Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 8:40 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Book Protagonist that SUCK!!!
Book Protagonist that SUCK!!!
As an avid bibliophile I've read my fair share of books, and even in books that I love there some seriously shitty protagonist. I felt my fellow books lovers would like air their grievances against these horrible heroes. And obviously this thread will be full of spoilers so tread lightly.
RE: Book Protagonist that SUCK!!!
I think I'll start us off, Rubeus Hagrid. He's terrible. I can't tell if he's supposed be developmentally delayed or if he's just an asshole. Draco Malfoy (and I hate Malfoy) is right to want him gone. He brings dangerous vicious creatures to his lessons. When his class I rightly frightened he says things like "Don't hurt them!" and "They was only playing." He's forever breaking the law: 1 Creating mutants that are crossbreeds of already highly dangerous magical creatures 2. Transporting his giant brother who was also highly dangerous across a few countries then endangering other people (yes I consider the centaurs people) and disrupting their lives by keeping a giant in their home 3. While I'm not against the occasional drink Hagrid is always drinking to excess. 4. When anyone tries to dissuade him from wrong doing or point out flaws in his logic he blows them off! 5. He's always pretending he totally isn't hiding his wand in that umbrella, and honestly from the way he acts he totally doesn't need a wand
Hagrid isn't the protagonist, Harry is.

My pick would be Holden Caulfield from 'Catcher In The Rye'. I like the idea of the book, but not how it's place in the frame of Holden's never-ending whinge. About everything. I mean, EVERYTHING. People have a right to complain, but this guy never does anything else. I think the novel would have been greatly improved if Salinger had included a plot device whereby Holden enters a coma during the first chapter and doesn't come out of it until the sequel. What's that you say? There isn't a sequel? So much the better...

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(July 13, 2016 at 3:18 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Hagrid isn't the protagonist, Harry is.

My pick would be Holden Caulfield from 'Catcher In The Rye'. I like the idea of the book, but not how it's place in the frame of Holden's never-ending whinge. About everything. I mean, EVERYTHING. People have a right to complain, but this guy never does anything else. I think the novel would have been greatly improved if Salinger had included a plot device whereby Holden enters a coma during the first chapter and doesn't come out of it until the sequel. What's that you say? There isn't a sequel? So much the better...

Boru
hes still part of Harry's friends and a main/supporting character
(July 13, 2016 at 3:34 am)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:
(July 13, 2016 at 3:18 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Hagrid isn't the protagonist, Harry is.

My pick would be Holden Caulfield from 'Catcher In The Rye'.  I like the idea of the book, but not how it's place in the frame of Holden's never-ending whinge.  About everything.  I mean, EVERYTHING.  People have a right to complain, but this guy never does anything else.  I think the novel would have been greatly improved if Salinger had included a plot device whereby Holden enters a coma during the first chapter and doesn't come out of it until the sequel.  What's that you say?  There isn't a sequel?  So much the better...

Boru
hes still part of Harry's friends and a main/supporting character

True enough.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Jesus Christ. 'Nuff said.
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
Jesus Christ is much better than King David or Moses.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(July 13, 2016 at 4:38 am)Alex K Wrote: Jesus Christ is much better than King David or Moses.

In what sense? At least some of other a**hole protagonists in the bible did some entertaining - albeit gruesome - sh*t. Jesus just walked around, performed magic tricks, told bullsh*t stories to illiterate peasants and got himself killed, the hippy t*at. And he doesn't even get laid once in all four gospels. 

And then there's also the problem of the horrible, cliched, Hollywood-style ending, where the protagonist inexplicably comes back from the dead... 0/10 Would not recommend. Tongue
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
I love the Catcher in the Rye and Harry Potter.

I dislike those two cunts, male and female, from 60 shades of retardism.
In a few Stephen King books I wouldn't say the protagonists suck, if anything really sucks badly in a book I can't carry on reading it.

But it's annoying that a lot of his protagonists are writers, just like him, and seem to be popular with the ladies, and in a pretty corny way too.

Or in the gunslinger book when he says the gunslinger has an eye for detail and if I remember rightly he draws on similarities to himself as a writer with an eye for detail, that was pretty fucking annoying. If you're a geek with big thick glasses who's amazing at writing books then plenty of people will respect you for that, but there's no need to start thinking "Hey I'm a bit like a cool western gun slinging killer with the way I write my books with such detail."

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Top Book Recommendations FrustratedFool 17 1026 August 15, 2023 at 11:11 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Andy Weir's new book due out May 4th. Gawdzilla Sama 2 255 December 24, 2020 at 10:47 pm
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  Book banning Spongebob 39 3127 December 21, 2020 at 10:51 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Sci-fi/fantasy author criticizes book store for stocking dead guys Foxaèr 9 1106 April 20, 2019 at 8:18 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Favorite Book From Childhood T0 Th3 M4X 16 1997 December 23, 2018 at 8:06 pm
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  Gay bunny book outsells Pence family's bunny book Foxaèr 1 376 March 20, 2018 at 1:49 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Terry Goodkind's 'Sword of Truth' book series Foxaèr 17 1998 February 21, 2018 at 11:42 am
Last Post: mlmooney89
  First Children's Book to Teach the Big Bang to preschoolers GeorgiasTelescope 15 3655 June 24, 2017 at 7:54 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  So, I published my first children's book–Tori the Time Traveler Shell B 38 6079 May 28, 2017 at 11:13 am
Last Post: Shell B
  For Fantasy/Sci-Fiction Lovers: What Makes You Reada Book? Rhondazvous 51 5313 February 27, 2017 at 5:58 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous