Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 11:34 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New relatives from India to visit. Any advice would be much appreciated.
New relatives from India to visit. Any advice would be much appreciated.
My nephew (wife's brother's son) married a very nice India born young woman from Hyderabad.  We were invited to the wedding but begged out as I was still teaching and anal like that.  Her parents are in medicine, I believe he has or had a government position monitoring infectious diseases.  Anyhow, their daughter Lisa and Martin (the nephew) came out to visit us in the summer after their wedding so that we could show them around the state a little and celebrate their wedding.  She said her dad would love my garden and I encouraged her to encourage him to come visit.  So now he is coming this Sunday.

I've been busy the past few days sprucing up the garden.  Ostensibly they're coming for tea in the garden but they said not to go to a lot of bother as they don't eat much anyhow.  Hmm.  Code for "you probably wouldn't serve anything we'd eat" or literally what they said?  I'd like to find some things to serve with tea which might tempt them.  I just don't know what that would be.  I'll be sure to serve chai as well as black tea and we can always make them a coffee or expresso.  But what would go well with that from an Indian perspective.  

I can't think of any regular posters who have mentioned an indian connection but, if you're out there, please do give me your ideas.  Thanks.
RE: New relatives from India to visit. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Google Indian food and tea.

Make it.
Do you have an Indian restaurant there? Perhaps you can call and order some appetizers?

I wish I could help you more but that's all I have.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
(August 26, 2016 at 3:26 pm)Whateverist Wrote: My nephew (wife's brother's son) married a very nice India born young woman from Hyderabad.  We were invited to the wedding but begged out as I was still teaching and anal like that.  Her parents are in medicine, I believe he has or had a government position monitoring infectious diseases.  Anyhow, their daughter Lisa and Martin (the nephew) came out to visit us in the summer after their wedding so that we could show them around the state a little and celebrate their wedding.  She said her dad would love my garden and I encouraged her to encourage him to come visit.  So now he is coming this Sunday.

I've been busy the past few days sprucing up the garden.  Ostensibly they're coming for tea in the garden but they said not to go to a lot of bother as they don't eat much anyhow.  Hmm.  Code for "you probably wouldn't serve anything we'd eat" or literally what they said?  I'd like to find some things to serve with tea which might tempt them.  I just don't know what that would be.  I'll be sure to serve chai as well as black tea and we can always make them a coffee or expresso.  But what would go well with that from an Indian perspective.  

I can't think of any regular posters who have mentioned an indian connection but, if you're out there, please do give me your ideas.  Thanks.

Ah,  jeez, I've lived with desi people my whole life.

Remember there are subtle differences between, Pakistanis, Indians, and Bengali. Learn the differences and it'll help. A lot. It's hard to explain.

Make them some herbal tea (cha).
Chicken tikkia masala goes good with it too.

Make some Naan or buy it from somewhere.

Get some rusk cake, that's good too.

Make sure to put a little bit of sugar or splenda.
Most of the ones I know like spledna even though it's unhealthy.

If it's the bride's dad, and from India, rest assured he'd be diabetic and will avoid sugar and spicy food. I'd advise against trying to mimc their cuisine or serving americanized indian food. They are coming in your home, your culture, so treat them how you'd treat a neighbor or local friend. that way both you and they'll be able to feel comfortable.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

Serve ubiquitous foods: breads, sweets, grains.

Don't try and make Indian food. If I visited new family in India, I wouldn't want them to make Hot Dogs and Mac and Cheese.

Serve something simple and not too adventurous. Find out if they have any food restrictions.

Tea and scones or fruit tarts would be a suggestion.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
I like to stick a couple of incense sticks in the ground around the garden when I have visitors.
Nag Champa is my favourite.
(August 26, 2016 at 6:45 pm)Little lunch Wrote: I like to stick a couple of incense sticks in the ground around the garden when I have visitors.
Nag Champa is my favourite.

Hippie!
Burgers and fries?

No?
Funny and thanks! I messaged my new niece for guidance and she said

Quote:Dad and Mom both enjoy black tea and chai. I honestly wouldn't worry too much about the snacks -- both Mom and Dad are difficult. Dad pretty much only eats vegetarian Indian food and French Fries, and Mom is avoiding carbohydrates for health reasons.

So looks like most of you were right to some degree or other (Min eerily so). I think Steel is right not to risk butchering an indian recipe. But I do make a pretty nice veggie sandwich with grated carrot with raisins on bread with ginger chutney on one side and garlic hummus on the other. I think I'll risk it. Could work. We have a lot of indian food and markets in Berkeley so I'll see if I can find some Rusk cake since I'm curious to try it myself. Finish it off with some cut up watermelon and possibly other fruit. Scones is a solid, traditional choice which I'll go with. And while I'm looking for some rusk cake I'll see if I can find a little Nag Champa and burn it somewhere in the garden just to see if they notice.

Thanks you all!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you think historical accuracy matters much in modern entertainment Woah0 30 1705 September 20, 2022 at 1:05 am
Last Post: Woah0
  How much do you weigh? Foxaèr 39 2418 November 30, 2021 at 12:04 am
Last Post: Ranjr
  Anyone visit a volcano, or live near a volcano? Brian37 27 1493 October 21, 2021 at 5:12 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  So much for going to town today. onlinebiker 11 1121 February 19, 2021 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Advice about patience Macoleco 4 555 March 26, 2020 at 5:24 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  When your relatives worry you, part Xth. Gawdzilla Sama 8 900 February 21, 2020 at 10:36 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
Music The best advice someone gave you. onlinebiker 65 6250 April 14, 2019 at 8:33 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  The WORST Advice Someone Ever Gave You BrianSoddingBoru4 11 1093 April 14, 2019 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  A tale of American healthcare as told through one Doctor visit Figbash 14 1659 December 7, 2018 at 11:48 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Let me know how much I've upset you or you don't want me here. Foxaèr 34 5960 April 28, 2018 at 5:23 am
Last Post: Little lunch