Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 11:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Common Suburb names
Common Suburb names
Speaking about Heidelberg, here in Melbourne, we have the following suburbs: (some)

Brunswick
Coburg
Moreland
Heidelberg
Parkville
Brighton
Toorak
Williamstown
Malvern
Preston
Essendon
Collingwood
Carlton
Richmond
Hawthorn

Do all of these suburbs exist in England, US, Germany?
I'm still not sure which are tradition English names and which are German?

Hell, our 4 main streets of our CBD are King St, William St, Queen St, Elisabeth St!
Apron strings anyone?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
RE: Common Suburb names
(July 7, 2016 at 8:23 am)ignoramus Wrote: Speaking about Heidelberg, here in Melbourne, we have the following suburbs: (some)

Brunswick - Georgia, Indiana, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Wisconsin, Tennessee, Texas and Virginia

Coburg        Indiana, Iowa, Oregon, Montana, Kentucky

Moreland     Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Idaho, Kentucky, Louisiana, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina

Heidelberg   Kentucky, Minnesota, Mississippi, Pennsylvania, Texas

Parkville      Maryland, New York, Colorado, Illinois, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Jersey, North Carolina, Pennsylvania

Brighton     Alabama, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Missouri, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Oregon, South Carolina, Tennessee, Utah, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin

Toorak - None listed in the US from the website I'm using

Williamstown Alabama, India, iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Missouri, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Vermont, West Virginia

Malvern Alabama, Arkansas, Illinois, Iowa, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas

Preston  Alabama, Arkansas, California, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New York, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, south Dakota, Texas, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin

Essendon None listed

Collingwood New York, Virginia

Carlton     Alabama, California, Georgia, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, New York, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Texas, Washington

Richmond  Alabama, Arkansas, California, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, New Hampshire, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Wisconsin

Hawthorn  Alabama, Pennsylvania

Do all of these suburbs exist in England, US, Germany?
I'm still not sure which are tradition English names and which are German?

Hell, our 4 main streets of our CBD are King St, William St, Queen St, Elisabeth St!
Apron strings anyone?
edited in blue to show states in the US where these cities are located.

Note that I did not include alternate spellings because there are so many.

Here is my source:
www.placesnamed.com
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
Well, then....

I've heard of several of the Brunswicks. Heidelberg is a suburban town near Pittsburgh, Pa, where I used to live. Parkville I have never heard of, but it does sound like a genericized town for a movie. Williamstown I ave heard of in Mass and PA. Preston, ID, I think, may have been where Napoleon Dynamite was filmed or set. Pretty sure it's kind of near Idaho Falls. Richmond is the capital of Virginia, and is also a SF Bay Area city (I think one of the bigger ones that isn't SF, Oakland or San Jose, the anchor cities).

As far as Hawthorne goes, if you spell it with a silent "e" at the end, you have a city in L.A. County.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
I'm less than two hours drive from Texas.
The town. :-)
We have actual whole towns called Brighton, Preston and (I think) Malvern in The UK. If Malvern isn't a town, it's a region and large hill range.

Never heard of any of the others here, but most of them sound English so they probably do exist here somewhere. (apart from Heidelberg and Toorak, which sound German and indigenous respectively).
"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the road, and then getting hit by an airplane"  - sarcasm_only

"Ironically like the nativist far-Right, which despises multiculturalism, but benefits from its ideas of difference to scapegoat the other and to promote its own white identity politics; these postmodernists, leftists, feminists and liberals also use multiculturalism, to side with the oppressor, by demanding respect and tolerance for oppression characterised as 'difference', no matter how intolerable."
- Maryam Namazie

I graduated from Parkville Senior High School in Parkville, Maryland. There is a Parkville, Pennsylvania less than an hour from me now.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
Yall better kudos my post because that was a lot of work. It was not possible to copy and paste because everything was linked so I had to switch tabs several times for each place.

Appreciate me or I will send The Valkyrie to get you all!! Muhahahah!
Texas is funny. It doesn't have the ability to think up new names for towns and streets. A good portion of our central area was settled by Germans so we have things like Fredericksburg, Stan Schlueter, and Schlitterbahn (that one is a water park in New Braunfels) then around the state we have cities named London, Paris, Scotland, etc. Our street names are all named after; horse equipment, birds, flowers, or Texas heroes. We have a lot of cities named after said heroes so you can be on Austin St Houston or Houston St Dallas... we are not good with names.

Side note both of my sisters were born in Heidelberg Germany XD
“What screws us up the most in life is the picture in our head of what it's supposed to be.”

Also if your signature makes my scrolling mess up "you're tacky and I hate you."
Coburg is a city in northern bavaria, the Brunswicks and New Brunswicks are possibly derived from the northern German city of Braunschweig.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Countries have different names in different languages Dundee 22 1954 June 26, 2021 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  September is the most common birth month. Losty 4 809 June 7, 2019 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: no one
  Common places you're a regular at. c172 47 3950 March 14, 2018 at 7:45 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Common places of business you've never graced with your patronage? Foxaèr 45 3115 March 9, 2018 at 12:33 am
Last Post: c172
  Awesome names for baby boys and baby girls ErGingerbreadMandude 37 3558 February 14, 2018 at 2:40 am
Last Post: energizer bunny
  Names. Longhorn 28 3490 January 28, 2018 at 8:41 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  25 Common Myths Minimalist 1 450 April 5, 2017 at 9:51 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Anagrams of user names robvalue 72 7576 December 29, 2016 at 6:52 pm
Last Post: A Handmaid
  Changing names is fun! Iroscato 102 9597 October 27, 2015 at 3:38 pm
Last Post: Losty
  The most ridiculous city names in the US rado84 47 8524 July 16, 2015 at 1:19 am
Last Post: c172