Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 4:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Well that was a short friendship
Well that was a short friendship
I know a guy from a bicycling group I belong to, only met him once out on a ride with a bunch of other cyclists.  I get a Facebook friend request from the guy, so I think, sure, I know him in person so why not?

I see that he posts Christian stuff, no big deal I have a lot of Christian friends.

Then I see that he posts a gruesome picture of a bloody aborted fetus with comments about how terrible abortion is.  I think WTF?  That was bad enough but the very next day he posts another (different) one.  Now I'm like, seriously, what the fuck?  So I unfriend him.

Look, I understand that some people are against abortion, that's fine.  They're entitled to their opinion. What I don't understand is why these people think it's appropriate to post pictures of bloody human fetuses on a public internet forum?  I mean, seriously, what the hell is wrong with you?  I often read Facebook with my kids sitting on my lap and I don't want them to see that shit.  Yes, I understand that you morons think that if you shock enough people then more people will be against abortion, but you're just making yourselves look like a bunch of ghouls.  Even if those pictures aren't faked (a lot of them are) I don't want to see that shit any more than I want to look at bloody cancerous tumors removed from people's bodies.  Even if I were against abortion, I wouldn't want to see that shit in my Facebook feed.   Not to mention that anyone who's going to be against abortion based upon a picture of a bloody fetus is likely never to have been pro-choice to begin with.  And also not to mention that most abortions occur before there is a formed fetus, when the "baby" is nothing more than a clump of cells.

Seriously, anti-abortion Christians, you need to get over this obsession you have with bloody dead fetus pictures.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
RE: Well that was a short friendship
(January 20, 2017 at 5:11 pm)Doubting Thomas Wrote: I know a guy from a bicycling group I belong to, only met him once out on a ride with a bunch of other cyclists.  I get a Facebook friend request from the guy, so I think, sure, I know him in person so why not?

I see that he posts Christian stuff, no big deal I have a lot of Christian friends.

Then I see that he posts a gruesome picture of a bloody aborted fetus with comments about how terrible abortion is.  I think WTF?  That was bad enough but the very next day he posts another (different) one.  Now I'm like, seriously, what the fuck?  So I unfriend him.

Look, I understand that some people are against abortion, that's fine.  They're entitled to their opinion. What I don't understand is why these people think it's appropriate to post pictures of bloody human fetuses on a public internet forum?  I mean, seriously, what the hell is wrong with you?  I often read Facebook with my kids sitting on my lap and I don't want them to see that shit.  Yes, I understand that you morons think that if you shock enough people then more people will be against abortion, but you're just making yourselves look like a bunch of ghouls.  Even if those pictures aren't faked (a lot of them are) I don't want to see that shit any more than I want to look at bloody cancerous tumors removed from people's bodies.  Even if I were against abortion, I wouldn't want to see that shit in my Facebook feed.   Not to mention that anyone who's going to be against abortion based upon a picture of a bloody fetus is likely never to have been pro-choice to begin with.  And also not to mention that most abortions occur before there is a formed fetus, when the "baby" is nothing more than a clump of cells.

Seriously, anti-abortion Christians, you need to get over this obsession you have with bloody dead fetus pictures.

I agree with you that posting pictures of dead, chopped up aborted babies isn't right. 

I get that the people who do are trying to show the truth about abortion, but what they are doing is disrespectful to the baby. It's an exploitation. Which is completely counter productive to the message they are trying to give, which is supposed to be a message of respect for all human life in all its stages.

We don't post pictures of dead people out of respect for that person. When you do that to an unborn baby, you're giving off the message that it's ok to do that to them.

(January 20, 2017 at 5:11 pm)Doubting Thomas Wrote: Then I see that he posts a gruesome picture of a bloody aborted fetus with comments about how terrible abortion is.  I think WTF?  That was bad enough but the very next day he posts another (different) one.  Now I'm like, seriously, what the fuck?  So I unfriend him.

Some advice for future reference, you can block a friend's posts from showing up on your feed. That way you don't have to keep seeing their posts, while still keeping the friendship.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
The thing about these so-called "pro-life" people is that you never see them protesting war with pictures of dead bodies of people killed in war zones, so why the fascination with pictures of bloody fetuses?
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
Because that's the way it is with fanatics.
I've seen worse on Facebook.
(January 20, 2017 at 5:37 pm)Doubting Thomas Wrote: The thing about these so-called "pro-life" people is that you never see them protesting war with pictures of dead bodies of people killed in war zones, so why the fascination with pictures of bloody fetuses?

The major problem I have with these people is that once it's born it loses all fascination and may rot in the streets for all they care. They're not against capital punishment, they're usually not anti war or pacifists, they're not fighting poverty, they just obsess over fetusses.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(January 20, 2017 at 5:37 pm)Doubting Thomas Wrote: The thing about these so-called "pro-life" people is that you never see them protesting war with pictures of dead bodies of people killed in war zones, so why the fascination with pictures of bloody fetuses?

Exactly. They are ironically being counter productive to their own cause by and treating the body of an aborted baby differently/with less respect than they would any other dead body. That's why I don't like it.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(January 20, 2017 at 5:40 pm)abaris Wrote: The major problem I have with these people is that once it's born it loses all fascination and may rot in the streets for all they care. They're not against capital punishment, they're usually not anti war or pacifists, they're not fighting poverty, they just obsess over fetusses.

Which is why I call them pro-birth rather than pro-life.
Same girl who posted a bloody fetus (before I deleted her) was also against gay people adopting children. Fuck the child, save the fetus, ey?
"Hipster is what happens when young hot people do what old ladies do." -Exian
(January 20, 2017 at 5:40 pm)abaris Wrote:

The major problem I have with these people is that once it's born it loses all fascination and may rot in the streets for all they care. They're not against capital punishment, they're usually not anti war or pacifists, they're not fighting poverty, they just obsess over fetusses.

Yes; this is so ironic. Obviously, they don't give a crap about this life which they think exists. They make so much about the rights of a clump of cells so uncomplicated that it's not even aware of its own existence (much like a brick) but once it's fully developed and born (and clearly conscious and capable of suffering), to hell with the mother and child. Welfare and food stamps are evil wealth redistribution.

The so-called pro-lifers don't give a shit about life - only their political agenda.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do atheists believe in the existence of friendship? KerimF 191 9163 June 9, 2023 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Für Friendship Sam Alexander 3 464 July 11, 2022 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Atheists: Why did female with fat butts and short legs exist? Lambe7 14 1909 July 30, 2020 at 7:17 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Well, I just can't change that I'm Agnostic... LivingNumbers6.626 15 2974 July 6, 2016 at 4:33 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Well shit... Socratic Meth Head 22 3124 June 15, 2016 at 5:06 pm
Last Post: RozKek
  Censorship is alive and well! Andreas Economou 10 2492 September 25, 2015 at 12:42 pm
Last Post: Andreas Economou
  atheist as well as conspiracy theorist? Athene 15 3343 August 6, 2015 at 12:34 am
Last Post: BitchinHitchins
  Well... dyresand 7 3296 January 20, 2015 at 10:15 pm
Last Post: Tonus
  My short story robvalue 8 1831 December 9, 2014 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  The most well fucked up thing. dyresand 0 806 November 3, 2014 at 9:46 pm
Last Post: dyresand