Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 12:50 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Microsoft to dump it's computers into the sea.
Microsoft to dump it's computers into the sea.
Quote:The theory is that the cost of cooling the computers will be cut by placing them underwater.

"We think we actually get much better cooling underwater than on land," says Ben Cutler, who is in charge of what Microsoft has dubbed Project Natick.

What am I missing here, why not keep the thing onshore and cool it with pumped sea water?

Quote:An undersea cable brings the data centre power and takes its data to the shore and the wider internet - but if the computers onboard break, they cannot be repaired.

What the fuck‽ Why bother? I'm obviously missing something here but what?
The cost of this project has to be in the millions, a ten horsepower water pump and a few hundred meters of 6" pipe would cost... fuckall.

My bold.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-44368813

Edit to fix link.
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.
RE: Microsoft to dump it's computers into the sea.
Working link here:

I must say I'm intrigued.

The point is that any savings you make scale up as you get much larger data farms. If you have to pump water in to cool your computers then it won't be as efficient because it takes energy to pump the water, which also produces heat. If you have it underwater then you don't need to pump any water or air and rely on tidal power instead.

The problem is though if that a single component fails then the entire server is unusable. They're saying that in an oxygen free environment this is less likely to happen but I'm sceptical because components don't just fail for environmental reasons but because they weren't built properly in the factory. So whether it actually saves money is unknown.
'less likely to happen' is engineer-speak for 'Eventually, you're fucked.'

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(June 6, 2018 at 10:33 am)Succubus Wrote:
Quote:The theory is that the cost of cooling the computers will be cut by placing them underwater.

"We think we actually get much better cooling underwater than on land," says Ben Cutler, who is in charge of what Microsoft has dubbed Project Natick.

What am I missing here, why not keep the thing onshore and cool it with pumped sea water?

Quote:An undersea cable brings the data centre power and takes its data to the shore and the wider internet - but if the computers onboard break, they cannot be repaired.

What the fuck‽ Why bother? I'm obviously missing something here but what?
The cost of this project has to be in the millions, a ten horsepower water pump and a few hundred meters of 6" pipe would cost... fuckall.

My bold.

Edit to fix link.
So, obviously I have no idea..but I can offer two possibilities for their decision.  One, if the choice with water is between pumping and in-situ use, you always pick the latter option.  Second..if you do have to pick the former option..pumping saltwater is about the most costly thing imaginable..when it comes to pumping water.  Maintenance.  Better to pump freshwater in, mix salt in a tank, then discharge and do it again......but there are huge costs (and a bevy of laws) about that as well.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Service engineer equiped with screwdriver, soldering iron and a rubber suit!
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

(June 6, 2018 at 10:33 am)Succubus Wrote: What am I missing here, why not keep the thing onshore and cool it with pumped sea water?

Well right off the bat, the title of the article says they're investigating. They're not rolling this out large scale, they're just investigating to see if works and makes things more efficient. 

Beyond that, I think your 10hp pump comment is a little off the mark. Data centers are the size of large buildings. You're going to need something a little more substantial than a 10hp pump to keep it cool. And when you think about it, seems it would be way cheaper to move bits down a data pipe than it is to move water. As for not being able to repair broken computers, we've been sending computer equipped objects into space for decades. Can't fix the computers on those either that seems to work out ok most of the time.
[Image: Your-plan-Reality.jpg]
The russians or chinese will steal it. Damn commies!
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
[Image: race5.jpg]
(June 6, 2018 at 2:00 pm)johan Wrote:
(June 6, 2018 at 10:33 am)Succubus Wrote: What am I missing here, why not keep the thing onshore and cool it with pumped sea water?

Well right off the bat, the title of the article says they're investigating. They're not rolling this out large scale, they're just investigating to see if works and makes things more efficient. 

Beyond that, I think your 10hp pump comment is a little off the mark. Data centers are the size of large buildings. You're going to need something a little more substantial than a 10hp pump to keep it cool. And when you think about it, seems it would be way cheaper to move bits down a data pipe than it is to move water. As for not being able to repair broken computers, we've been sending computer equipped objects into space for decades. Can't fix the computers on those either that seems to work out ok most of the time.

The cost of space grade components to increase the reliability of their servers would be orders of magnitude more expensive than remaining cooled on land.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Will quantum computers slow our Internet down? FlatAssembler 5 500 November 16, 2023 at 3:42 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Microsoft making helmets for soldiers Fake Messiah 18 1462 May 10, 2021 at 11:46 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Including Assembly into C++ FlatAssembler 14 1463 December 4, 2019 at 6:29 am
Last Post: FlatAssembler
  Why are our mini-computers called smartphones? Alexmahone 57 4533 September 1, 2018 at 6:05 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Microsoft wins US data access case account_inactive 2 757 July 19, 2016 at 8:30 pm
Last Post: account_inactive
  microsoft excel and VBA for office scoobysnack 20 2531 April 21, 2016 at 12:55 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Microsoft has released another bot for testing. brewer 5 1204 April 15, 2016 at 9:10 am
Last Post: brewer
  Even the computers are Racist! Goosebump 9 1354 April 15, 2016 at 9:01 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Microsoft creates Teen Girl Chatbot, it goes how you'd expect TheRealJoeFish 8 2139 March 25, 2016 at 9:42 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Microsoft is a pain in the ass Joods 72 10620 February 29, 2016 at 11:09 am
Last Post: account_inactive