Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 9:41 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Is there any advantage to threaded mode?
Is there any advantage to threaded mode?
I have never really used threaded mode (on any forums at all) because I find it confusing and I find linear satisfactory. I'm not quite sure how to use it probably without getting confused.
Are there any advantages to it?
RE: Is there any advantage to threaded mode?
Not in my opinion.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
It's good if it is combined with linear mode, so that posts that are responding directly to a certain post are situated directly after that post, and indented a bit. That helps with some discussions; other times it confuses the fuck out of people.
I could try it out I guess. And If I get too confused I'll stop it again. And them maybe try it again another time. Perhaps in 10 years! Lol. Perhaps every now and then.
It LOOKS good but I want to find it usable.
It really depends on how you prefer things layout-wise and what makes things easier to follow. Essentially threaded mode allows you to see who is directly responding to who. In that case it can cut down on any confusion about who a reply poster is talking to if they didn't properly specify. I personally prefer the flat mode because i keeps everything in order without feeling like the conversation is veering in 10 different directions.

There's also the downside of using the threaded mode when the majority use linear. In order to respond to like 5 different people in one thread, you have to post to each mini thread. In flat mode that translates into multiple posting which is generally frowned upon. I once saw someone make 3 posts in a row and when he was called out on it he said he was in threaded mode. (Too which we collectively sighed)

Although I find it really cool that in this forum if you double post, it automatically absorbs it into the first post and seperates it by a line. I think that's super cool.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
Perhaps I should experiment with it?
For me its like this: Threaded mode is good because: I love how its like a tree, I think thats cool.
However, threaded mode is bad because: I find it much slower to use. Maybe I'm just not used to it?
But seeing one post at a time is slow for me. Perhaps I'll work it out at some point?
Whats interesting is at atheist.net lots of people seem to be using threaded. And there's also a hybrid! Which is interesting.
I sometimes respond to the person above me so I don't need to quote him and he doesn't realize I'm talking to him. Because he's in threaded mode.
I'd say use whatever is more comfortable for you. I personally prefer flat. Big Grin
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
(December 17, 2008 at 8:47 pm)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: Perhaps I should experiment with it?
For me its like this: Threaded mode is good because: I love how its like a tree, I think thats cool.
However, threaded mode is bad because: I find it much slower to use. Maybe I'm just not used to it?
But seeing one post at a time is slow for me. Perhaps I'll work it out at some point?
Whats interesting is at atheist.net lots of people seem to be using threaded. And there's also a hybrid! Which is interesting.
I sometimes respond to the person above me so I don't need to quote him and he doesn't realize I'm talking to him. Because he's in threaded mode.
To be honest, threaded mode is only good if you have every post on a single page (so you can trace back all posts easily). On my blog, the comments are organised in a threaded mode, which makes it easier for discussion, but only because all comments are on a single page.
Ah, ok. Maybe thats why I find it difficult.
Only one post on the page at a time is annoying! (unless its the start of a thread lol).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are there any active, free, text-only chat sites that are still going? Mechaghostman2 6 614 January 4, 2021 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  There's social distancing, and then there's SOCIAL DISTANCING!!!!! Gawdzilla Sama 8 785 March 24, 2020 at 10:53 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  One advantage of small towns. onlinebiker 40 3055 May 14, 2019 at 7:51 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Is there any "atheist values" like "Christian values"? ErGingerbreadMandude 37 2855 January 7, 2018 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  I like to be taken advantage of. Edwardo Piet 5 546 December 18, 2017 at 2:01 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Are there any attractive knees? brewer 57 7446 December 2, 2016 at 12:21 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Rant mode on. Royal Family Brian37 93 13348 April 29, 2015 at 7:10 pm
Last Post: Polaris
  Are there any honest computer tec sites? Brian37 7 1930 December 18, 2013 at 4:48 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  Businesses taking advantage Ace Otana 8 2847 February 13, 2012 at 7:16 am
Last Post: Ace Otana
  Any Chile-Heads Out There? LunchBox 11 2766 September 20, 2011 at 1:58 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko