Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 7:23 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why don't poor people vote?
Why don't poor people vote?
Bernie Sanders recently made the point that poor people don't vote. It is very true. So why don't they? I am getting more politically active recently and I truly believe this country would be a lot different if voter turnout got into the 80's. I have this idea to try and start a local get and vote campaign going. I think that it would be cool to try and talk businesses to have employee meetings where they'll allow a short talk on the importance of voting and then helping them register to vote. Why the fuck do we vote on tuesdays too?
RE: Why don't poor people vote?
Poor people do vote. They're called bible belt Republicans who hear their candidates speak of god and go all gaga stupid.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Either they do, or they don't care to, or methods of voter suppression prevent them from doing so. The voting on Tuesdays being one such example of voter suppression.
I am John Cena's hip-hop album.
(May 2, 2016 at 10:52 pm)Maelstrom Wrote: Poor people do vote.  They're called bible belt Republicans who hear their candidates speak of god and go all gaga stupid.

Honestly, I don't think those people vote either
I'm not so convinced it's just the poor.

When I worked at the defense contractor I was amazed at the number of my coworkers that blew off local only races and just turned out for presidential ones.

I took to ragging on them by noting I invariably voted for every bond issue and tax hike that came up in most all those pesky little local votes that seemed to occur every 6 months or so.

The company had a paid lobbyist in Washington (an odious practice for sure) but the company itself (corporate level) seemed indifferent to local races.

In this rural backwater I'm stuck in now I'm also surprised at the lack of thronging at the local polling place, can't say I've ever been there and had to wait at all.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I like the idea of mandatory voting but I think it's only good as an idea
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
Many are probably pessimistic and think they can't make a difference. That kind of attitude probably correlates with being poor because you have to take some risks to get ahead. You probably won't do that if you're overly pessimistic.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
I'm poor and I vote. I like the process, even if, in the end, it's not only my votes that count.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
I shall ask some if I ever meet some.

Tongue
Dying to live, living to die.
(May 3, 2016 at 12:42 am)The Valkyrie Wrote: I shall ask some if I ever meet some.

Tongue

What, poor people don't develop coronary artery disease? I'm guessing you've met quite a few of them. Of course, I imagine they aren't exactly conversational when they're in your parlor.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Earning the Vote FrustratedFool 111 4717 November 9, 2023 at 4:06 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Kevin McCarthy loses 6th vote for Speaker Brian37 111 5124 January 7, 2023 at 10:04 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Bacha Bazi: how poor Afghani boys were raped. WinterHold 76 5755 December 29, 2022 at 2:25 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  You think people who hate Queen Elizabeth 2 is same reason MAGA people hated Obama Woah0 13 1322 December 20, 2022 at 3:55 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Why don't Southern states outlaw interracial marriage? Jehanne 12 1161 July 26, 2022 at 7:55 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  GOP's stranglehold on Cuban-American's vote. Brian37 19 1487 August 22, 2021 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Would you vote for a Scientologist? Fake Messiah 19 967 March 14, 2021 at 12:53 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Want to sell more guns? Vote ( D ) onlinebiker 145 7822 February 26, 2021 at 7:04 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Lincoln Project/Vote Vets ad, featuring Sully..... Brian37 18 1355 September 30, 2020 at 3:58 am
Last Post: Sal
  Save The Vote - NOTA onlinebiker 18 770 September 29, 2020 at 6:39 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate