Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 8:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The unmoved mover
The unmoved mover
Consider jumping on a trampoline. You move a lot and so does the trampoline.  
Jumping on the floor you move the floor not.
Consider the Moon going round the earth. The earth’s  gravity keeps the moon going round while the moons gravity has noticeable effects on the earth like causing tides.
However take  a man made satellite going round the earth.  The earth is able to move it round and round, but the satellite will hardly ever effect the earth.
So if one body is of a much greater mass than another then you have an unmoved mover.
Suppose something was of infinite mass then anything of finite mass would be moved by it but itself will be unmoved.
RE: The unmoved mover
So, essentially:

"Here's a rule that applies to everything. And here's my god, who breaks that rule."
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
Dude what are you even talking about
Outdated Aristotelian physics are outdated.
I am John Cena's hip-hop album.
(September 23, 2016 at 1:51 am)fdesilva Wrote: So if one body is of a much greater mass than another then you have an unmoved mover.
No, you don't.  Perhaps taking the time to familiarize yourself with the term would be worthwhile?  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unmoved_mover
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Also, if I jump up and down on the Earth, I still have an infinitesimal effect on the Earth. It is negligible, but it is there.

Fail. Fail pretty hard, too.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
OK I considered it. It appears to have no relevance whatsoever to anything.

What's next?
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(September 23, 2016 at 3:57 am)SteelCurtain Wrote: Also, if I jump up and down on the Earth, I still have an infinitesimal effect on the Earth. It is negligible, but it is there.

Fail. Fail pretty hard, too.

Exactly my thoughts as I read the OP.
I don't believe you. Get over it.
This is all an attempt to try and convince us that this guy is worshipping something rather than nothing, yes?

I'm really not bothered. Worship is a creepy idea regardless.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
If God has infinite mass, he also exerts infinite gravity and crushes everything into pulp.
Sounds about right!
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition