Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:59 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do theists need a threat to be moral?
Do theists need a threat to be moral?
I guess I can only really speak to xtians. Maybe others can address the other religions.

Now, xtian belief is based in fantasy but why do you think they needed to resort to threats? Either you won't get into the good place or will be sent to the bad place? Or god will reward or punish you during life.

Was this for power and control? Set up a judgement system for men to apply to each other?

Some sects use it for monetary reasons. You can be immoral but can have the slate wiped clean for a fee.

Some use it to justify killing.

Others of you may come up with more reasons.

Can theists be moral for the sake of being moral with no strings attached? Without feeling that they are getting a mark on the naughty/nice list? I don't hear this from the very devout.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
RE: Do theists need a threat to be moral?
I think most certainly have the potential, but many have been programmed to believe that they can't.

So many times I hear of people with the mindset that they would be immoral scum without religion, but then they find out when they leave it that actually they don't want to be immoral scum.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I think it says more about them than us if they insist that they need a possible glorious reward or horrendous punishment just to motivate them to act right. I would probably avoid anyone who sincerely believes that, even if I was of the same religion as them.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Most don't, I reckon.

Some do. See Drippy for evidence. Most don't.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Religion doesn't make a person more moral a non believer and atheist is more moral than the actual believer is.
But again religion it skews morality and has people to believe some certain people will burn in hell because x, y, z.
See post above for religious shit heads.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
Better to say that good people need religion to make them do bad things.
I am John Cena's hip-hop album.
(June 12, 2016 at 7:19 pm)ApeNotKillApe Wrote: Better to say that good people need religion to make them do bad things.

Make that ordinary instead of good and replace religion with ideology. Because religion, carried to it's extreme is nothing else than an ideology. But it's not the only ideology by a long chalk.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Quote: So many times I hear of people with the mindset that they would be immoral scum without religion,

A lot of the bastards are pretty scummy with religion.
The big problem is that morality gets warped by religion. As soon as you introduce other criteria, such as what a sky fairy thinks about your actions, you are poisoning what really matters.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How Can We Have Moral Direction If God Controls Everything? Rhondazvous 87 7717 August 22, 2021 at 10:23 am
Last Post: brewer
  Why is religion in the business of moral policing? NuclearEnergy 85 16637 August 13, 2017 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Atheists Have the Most Logical Reason for being Moral Rhondazvous 24 7316 January 22, 2016 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: Reforged
  My supporting POV on selfishness motivating human moral values smax 60 13407 July 15, 2015 at 5:29 am
Last Post: smax
  Questions for theists (and ex-theists, too) Longhorn 15 4888 April 23, 2015 at 3:42 pm
Last Post: orangebox21
  Moral absolutism debates. Ugh. RobbyPants 16 2905 April 15, 2015 at 9:18 am
Last Post: DeistPaladin
  Religiosity, Spirituality and the Moral Gavin Duffy 104 19436 February 23, 2015 at 1:15 am
Last Post: ether-ore
  Moral Truth The Reality Salesman01 12 3384 February 21, 2015 at 12:09 pm
Last Post: goodwithoutgod
  Moral superiority: Seculars vs Religious Creed of Heresy 27 7527 February 16, 2015 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Zenith
  The biggest threat to Atheism is Archaeology. greekGod 3 1177 August 20, 2014 at 3:49 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut