Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:56 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The meaning of John Lennon's song - God
Lightbulb 
The meaning of John Lennon's song - God
What does John mean when he sings "God is a concept by which we measure our pain"?
I don't really get what he means.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv3ic6OOXns
RE: The meaning of John Lennon's song - God
My guess is that he was simply saying that people, when in pain (physical or emotional), wonder why god is doing 'this' to them, "What have I done to deserve this, Oh Lord?' The worse the pain, the more displeased god must be... and vice versa. That's my take on it.
He probably ment fear of death or something along those lines but I would have to agree with Paul.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
At the time Lennon was into i-ching and 'scream' therapy, dealing with the end of the Beatles era, and the death of his mum.

Lennon starts this song with the line, "God is a concept by which we measure our pain." He explained to Rolling Stone that, "pain is the pain we go through all the time," Then added: "You're born in pain. Pain is what we are in most of the time, and I think that the bigger the pain, the more God you look for."
John Lennon is dead.

At 17 I loved The Beatles uncritically and thought John Lennon was deep.

Today I think Lennon was a pretentious wanker and that he and his poseur wife Yoko deserved each other.

I still love a lot of the Beatles' music,but stopped navel gazing and finding ponderous explanations about 30 years ago.
(July 27, 2010 at 1:25 am)padraic Wrote: John Lennon is dead.

Today I think Lennon was a pretentious wanker and that he and his poseur wife Yoko deserved each other.

I still love a lot of the Beatles' music,but stopped navel gazing and finding ponderous explanations about 30 years ago.
You will love this video in that case.
[youtube]4JHrfq7h6CA[/youtube]
Quote:By Jon Lajoie (http://www.jonlajoie.com)
A recently discovered early demo
recording by Paul McCartney of what would eventually become
"Blackbird".
Don't hate me, Beatle lovers. I like them all a lot too, but this song is really funny.
I'm really shitty at giving kudos and rep. That's because I would be inconsistent in remembering to do them, and also I don't really want it to show if any favouritism is happening. Even worse would be inconsistencies causing false favouritisms to show. So, fuck it. Just assume that I've given you some good rep and a number of kudos, and everyone should be happy...
(July 27, 2010 at 1:25 am)padraic Wrote: John Lennon is dead.

I look at Lennon now and realise my life is based around some of those words. You may always have been shallow. You can't paint a generation with the same brush tho' I'm afraid.
@SN
THAT is funny

Frodo,what's with the ad hominem? I didn't insult you.

Quote:You may always have been shallow.

You don't know me well enough to make that kind of assessment, so pull yer fucking head in.

PS: You have based your life on some of the adolescent drivel John Lennon wrote and have the chutzpah to call ME shallow? My irony meter just exploded.

:roflol:
Well that took a while to hit home Big Grin

I don't know you well enough, but I know what you said conflicts with my understanding, and call you on that. To call Lennon's life work 'adolescent drivel' makes you look foolish. Yes, I'd say you're being shallow.
Quote:Well that took a while to hit home

Oh,the ad hominem was to provoke me.Congrats; that's called trolling.

My point was and is Lennon was overestimated in his intellectual depth and yes,I believe his ideas tend to be facile and adolescent..That is an honest assessment,whether you agree or not

I you disagree,no problem,attack my position.

I have nothing more say to you on this matter.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A song that you hate The Valkyrie 33 2300 December 17, 2022 at 4:15 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  An 80s song that could apply to the past 4 years. Brian37 39 2171 November 25, 2020 at 8:38 pm
Last Post: Duty
  What are some songs that have changed their meaning completely over time? FlatAssembler 1 248 November 15, 2020 at 8:13 am
Last Post: Sal
  Yes, this IS a Buddy Holly Song....... Brian37 10 1034 June 13, 2020 at 1:43 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  My new favorite song of all time excluding classical music Alex K 1 590 January 26, 2020 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  As much as I love ABBA, this is my fav song..... Brian37 16 1672 January 25, 2020 at 10:00 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Challenge New, New year's song...... Brian37 0 217 January 3, 2019 at 6:47 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  THIS Is How You Update A Christmas Song! BrianSoddingBoru4 1 925 December 23, 2018 at 3:30 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Every so often I post my fav song... Brian37 14 943 December 7, 2018 at 4:24 am
Last Post: Maketakunai
  Do you know this song? Edwardo Piet 9 1146 May 9, 2018 at 11:01 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye