Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 9:31 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not this shit again, Hitchens deathbed "conversion".
Not this shit again, Hitchens deathbed "conversion".
They pulled this shit with Darwin, and Einstein and Anthony Flew. And once again, yet another moron claims an atheist changed their minds.

No it isn't impossible for an atheist to go back to believing. But in states of sudden trauma, mental decline, or terminal illness, any alleged conversion has to be suspect. Really no different than knowing a sober person is better suited to drive a vehicle than a drunk person. 

I call bullshit on this story. I smell a rat taking advantage of a dead man who isn't around to defend himself. Knowing what his history was, he would never want someone to take him seriously while not in a lucid healthy state. People can and do say things they normally would not say in mental decline much like when someone is drunk they say things they normally wouldn't say. 

http://www.christianpost.com/news/atheis...on-161972/
RE: Not this shit again, Hitchens deathbed "conversion".
What a motherfucker.

I don't even understand what their point is. Mentally deteriorated people sometimes start believing our bullshit, so you should too? More back patting. This isn't going to convince anyone with a functioning brain call of anything.

How disgusting.

Looking closesly: it doesn't even say he converted, just that he "considered it". I call bullshit too. If he really said any of that, he wasn't in his right mind. But the whole thing sounds made up.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(April 19, 2016 at 10:19 am)robvalue Wrote: What a motherfucker.

I don't even understand what their point is. Mentally deteriorated people sometimes start believing our bullshit, so you should too? More back patting. This isn't going to convince anyone with a functioning brain call of anything.

How disgusting.

Looking closesly: it doesn't even say he converted, just that he "considered it". I call bullshit too. If he really said any of that, he wasn't in his right mind. But the whole thing sounds made up.

Anthony Flew is another case Christians use. That is an even bigger case and he as well was in mental decline at the time of his claimed conversion. 

What is also utter bullshit is the so what? This religious narcissism also assumes on a planet of 7 billion that there is only one religion. This is simply hearsay and especially it has nothing to do with science in any case. It is simply another bullshit marketing tactic and exploitation of a dead man.
Even if the story were true, it's just an example of people doing irrational things when in an irrational mindset. Like some testimony about a drug addict who was offered a hand up, and converted to the religion of the guy that was trying to help them. Or the idea that there are no atheists in foxholes. Fear can make you do some crazy things. If someone normally has to be in a vulnerable state to believe what you're saying, then what you're saying isn't very believable.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Indeed. Apologetics is based on dishonesty.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(April 19, 2016 at 10:58 am)robvalue Wrote: Indeed. Apologetics is based on dishonesty.

Yep, it is the difference between a historian who merely reports neutrally, and the apologist who is trying to get you to buy an old rusted out used car. Put some bondo on it, slap a fresh coat of paint on it, wax it, but don't bother telling them the transmission is shot.
They find a handful of supposed 'deathbed conversions' that they can't provide verification of and it's very validating for them. Perhaps because over the last 7 years, the USA added about 18-1900 new atheists a day, while Christians dropped by about 7,500 a day over the same period. They need to count every win they can get, even if they have to make them up.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
(April 19, 2016 at 11:06 am)Mister Agenda Wrote: They find a handful of supposed 'deathbed conversions' that they can't provide verification of and it's very validating for them. Perhaps because over the last 7 years, the USA added about 18-1900 new atheists a day, while Christians dropped by about 7,500 a day over the same period. They need to count every win they can get, even if they have to make them up.

Legally they have the right to try, I'd ask them why though? I doubt though that Hitchen's family would have a case to sue, but still a dick move by this author in any case. 

We no longer value claims of flat earth, nor do we value claims of Thor and we live fine without believing in Egyptian polytheism? Humans should stop thinking it is so horrible to give up on old and bad claims. Giving up on bad claims is how humans learn and progress.

If our species never questioned social norms, our species never would have left the caves.
As usual, Robert Green Ingersoll noted the tendency over a century ago.  Nothing ever changes with religitards.

Quote:Orthodox Christians have the habit of claiming all great men, all men who have held important positions, men of reputation, men of wealth. As soon as the funeral is over clergymen begin to relate imaginary conversations with the deceased, and in a very little while the great man is changed to a Christian -- possibly to a saint.
-- Robert Green Ingersoll
(April 19, 2016 at 11:49 am)Minimalist Wrote: As usual, Robert Green Ingersoll noted the tendency over a century ago.  Nothing ever changes with religitards.

Quote:Orthodox Christians have the habit of claiming all great men, all men who have held important positions, men of reputation, men of wealth. As soon as the funeral is over clergymen begin to relate imaginary conversations with the deceased, and in a very little while the great man is changed to a Christian -- possibly to a saint.
-- Robert Green Ingersoll

Well you can't have a bible verse claiming nonbelievers never do anything good, while having men in power doing good despite not being religious. You can't always convert them by force, so you have to fall back on claiming they converted right before death when they're no longer around to dispute it.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Turkey's Erdogan orders the conversion of Hagia Sophia back into a mosque AniKoferBo 91 2771 July 15, 2020 at 4:44 pm
Last Post: Little lunch
  Founder of Conversion Therapy program comes out as gay Figbash 9 840 September 6, 2019 at 7:44 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Fucking Catholic Sacks of Shit Minimalist 0 438 October 28, 2018 at 9:39 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  The Lying Sack of Shit Keeps Lying Minimalist 16 1225 October 28, 2018 at 8:41 pm
  No Shit, Sherlock! Minimalist 0 371 August 3, 2018 at 11:51 am
  Gay conversion therapy' to be banned as part of LGBT equality plan possibletarian 9 1256 July 4, 2018 at 9:58 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  That's What You Get For Being Spineless Sacks of Shit Minimalist 5 661 June 20, 2018 at 4:00 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Franklin Graham Loses His Shit After Wisconsin Defeat Minimalist 9 1594 April 6, 2018 at 7:25 pm
Last Post: rskovride
  Trump Jr. & Eric have new business selling shit from China Fake Messiah 1 559 March 21, 2018 at 11:26 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Oh, Surprise, Surprise. The WLB Is Full Of Shit Minimalist 2 838 February 13, 2018 at 4:37 pm
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist