Kill You True Love Rhondazvous 13 3003 December 14, 2015 at 5:06 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Is Depression/Annnxiety from the Bullshit You Experience or are You Prone to it? Rhondazvous 43 4622 November 29, 2015 at 9:58 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Kick Depression's Ass! Phatt Matt s 105 14609 March 31, 2014 at 8:30 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Depression and other disorders and Jobs bladevalant546 5 1661 March 28, 2014 at 2:56 pm
Last Post: Kayenneh
Big Grin ROFL! Holy Man Tries To Kill Non-Believer With Black Magic (Video) Big Blue Sky 12 3693 June 10, 2013 at 12:49 am
Last Post: justin
  Having a case of double depression JosephBowie 8 3548 April 21, 2013 at 6:39 am
Last Post: Aractus