Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 11:05 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Replacing phone wall jack
Replacing phone wall jack
If anyone has done it. It tells you to match up the colors. Red to red black to black yellow to yellow green to green. But after removing the jack cover I discovered only the red and green wires were screwed into the jack.

So it looks like only two wires are needed. But I tried both attaching all 4 then only the two and still no signal.
RE: Replacing phone wall jack
When was that particular jack last operational?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
My line was acting up on and off . And this is the 4th time in 7 ,years. All the guy does is strip the wires and replaced the jack. I simply want to prove to myself I can fix it on my own
It's been severed at some point between the jack and the junction - which would explain intermittent failure. Got mice?

All you'll need to do, if that's the case, is run new line, or tie the old line back together at the break(assuming you can find it). It would be an opportunity to update the jack as well, get some cat cable running alongside - at the least...if you're gonna be in the walls/attic/crawlspace anyway.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
or a creepy stalker wanting to isolate you
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Snip snip..."that'll teach him not to call me back".
Take Rhythm's advice and run a new line back to the telco interface box.

You only need the one pair of wires for a single line.

(Insert "people still have landlines" joke here)
The weird part is that at the jack it was using red and green but going out from the junction interface it was using yellow and black. Direct line too.
I had to get up into the attic to put in a new chimney for my stove when we moved into this place..figured I'd fix whatever wiring I found up there with exposed metal/breaks...expected mice, found....fucking.......snakes.  Found em in my duct work, my basement, my siding, my daughter (Momo) "found" one coiled up behind the toilet.

I considered the wisdom in burning the place to the ground for more than a few minutes.
Won't do that not worth prison

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bill paying and automated vs real person on phone Brian37 36 1980 September 2, 2020 at 4:49 pm
Last Post: *Deidre*
  Your phone's ringtone. Foxaèr 33 3675 May 17, 2018 at 7:17 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  My humor, I know it's off the wall Foxaèr 13 2071 May 8, 2018 at 8:03 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Happy Birthday JACK!!!! KittyAnn 37 8445 April 18, 2018 at 9:22 am
Last Post: Aegon
  Quite possibly the most bizzare phone survey I've ever taken vorlon13 2 695 October 27, 2017 at 6:58 am
Last Post: Brian37
Heart For Jack *Deidre* 3 690 July 11, 2017 at 5:40 pm
Last Post: brewer
  If you have an android phone you should read this. #5 is the most shocking. ErGingerbreadMandude 7 1967 December 18, 2016 at 1:14 am
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude
  How do I Punch a Wall ScienceAf 28 3995 August 21, 2016 at 2:43 pm
Last Post: ScienceAf
  Remember when trump said he was going to build wall? dyresand 5 1362 February 18, 2016 at 5:16 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Buying a case for my phone Lemonvariable72 3 1215 August 14, 2015 at 4:20 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire