Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 7:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
When it becomes a fact?
When it becomes a fact?
Hello everyone, its me again, this is a post about Skepticism, not Atheism directly, so I apologize in advance if I should have posted this in philosophy sub-forums, but it just didn't fitted well there imo, I hope you guys can share your insights on the subject regardless, english is not my native language so exercise patience.

I was watching some random debates and speechs on youtube as usual and stumbled into the following assertion by Dawkins: "evolution its a fact".

He then elaborates on that saying that evolution is as well documented by Science as Napoleon is documented by History, and then concludes: "some things are just truth, they are not a matter of choice or opinion"

Yes, I do agree with him, but that made me scratch my head.

The more I experience and try to practice Skepticism the harder it is for me to make assertions like those, even about trivial subjects.

I started to notice everyday that people casually assert things like they were facts when its only their opinion or their personal taste for something (art/music), sometimes it reflects a hunch to explain why something happened, or even some quite reliable hypothesis misstooked as fact because its backed up by anedoctal evidence or some very limited testing with a great deal of confirmation bias.

After I learned that I simply stopped asserting things.

I started to imply my uncertainty by saying: "well seems likely to be X because ABCD" or "my ABCD experiences/tests so far point towards X", and things like that, to avoid saying "Its X".

I had decided that asserting something was simply too risky, risks that my reasoning was flawled somewhere I haven't noticed, or that I could just be suffering confirmation bias, and thinking that I have enough evidence to back up something, but instead being unreasonable without even noticing.

But then comes Dawkins and says something is a fact.

So... when some very fitting and solid theory becomes a fact?

A fact can be wrong? Wasn't all science subject to be changed at any given moment provided evidence of some more fitting model? So how we can have those facts?

And... if your answer is "after it gets published on peer reviewed journals and survives the scrutiny" how we could apply that concept to our everyday life's normal facts?

I can say something its a fact if I can reproduce that it works as I predict even without knowing the reason behind the workings of it? so people are expected to accept something as fact (due to it reproducibility) even with the absence of any reasonable thought process they can follow?

Those are my doubts...  I hope we can have nice exchanges. = ]
RE: When it becomes a fact?
"Fact", in a scientific context, means it has been established by a theory. It has survived scrutiny. It is beyond all reasonable doubt. It doesn't mean it can't possibly be wrong. This is indeed different to the use of the word in other contexts.

Informally, we can say it's a fact again because it's blindingly obvious and has been demonstrated to be the case in a variety of ways. But science never deals with absolute certainty.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
It's not -actually- different in any other context.  We just don't, generally, perceive our "facts" to be the provisional things they are.  Every logical statement of truth, for example, contains either an explicit or implicit -if- as pretext. Even the system it;self contains an explicit or implicit if, as in, "if things are as they seem, and if these rules hold - than.....[insert "law" here]."
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
By the way, this is the closest you can ever get to truth when modelling reality. Absolute truth exists only in abstract systems. So if you don't accept scientific facts as facts, there are no facts at all.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
(October 10, 2016 at 1:52 pm)Rhythm Wrote: It's not -actually- different in any other context.  We just don't, generally, perceive our "facts" to be the provisional things they are.  Every logical statement of truth, for example, contains either an explicit or implicit -if- as pretext.  Even the system it;self  contains an explicit or implicit if, as in, "if things are as they seem, and if these rules hold - than.....[insert "law" here]."

Sure yes, good point Smile

Index of my best videos
Evolution is in everyway consistent with what is discovered in reality and has never been successfully refuted. It has passed enough tests to be considered a fact..
The alternative suggestions are all retro fitted to somehow make them less than totally unreasonable, and fail.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

But how you guys deal with your skepticism aside from science.

I mean do you actively avoid making assertions? do you consider previous events as evidence, allow extrapolations on your reasoning?

And about other people speaking to you, do you guys let them assert things blatantly because you guys know thats not exactly what they meant? or do you feel an urge to correct them as they cannot possibly know what they are asserting?
Personally, I speak informally most of the time.

If I state something is true, or not true, it's shorthand for "All the evidence supports this position, beyond reasonable doubt". It would get tiresome to talk that way all the time. If I'm having a scientific discussion, then I'll be more precise with my language. Someone can always ask exactly what I mean, anyway, and a level of uncertainty is always implied by any reasonable person.

I assume most people treat things this way. Whether I challenge someone depends on the context and what they are saying. If it's important enough, I'll challenge it, if I think they are mistaken or they display too much confidence.

Index of my best videos
To be honest, if someone is spending a lot of time picking away at your confidence levels rather than addressing the actual points, they probably don't have much of a defence.

It happens on here a lot. When someone starts losing an argument, they'll sink into semantics and try and make your statements contradict themselves and such. It's rather pathetic.

Index of my best videos
(October 10, 2016 at 2:04 pm)_Velvet_ Wrote: But how you guys deal with your skepticism aside from science.

I mean do you actively avoid making assertions? do you consider previous events as evidence, allow extrapolations on your reasoning?

And about other people speaking to you, do you guys let them assert things blatantly because you guys know thats not exactly what they meant? or do you feel an urge to correct them as they cannot possibly know what they are asserting?

I try to avoid making un-evidenced assertions, when I can, yeah.  

Reason -is- an extrapolation, the question is redundant.....and that pretty much answers the next question, huh?  Wink

More elaboratively, as to whether or not I correct people on what they can and cannot know. Well, I'm not exactly knocking on doors, now, am I?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christian missionary becomes atheist after trying to convert tribe EgoDeath 40 4918 November 19, 2019 at 2:07 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Explaining the fact that we exist OttoVonKerpen 84 11139 November 5, 2016 at 11:18 pm
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  Fact, every single german nazi was a christian Deepthunk 249 61384 August 16, 2016 at 8:33 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Jerry Coyne's new book: Faith Versus Fact Mudhammam 17 5921 August 13, 2015 at 12:22 am
Last Post: smsavage32
  The more troubling fact is not that this may be genuine, but that it's hard to doubt Mudhammam 16 5038 August 13, 2014 at 1:50 pm
Last Post: Lucanus
  Atheist Becomes Catholic Max_Kolbe 70 20376 October 11, 2013 at 5:11 am
Last Post: Creed of Heresy
  Free Will: Fact or Fiction Reasonable_Jeff 89 33130 October 2, 2012 at 1:23 pm
Last Post: Angrboda