Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 6:57 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Archaeologists Find Athenian Naval Base
Archaeologists Find Athenian Naval Base
They took care of their ships.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smithsonia...pic&no-ist

Quote:Archaeologists Uncover Massive Naval Bases of the Ancient Athenians
Researchers have excavated ship sheds in the city of Piraeus that held triremes from the pivotal Battle of Salamis
RE: Archaeologists Find Athenian Naval Base
I guess, the Salamis part is just filling the blanks. But I always was fascinated with ancient naval bases. The Carthaginans had a most impressive one.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Yep.

http://www.historvius.com/carthage-punic...seum-1618/

Quote:Carthage Punic Port and Museum HISTORY

The Carthage Punic Port and Punic Port Museum can be found in the area of the ancient Carthaginian harbour near modern day Tunis.

You can go there.
A really interesting find.
Another great find. Should be interesting to see follow ups on this.
Dying to live, living to die.
Here you go, Abs.  While you are on your tour of ancient ports you can stop in at Cape Misenum.

https://pompeiitourguide.me/2013/10/21/miseno-cape/

Quote:Misenum was the largest base of the Roman navy, since its port (Portus Julius) was the base of the Classis Misenensis, the most important Roman fleet. It was first established as a naval base in 27 BC by Marcus Agrippa, the right-hand man of the emperor Augustus.
[quote='Minimalist' pid='1307772' dateline='1466364497']
Here you go, Abs.  While you are on your tour of ancient ports you can stop in at Cape Misenum.

https://pompeiitourguide.me/2013/10/21/miseno-cape/

[quote]

I was always impressed by how modern they were. Until cinvilization took a huge step in the wrong direction. Makes you wonder where we would be by now, if Rome hadn't been vanquished.

[Image: 800px-Herculaneum_Bootshaeuser.jpg]
Min, have you by any chance read the letters from Vindolanda? It's not only the architacture and contraptions that make them seem close to us, but also their thoughts and how they communicated. It's much closer to us than anything i read from the middle ages.
I have seen some of them.  I'm not aware of a full published and translated collection but there are two points that stick in memory.  One is that by Medieval standards, literacy was far more commonplace.  I recall one sent by one woman to another inviting her to a party which tells us that (radical idea!) women were educated.  Also, one does not see the incessant praising of fucking god that one sees in Medieval writing.
(June 19, 2016 at 4:02 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I have seen some of them.  I'm not aware of a full published and translated collection but there are two points that stick in memory.  One is that by Medieval standards, literacy was far more commonplace.  I recall one sent by one woman to another inviting her to a party which tells us that (radical idea!) women were educated.  Also, one does not see the incessant praising of fucking god that one sees in Medieval writing.

They are translated. I've got a book on them somewhere. Can't tell you the title right now, since it's not in my field of vision. What strikes me most are how much they obviously loved and missed each other when being apart. How they talked about everyday life, such as one soldier writing home to be sent some socks or some woman inviting another to her birthday party. Down to earth stuff that perfectly relates to our own lives.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Great Find in Egypt Minimalist 22 940 November 25, 2018 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: no one
  Interesting Find in Jerusalem Minimalist 16 1352 August 15, 2018 at 1:21 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Interesting Find in Turkey Minimalist 11 1188 February 20, 2018 at 1:14 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Nice Find, Boys Minimalist 5 647 December 10, 2017 at 2:02 pm
  We Won't Have To Wait To Long To Find Out Minimalist 22 4290 December 14, 2016 at 4:38 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  Major Find in Israel Minimalist 14 1954 July 11, 2016 at 6:44 pm
  Cold War satellites find archaeological motherlode Cyberman 23 6245 May 13, 2014 at 1:07 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb