Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 8:08 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"sacred" spaces - just musing
As I was driving to work this morning I started wondering about church buildings.  And why most gods think that they need one.

I mean, even Yahweh was big about people building a house for him.  Surely he could have done it himself, if he actually needed one, but probably humans making it was a valued act of worship.  
Bible verses: 

I really can't fathom, if there is a deity capable of creating the earth (never mind the universe) why humans would have to build it a house.  And yet, even after nearly a decade as an atheist, I'm quiet when I walk into a church.  That indoctrination of "special place" is still there.  It's "god's house" and you have to behave.  Wow.
    Well, I think that the witch doctors who created god found out, sooner or later, that a special meeting place gave them even greater special status.  It was a place where people presented offerings and made the witch doctor rich.   Build a church, tell lies, get rich.  

Does anyone else still feel like a little kid and wonder if gawd is watching from the rafters when they enter a church?  I'm half tempted to go into the place where I played for Mass and do something sacrilegious.
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
RE: "sacred" spaces - just musing
Good post. It's all very silly, of course. The NT got it right with Jesus telling them to pray in private. A big, ornate church when people are starving makes little sense. It's absolutely hypocritical to Jesus telling to people to sell the shirt off their back to help the poor. But even those pale next to a private $65 million jet for Jesus.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
Quote:As I was driving to work this morning I started wondering about church buildings.  And why most gods think that they need one.

The fuckers hate to get rained on.
Why does God need a spaceship cathedral ??
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Nah...Just bored.  

I have to sit in on chapel at work, occasionally. I don't mind going, since it's one the few opportunities I have to sit down for a decent period. I usually do paperwork, check my phone, or "rest my eyes".

I used to massage my legs or shoulders, but it became apparent to me that the chaplain found that very distracting. Tongue
I find them funny sometimes, but most of the time when I have to be in one (usually funerals) I imagine what would happen if it was the church in Diablo! Get's pretty fun imagining the chaos. By and large it's just another place, thought the architecture is often admirable.
"I'm thick." - Me
Indeed, it is completely stupid.

All the church is really a platform for is people who presume to speak for God.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I would probably sense that I was being watched here:

Yeow...Creep City.

(April 12, 2016 at 4:14 pm)drfuzzy Wrote: As I was driving to work this morning I started wondering about church buildings.  And why most gods think that they need one.

I mean, even Yahweh was big about people building a house for him.  Surely he could have done it himself, if he actually needed one, but probably humans making it was a valued act of worship.  
Bible verses: 

I really can't fathom, if there is a deity capable of creating the earth (never mind the universe) why humans would have to build it a house.  And yet, even after nearly a decade as an atheist, I'm quiet when I walk into a church.  That indoctrination of "special place" is still there.  It's "god's house" and you have to behave.  Wow.
    Well, I think that the witch doctors who created god found out, sooner or later, that a special meeting place gave them even greater special status.  It was a place where people presented offerings and made the witch doctor rich.   Build a church, tell lies, get rich.  

Does anyone else still feel like a little kid and wonder if gawd is watching from the rafters when they enter a church?  I'm half tempted to go into the place where I played for Mass and do something sacrilegious.

There is no command to build a dedicated church building. That is something 'religious' people do.

The first century church met in people's homes and in public areas.

While today we do indeed have mega churches we also have churches still meeting in people's homes, skype, and even in places you would not think to look.. Like say an Atheist Forum. (org)
(April 13, 2016 at 2:24 am)Thena323 Wrote: I would probably sense that I was being watched here:

Yeow...Creep City.

Omg, but GORGEOUS!
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  An Atheist Tries on Sacred Mormon Underwear AFTT47 7 1190 May 27, 2019 at 1:21 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Sacred and unclean animals zebo-the-fat 14 3249 July 23, 2017 at 8:33 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Have you had experiences you'd describe as sacred, mystical and/or religious? Whateverist 62 13037 August 30, 2014 at 8:31 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Have you had experiences you'd describe as sacred, spiritual and/or religious? Whateverist 0 1376 August 19, 2014 at 9:49 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Marriage is sacred, unless the spouse has Alzheimer's disease.. leo-rcc 11 4179 September 16, 2011 at 1:05 am
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused