Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:30 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dreams
Dreams
Hey, I thought I'd make a thread about dreams because I've always liked them and like discussing them.

I've always had odd dreams and I usually remember them. I remember dreams from when I was very young. Some I just remember very short details of or an image of it. Some are kind of vivid, some I remember a lot of it.

Anyway, my favorite dreams are odd and "bland" dreams and scary dreams.  Odd and bland dreams for me are those dreams where everything is misplaced, the atmosphere is bland and everything else, the emotions, the people and such is also bland, and it's very very calm. It's as if in those dreams you can sense the lack of purpose. I don't know why I like them, what is there to like about them?

My dreams that I don't like are my fever dreams, they make me feel extremely uneasy and they're very repetitive. My fever dream is pretty much there is a huge billiard board and there are tons of billiard balls rolling everywhere, they roll randomly, insanely fast, then they suddenly change pace, become huge and very slow. I can hear all of the rumbling, the rumbling changes with the pace of the rolling. While I'm having the dream I feel really awful and when I wake up I'm covered in sweat and have a hot forehead. 

Some dreams are quite interesting some are not fun.

In many cases I can trace the cause of the dreams to something that has happened, something that I've experienced.

Anyway to start of with my most recent dream. This one wasn't very interesting but it was kind of scary so I liked it:

I was by the busstops and trams 5 mins from where I live. It's like the suburbs center (No idea what the word for that is). The atmosphere was odd, I knew the place but it looked odd, things were misplaced etc. I was going somewhere with my friends. By the entrance there was a huge gas tank for some reason and suddenly in front of me I see this odd machine of two pieces with wheels. It stood still and suddenly one piece of the machine slams onto the other piece and it launches forward into the gas tank and everyone panics. I hear this rumbling sound, it was rhytmic, every second or so we heard. It sounded artificial, like a damp electrical sound. When the sound started my friend yelled "WHEN YOU HEAR THAT SOUND YOU RUN!". The tank was going to explode. So we all ran to the opposite direction, I could feel my heart beating faster and stronger. I was trying to run but I felt slow. To the left of me there was a bridge and to its right there was a lot of water deep down. I thought I'd jump but it was too deep, I just ran away. Everything looked so unreal, odd and misplaced. And then I woke up.

How are your dreams?
RE: Dreams
TL;DR, sorry, but I'm only interested in lucid dreams anyway, and I'm so lazy I haven't ever had a third one yet. I need to practice...
(July 23, 2016 at 9:30 am)Excited Penguin Wrote: TL;DR, sorry, but I'm only interested in lucid dreams anyway, and I'm so lazy I haven't ever had a third one yet. I need to practice...

I've had two by accident. My first one I panicked and woke up. Second time I realised I dreamt midway and flew over the town to the shops and then a vacuum cleaner woke me up. It's quite fun.
I'm not at all interested in lucid dreams but very much interested in what is given in dreams that is not my doing. I don't often recall dreams but I've had a few epic ones, often recurring. The earliest of these would have been when I was 7 or younger because I remember where we lived when I had it. In it there is a pyramid with a path/ramp climbing up around the outside. I'm going up the ramp amid a crowd of people. At the top I see a monstrously large green fish with a human face and menacing expression. Everyone is afraid of the fish, bowing to it and quick to do its bidding. When I get to the top I slice the face of with a knife. (How that works logistically is a mystery.) But when the face comes off there is a torrent of blood pours out making it hard not to be swept away. I remember feeling relieved.

Analysis: I feel like the fish represented authority misused. I'm told that before I started school I spoke so fast that people had a hard time understanding what I said. Constantly being asked to repeat myself made me mad and I would have tantrums where I'd kick people or run around the house unmaking beds and throwing things around. (I have no recollection of this aside from having been told it.) Of course the fish is a symbol of Christianity. At that time I very much believed in God, at least the one of my imagination. So I have thought the dream might have presaged my soon to follow atheism. Purely speculation of course. There are no authoritative interpretations dreams. If there were, I'd cut their face off. =)
I generally don't dream about what has happened recently at all. Instead, I have incredibly bizarre dreams that I often can't put into words, even after I've just woken up from them. The concepts involved are too unreal that they only make sense within the dream.

I don't put a lot of stock in finding meaning from my dreams. I have noticed however a trend of my brain dropping me into situations I would never normally get myself into, by hijacking me and making me do something bad. It's varied from throwing a brick through a window right up to drowning someone. I'm then "returned control" of myself within the dream (although this sensation is probably just part of the dream) and then left to see how I cope. I'm generally shocked and plagued with guilt about the horrible thing I've done, and have no idea how I can make it right or live with it.

I generally have irritating or bad dreams. I once had a dream so bad that it seemed it went on for years, and I felt like I was having the worst mental torture possible

Very occasionally I'll have a good dream. These generally involve me having some sort of super powers which let me enjoy life in ways I never usually could. Or sometimes sexual dreams.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Are wet dreams lucid dreams. If so, I haven't been lucid for a long fucking time. I'm guessing that they were just wish fulfillment dreams.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(July 23, 2016 at 8:58 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: Are wet dreams lucid dreams. If so, I haven't been lucid for a long fucking time. I'm guessing that they were just wish fulfillment dreams.

Lucid dreams are practically your own Virtual Reality. It's really hard to train to have them whenever you want though.
I've only recently started actually remembering that I've dreamed, let alone the dreams themselves.

Ivy is in every single one! I wonder if that's been true the entire three years I've crushed on her!
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
(July 23, 2016 at 8:49 pm)robvalue Wrote: I generally don't dream about what has happened recently at all. Instead, I have incredibly bizarre dreams that I often can't put into words, even after I've just woken up from them. The concepts involved are too unreal that they only make sense within the dream.

I don't put a lot of stock in finding meaning from my dreams. I have noticed however a trend of my brain dropping me into situations I would never normally get myself into, by hijacking me and making me do something bad. It's varied from throwing a brick through a window right up to drowning someone. I'm then "returned control" of myself within the dream (although this sensation is probably just part of the dream) and then left to see how I cope. I'm generally shocked and plagued with guilt about the horrible thing I've done, and have no idea how I can make it right or live with it.

I generally have irritating or bad dreams. I once had a dream so bad that it seemed it went on for years, and I felt like I was having the worst mental torture possible

Very occasionally I'll have a good dream. These generally involve me having some sort of super powers which let me enjoy life in ways I never usually could. Or sometimes sexual dreams.

Oh :< Damn. I don't know what to say.
(July 23, 2016 at 9:13 pm)The_Empress Wrote: I've only recently started actually remembering that I've dreamed, let alone the dreams themselves.

Ivy is in every single one! I wonder if that's been true the entire three years I've crushed on her!

This is where I start smiling the rest of the day. Heart
"Hipster is what happens when young hot people do what old ladies do." -Exian

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dreams WinterHold 1 371 November 27, 2017 at 3:13 am
Last Post: chorlton
  What are your goals and dreams? Edwardo Piet 40 4389 November 6, 2017 at 10:07 pm
Last Post: c172
  Share Your Weird Dreams Shell B 24 9472 July 28, 2017 at 11:57 am
Last Post: Shell B
  Together we share ours dreams viocjit 41 6049 May 11, 2017 at 12:34 am
Last Post: viocjit
  Weird Dreams Mechaghostman2 31 2852 February 28, 2017 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Recurring Dreams Bob Kelso 31 2446 July 22, 2016 at 3:44 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Share your dreams/nightmares robvalue 28 3154 October 5, 2015 at 2:36 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Kooky Dreams Phatt Matt s 1 987 April 6, 2014 at 5:48 am