Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 1:24 am

Poll: I like excel and VBA
This poll is closed.
Yes
40.00%
2 40.00%
No
20.00%
1 20.00%
I plead the fifth
40.00%
2 40.00%
Total 5 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
microsoft excel and VBA for office
microsoft excel and VBA for office
Anyone else using Microsoft Excel and geeking out on how much easier you job is, especially writing VBA code with macros to automate your job? I've learned so much over the past two years to automate alot of what I have to do. Declared variables get you excited, or user forms get your panties wet? hahaha. Anyways I'm curious who's the excel or Microsoft VBA master is on this board. I've learned quite a bit of VBA, but still new and learning, but thought about getting into other languages like Java, or Ruby Rails. Anyone have love for excel, VBA or other languages? Please share you coding knowledge. Or if you have excel questions I'm pretty much an expert now, so would be happy to help with your job.

The best place to learn excel functions would be here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/ExcelIsFun

I learned a lot of VBA, which also has SQL here

https://www.youtube.com/user/WiseOwlTutorials

application.screenupdating = false

Anyone?
RE: microsoft excel and VBA for office
Meh. VBA is useful in an office environment. The most fun is making people's mouths drop when you turn an entire person's job into a succession of button clicks. Then you learn not to do that anymore, people get upset. Shock

I prefer Access if I'm doing database management.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(April 18, 2016 at 7:54 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: Meh. VBA is useful in an office environment. The most fun is making people's mouths drop when you turn an entire person's job into a succession of button clicks. Then you learn not to do that anymore, people get upset. Shock

Yeah but aren't we all button pushing robots? Personally I prefer to press less keys or buttons to get the same work accomplished. I've just started Microsoft access. My biggest problem is running large queries where if all the criteria isn't met, by form doesn't populate. I'd like to get better at that though.

For me because we don't have systems integrating it means alot of manual entry, so I've just automated alot to get it to the point that everything's ready to add to the other system. I kind of pissed of some coworkers that I made their jobs easier, and they saw that as a threat to their job security, when I was trying to make their jobs easier. Created some formula today, just to avoid having to repeat the same BS over and over again. Didn't tell my senior manager because she hinted I don't want to obsolete myself, instead i'll just do the work in less time they expect, and surf the internet.
I wrote VBA stuff for Excel and Outlook 15 years ago. One project was an extension for outlook which allowed to manage a knowledge database and included a ticket system for bug reports. I was young and needed the money...
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(April 19, 2016 at 3:24 am)Alex K Wrote: I wrote VBA stuff for Excel and Outlook 15 years ago. One project was an extension for outlook which allowed to manage a knowledge database and included a ticket system for bug reports. I was young and needed the money...

Are you involved in any other coding languages now?

I set up a few easter eggs in my code sometimes, like application.speech.speak to say something like prepare for beastmode haha before running macros

It is scary sometimes though when you create something that basically obsoletes part of someones job, including your own.
Is this all internal, intranet stuff? Cause I wouldn't use any of this in web.
"I'm thick." - Me
(April 18, 2016 at 7:54 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: Meh. VBA is useful in an office environment. The most fun is making people's mouths drop when you turn an entire person's job into a succession of button clicks. Then you learn not to do that anymore, people get upset. Shock

Access? Haha, this is an Oracle shop.

Kids these days.
(April 18, 2016 at 8:00 pm)scoobysnack Wrote: Yeah but aren't we all button pushing robots?

No, I'm the guy who writes software so other people can be button pushing robots.

As an aside, I have on many occasions bemoaned the jobs that have been lost in part due to the work I do. This is why I drink.
(April 19, 2016 at 11:16 pm)Goosebump Wrote: Is this all internal, intranet stuff? Cause I wouldn't use any of this in web.

Yes more internal business applications through microsoft office. For example creating a button with code that when pressed that saves a file to a specific folder, creates an email through outlook, add an excel attachment, creates a subject line, and message automatically. So you can avoid some steps like that and just hit send.

Most of what I do through excel though is just formula and functions to automate and skip formatting for reports. Basically you can export your data, paste it in, and it creates a report automatically without having to add functions, or formulas or even graphs, as long as the data export is constant. A lot of it if text functions, or countifs, or sumifs for example. I created a full inventory management system for my mom who sells jewelry so she can assign skus to her products, and enter in her sales to run sales reports and grand total roll ups and dash boards with graphs etc, just for fun.

What kind of coding are you involved in for the web? I'm thinking of getting more into web development.
(April 19, 2016 at 11:32 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote:

Access? Haha, this is an Oracle shop.

Kids these days.

with their music and their access...
"I'm thick." - Me

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Microsoft making helmets for soldiers Fake Messiah 18 1388 May 10, 2021 at 11:46 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Microsoft to dump it's computers into the sea. Succubus 26 3642 June 8, 2018 at 12:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Microsoft wins US data access case account_inactive 2 753 July 19, 2016 at 8:30 pm
Last Post: account_inactive
  Microsoft has released another bot for testing. brewer 5 1195 April 15, 2016 at 9:10 am
Last Post: brewer
  Microsoft creates Teen Girl Chatbot, it goes how you'd expect TheRealJoeFish 8 2127 March 25, 2016 at 9:42 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Microsoft is a pain in the ass Joods 72 10489 February 29, 2016 at 11:09 am
Last Post: account_inactive
  Microsoft Orgasm bennyboy 12 2982 April 3, 2015 at 9:36 am
Last Post: Tonus
  Would you let your employer or office building put an RFID chip in you? Faith No More 24 4239 February 3, 2015 at 11:32 pm
Last Post: vorlon13