Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 10:54 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[split] Agnostic atheism is the only intellectually honest position
[split] Agnostic atheism is the only intellectually honest position
(July 26, 2010 at 6:56 pm)theVOID Wrote: And talk about how agnostic atheism is the only intellectually honest position.
That opinion depends on the atheist though. I consider myself a strong gnostic atheist for a number of quite honest reasons, debatable sure, but I would not really want to watch a show that declares agnostic atheism as the only intellectually honest way to be as its message.
I'm really shitty at giving kudos and rep. That's because I would be inconsistent in remembering to do them, and also I don't really want it to show if any favouritism is happening. Even worse would be inconsistencies causing false favouritisms to show. So, fuck it. Just assume that I've given you some good rep and a number of kudos, and everyone should be happy...
RE: Podcast Ideas
(July 27, 2010 at 3:11 pm)Scented Nectar Wrote:
(July 26, 2010 at 6:56 pm)theVOID Wrote: And talk about how agnostic atheism is the only intellectually honest position.
That opinion depends on the atheist though. I consider myself a strong gnostic atheist for a number of quite honest reasons, debatable sure, but I would not really want to watch a show that declares agnostic atheism as the only intellectually honest way to be as its message.

Tough luck, but it's true.

The combination of the totality of current human knowledge and logical application cannot possibly conclude that gods "do not exist".
True if you're incapable of thought.
(July 27, 2010 at 5:54 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: True if you're incapable of thought.

Do you not ever grow tired of spurting out all this unfounded noise fr0d0?
It's necessary against the blinkered VOID.
(July 27, 2010 at 4:59 pm)theVOID Wrote: The combination of the totality of current human knowledge and logical application cannot possibly conclude that gods "do not exist".
It can if you go by the actual definitions rather than made up new imaginary creatures, eg. the embodiment of some emotion, like they say sometimes with love, justice, etc. To claim that an emotion is a conscious entity is nuts but it's not a god they believe in. It's when they add to it god traits, like a supernature, supremacy, etc. that it totally becomes a logical impossibility.

Here's some of the definitions I'll probably be using when I do a youtube on it:

I'm really shitty at giving kudos and rep. That's because I would be inconsistent in remembering to do them, and also I don't really want it to show if any favouritism is happening. Even worse would be inconsistencies causing false favouritisms to show. So, fuck it. Just assume that I've given you some good rep and a number of kudos, and everyone should be happy...
You can't conclude that God or other deities don't exist by looking at and analysing definitions from the dictionary.
"God is dead" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Faith is what you have in things that DON'T exist. - Homer J. Simpson
(July 28, 2010 at 5:29 am)Shinylight Wrote: You can't conclude that God or other deities don't exist by looking at and analysing definitions from the dictionary.
I can conclude that god(s) *AS DEFINED IN THE DICTIONARIES* do not exist. The logical impossibilities arising from all the definitions I've found there take my atheistic belief from the highly improbable point-zero-zero-etc-one chance of a god, all the way to a full assertion that god positively does not exist (asserted by me - I'm not saying anyone else must believe it full strength like I do). I'm also not saying that I might never change my mind on this, just that this is what my current atheism belief strength is.
Well, definitions of God that logically contradict themselves and therefore cannot logically exist disprove themselves, yeah.
RE: [split] Agnostic atheism is the only intellectually honest position
Ditto EVF...

Scented - I don't really seeing the point in debunking the validity of dictionary defined gods, anyone who believes in the God will say "Webster does not define my beliefs" which is a perfectly valid objection to your work. All you are really going to achieve by this is spending a lot of time impressing nobody but yourself.

Also, to say that the basis of your atheism is the fact that dictionary defined gods are logically contradictory seems a rather weak standpoint.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Let's be honest Kingpin 109 6540 May 21, 2023 at 5:39 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Local woman says only way she has survived during COVID is faith Tomatoshadow2 41 2784 December 21, 2020 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Agnosticism IS the most dishonest position R00tKiT 575 39028 March 18, 2020 at 9:24 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
Photo Only 10% of the Nobel prize winners are atheist ? Now I am a Believer 90 6768 January 28, 2020 at 8:29 pm
Last Post: notimportant1234
  Only 10% of the Nobel prize winners are atheist ? Now I am a Believer 0 564 January 18, 2020 at 9:58 am
Last Post: Now I am a Believer
  Question from an agnostic chrisNub 41 9358 March 30, 2018 at 7:28 am
Last Post: robvalue
  The only human being to have won 2 unshared Nobel Prizes was an atheist. Jehanne 29 6627 March 14, 2018 at 10:35 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27096 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  The only way I could believe ....... Brian37 16 3412 April 28, 2017 at 7:25 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  My brother who used to be a devout Muslim is now agnostic Lebneni Murtad 4 1384 March 21, 2017 at 5:08 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene