Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 9:47 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Something is not right in my head
Something is not right in my head
I don’t know why I feel like this.  

I just bought this Honda CBR500R brand new from the dealer.  I just don’t feel excited about this bike like I thought I would and it has nothing to do with the bike and everything to do with me. 

While looking into purchasing the bike, I’ve been all over the web looking at reviews, reading articles on safety, reading the good and the bad.  It never hit me until now because I really didn’t think about the potential.  I know there are inherent risks to riding, but for some reason it’s hugely bothering me now.

So many things… 

Everyone I know has gone down at some point except for one exception.  Drivers around here are completely insane.  

Why hasn’t this bothered me before?  I have NO clue.  I’ve driving around on a PCX150 scooter and never felt like this at all.  

I only know one person that rides personally, everyone else gave it up.   

This seriously shouldn’t bother me, but it does.  The probability of me going down or dying on this or any bike is massively high compared to other forms of transportation.  I’m seriously just looking to get around, I’m not a thrill seeker.

If I keep the bike, I’ll most likely rarely ride it out of my own personal fear of the damn thing.  If I return it to the dealer (really *sell* it back to the dealer) I will lose quite a bit of money… but nothing compared to what could happen on a really bad day.
RE: Something is not right in my head
It's classic buyer's remorse, the shiny thing in the showroom is not as cool when you get it home.

Do you have kids? A significant other? How old are you?

I don't think there's anything wrong with your head.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
My view is accidents can happen at any time no matter how prepared we are, if we always fear it there'd be no moving forward. So I feel, instead of being afraid just enjoy life. As long as you don't actively seek danger and observe basic safety and precautions, it's all fine! Smile
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(May 27, 2016 at 8:45 am)SteelCurtain Wrote: It's classic buyer's remorse, the shiny thing in the showroom is not as cool when you get it home.

No I don't.  I'm 30 and single.

Optimal position to be in I'm sure.  I'm just not a *biker* type... My idea of fun is playing video games and creeping on forums lol.

I like riding, I really do... I'm just not sure the risk is worth the level of excitement I get out of it.
It doesn't sound to me like there's anything wrong with you.

Before you made the purchase I suppose it's all theoretical, and we tend to view things through rose tinted glasses. When they are right in front of us, suddenly reality sets in.

I'm sorry to hear you feel it's so unsafe where you live. No matter how safely you drive there is always some danger. Is there anywhere less busy you can take it?
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(May 27, 2016 at 8:56 am)robvalue Wrote: It doesn't sound to me like there's anything wrong with you.

Before you made the purchase I suppose it's all theoretical, and we tend to view things through rose tinted glasses. When they are right in front of us, suddenly reality sets in.

I'm sorry to hear you feel it's so unsafe where you live. No matter how safely you drive there is always some danger. Is there anywhere less busy you can take it?

There are plenty of less busy areas, complete with twisties, suicidal deer and other random animals, people who think it's fine to go 25-30mph over the speed limit around corners.

I know I'm being negative, but this is the reality.
(May 27, 2016 at 8:49 am)wolf39us Wrote:
(May 27, 2016 at 8:45 am)SteelCurtain Wrote: It's classic buyer's remorse, the shiny thing in the showroom is not as cool when you get it home.

No I don't.  I'm 30 and single.

Optimal position to be in I'm sure.  I'm just not a *biker* type... My idea of fun is playing video games and creeping on forums lol.

I like riding, I really do... I'm just not sure the risk is worth the level of excitement I get out of it.

Welcome to your thirties. Smile

I am also thirty, and something happened a couple of years ago where something clicked in my brain and all of a sudden I started thinking a couple of steps ahead and giving a shit about how what I do now affects me in the future.

That frontal lobe is new, we have to learn to harness its power. Big Grin
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Nothing wrong with your head, judging by your post.
"Hipster is what happens when young hot people do what old ladies do." -Exian
You probably feel like this because there are likely plenty of scare stories on the web about riding bikes.
Why don't you look for a local group of young bike riders to join? Being in a group will probably lift some of the fear and regret you're feeling at the moment. I often see groups of riders - there's also safety in numbers.
Might be the change in style, riding up right on the scooter vs low profile on the crotch rocket. Did you test drive something a little old school, like the Rebel?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Something to watch for (or avoid) The Valkyrie 24 2211 October 4, 2023 at 4:24 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Something to think about .... scamper 16 1602 November 13, 2022 at 1:10 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  A hint at something deeper Ahriman 0 206 October 5, 2022 at 8:14 pm
Last Post: Ahriman
  Something for nothing onlinebiker 92 4611 September 14, 2021 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The really real Something For Nothing no one 1 385 September 12, 2021 at 5:50 pm
  Pizza, just bit the bullet, trying something new. Brian37 19 1223 June 14, 2021 at 11:58 am
Last Post: brewer
  It’s Christmas so say something nice The Valkyrie 16 1697 December 19, 2019 at 9:03 pm
Last Post: no one
  When someone says something really stupid. Cod 8 1527 July 28, 2019 at 7:35 am
  If you see something, say something Foxaèr 24 2102 February 1, 2019 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Shell B
  Something Great Happened To Me Today... ReptilianPeon 2 968 October 2, 2018 at 12:54 pm
Last Post: ReptilianPeon