Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 8:55 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adopting Japanese life style elements
Adopting Japanese life style elements
I recently had a mild health scare, the other day I ate at local restaurant for breakfast. About 25 minutes  after eating I came down with food poisoning. now I've had food poisoning before and was not nearly has bad. So, I've came to conclusion that it's the American diet that is at fault for my illness. I read up on other countries diet and the way the Japaneses dine makes the most sense in most of their habits. I use to drink a lot of Caffeinated drinks when I was younger, and now I want to adopt their styles of tea's. Does anyone else here follow more the Japanese style of food and drinks? If any one else practices what I want to do, I would like to hear from you on how to start inter-grading more of their habits into my diet. Other traditions as well, I've been using house shoes and not wearing outside shoes in the house. If any one has any other tips I'd be grateful to read your responses.
     “A man isn't tiny or giant enough to defeat anything” Yukio Mishima

RE: Adpoting Japanese life style elements
I don't follow Japanese traditions, but I try to avoid the typical American diet as much as possible. I'm definitely a tea drinker and I enjoy more subtle flavors, so I align with some Japanese habits in that sense. It's definitely an improvement. Going full-on Japanese would be a stretch for me that I could neither justify nor afford, though.
I don't believe you. Get over it.
(September 16, 2016 at 11:05 pm)Jesster Wrote: I don't follow Japanese traditions, but I try to avoid the typical American diet as much as possible. I'm definitely a tea drinker and I enjoy more subtle flavors, so I align with some Japanese habits in that sense. It's definitely an improvement. Going full-on Japanese would be a stretch for me that I could neither justify nor afford, though.

I don't plan of adopting the full culture, I just want to get away from the American diet, you had no idea how sick I was. It would T.M.I if I went into the details. I looked on Amazon for teas from Japan and they have a large selection. What type of Japanese teas should I start with?

I love sushi and nigiri, but I don't know too much else about Japanese cuisine or health culture. I do find Japanese cuisine fairly cleansing, but then, I have never had, say, okonomiyaki.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
(September 16, 2016 at 11:10 pm)Sterben Wrote:
(September 16, 2016 at 11:05 pm)Jesster Wrote: I don't follow Japanese traditions, but I try to avoid the typical American diet as much as possible. I'm definitely a tea drinker and I enjoy more subtle flavors, so I align with some Japanese habits in that sense. It's definitely an improvement. Going full-on Japanese would be a stretch for me that I could neither justify nor afford, though.

I don't plan of adopting the full culture, I just want to get away from the American diet, you had no idea how sick I was. It would T.M.I if I went into the details. I looked on Amazon for teas from Japan and they have a large selection. What type of Japanese teas should I start with?

If you're doing it purely for the dietary benefits, green tea is always a winner. It doesn't necessarily have to be from Japan. I get mine from a local tea business. Beyond added flavors, it's really no different from what you would find in Japan. And no, I'm not including crap like Arizona "tea" in that, either. That's just sugar water.
Oh, man, that's gross! No better than Snapple.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
(September 16, 2016 at 11:14 pm)Jesster Wrote:
(September 16, 2016 at 11:10 pm)Sterben Wrote:           I don't plan of adopting the full culture, I just want to get away from the American diet, you had no idea how sick I was. It would T.M.I if I went into the details. I looked on Amazon for teas from Japan and they have a large selection. What type of Japanese teas should I start with?

If you're doing it purely for the dietary benefits, green tea is always a winner. It doesn't necessarily have to be from Japan. I get mine from a local tea business. Beyond added flavors, it's really no different from what you would find in Japan. And no, I'm not including crap like Arizona "tea" in that, either. That's just sugar water.

Thank you, I've known Arizona Tea is not healthy at all. What's your advice of cutting back on Soda and Energy drinks?

(September 17, 2016 at 12:13 am)Sterben Wrote:
(September 16, 2016 at 11:14 pm)Jesster Wrote: If you're doing it purely for the dietary benefits, green tea is always a winner. It doesn't necessarily have to be from Japan. I get mine from a local tea business. Beyond added flavors, it's really no different from what you would find in Japan. And no, I'm not including crap like Arizona "tea" in that, either. That's just sugar water.

Thank you, I've known Arizona Tea is not healthy at all. What's your advice of cutting back on Soda and Energy drinks?

I really don't know if I have the best advice for that one. If someone knows better methods, please correct me. What worked for me is finding a replacement for them that works to satisfy the craving (sparkling water worked for me). Find something you enjoy that is at least slightly healthier, and then work to replace that again later with something even healthier if you need to. Right now I'm living off water and tea, but I used to drink a lot of soda as well. It takes time, patience, and baby steps to beat bad food habits.

I will admit that I am slipping a bit on soda right now. I blame the boyfriend, who is addicted to it like I used to be.
I'm definitely aspiring to eat less of a modern Western diet. It's true, the "American" diet is absolutely riddled with fat, caffeine and other really shitty stuff... then we wonder why we're all getting cancer and heart disease younger and younger. There's your number 1 reason, more than likely.

A traditional Mediterranean diet is also supposed to be crazy healthy for you, so I guess you could also incorporate elements of that diet too. Mix and match, you could always take the healthier dishes from every diet and throw it all together.

I'd also like to almost completely cut bread out my diet as well. It's not healthy in large amounts.
"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the road, and then getting hit by an airplane"  - sarcasm_only

"Ironically like the nativist far-Right, which despises multiculturalism, but benefits from its ideas of difference to scapegoat the other and to promote its own white identity politics; these postmodernists, leftists, feminists and liberals also use multiculturalism, to side with the oppressor, by demanding respect and tolerance for oppression characterised as 'difference', no matter how intolerable."
- Maryam Namazie

I eat everything, and I have never had a problem.

Some people like to find a blame where there is none, which is precisely how so many unnecessary food fads begin.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ostrich Egg Omelette Recipe South African Style WinterHold 20 1285 January 10, 2021 at 4:44 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Japanese are crazy purplepurpose 10 1662 November 17, 2018 at 9:44 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Adopting Children of Another Race Shell B 62 4536 February 13, 2018 at 11:39 pm
Last Post: Martian Mermaid
  A question I have about Japanese cartoons Alexmahone 10 905 January 7, 2018 at 10:46 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, reta 9 2102 April 23, 2016 at 1:49 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Driving Style Assessment brewer 20 2586 February 11, 2016 at 12:53 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  What is your Learning Style? Shining_Finger 17 2426 November 21, 2015 at 6:31 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Raiden Japanese thunder god V.S. Thor [Death battle] dyresand 0 893 March 7, 2015 at 9:06 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Teaching "Fuck" to Japanese people Napoléon 15 5652 June 25, 2014 at 5:21 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  My Japanese Sleeve: Completed BlackSwordsman 6 1627 May 11, 2014 at 9:48 pm
Last Post: KichigaiNeko