Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 2:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
John Lennox and Richard Dawkins
John Lennox and Richard Dawkins
What are your thoughts on their debate? Why didn't Richard counter a lot of the arguments?

For those of you who haven't heard of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0UIbd0eLxw
RE: John Lennox and Richard Dawkins
Science deals in fact - the bald clown wants to talk about fairy tales.  There is no common ground between these two.

I gave it 13 minutes.... that was about all I could stand of Lennox' pontificating about his silly god.
(October 11, 2016 at 5:04 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Science deals in fact - the bald clown wants to talk about fairy tales.  There is no common ground between these two.

I gave it 13 minutes.... that was about all I could stand of Lennox' pontificating about his silly god.

I have listened to Lennox quite a bit -- he likes to appeal to his granddaughter who died in her early 20s from brain cancer.  So very sad, of course, but we (nor I) cannot create an afterlife any more than we can raise people from the dead or even cure cancer.

Lennox needs to understand that Mother Nature is a cruel (fill-in any word of your choosing); it's just the way the World is.
Misread the thread title, thought it said John Lennon...then when I saw it was a video of a debate I was very confused for a moment.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk
(October 13, 2016 at 3:18 am)ukatheist Wrote: Misread the thread title, thought it said John Lennon...then when I saw it was a video of a debate I was very confused for a moment.

John Lennon would have talked more sense.
(October 13, 2016 at 5:51 am)Expired Wrote:
(October 13, 2016 at 3:18 am)ukatheist Wrote: Misread the thread title, thought it said John Lennon...then when I saw it was a video of a debate I was very confused for a moment.

John Lennon would have talked more sense.

That's Lennox's problem; for him, religious faith provides condolences and hope for his dead granddaughter.  What he can't understand is that having religious faith in the World is like standing a pencil on its head.  For some, they will take belief to extremes and do all sorts of silly and nasty things; for others, they will recognize that its all bullshit and simply abandon it.  In this respect, religious liberalism is in decline while fundamentalism is growing, as is secularism.
(October 12, 2016 at 11:24 pm)Jehanne Wrote: I have listened to Lennox quite a bit -- he likes to appeal to his granddaughter who died in her early 20s from brain cancer.  So very sad, of course, but we (nor I) cannot create an afterlife any more than we can raise people from the dead or even cure cancer.

Lennox needs to understand that Mother Nature is a cruel (fill-in any word of your choosing); it's just the way the World is.

Off topic but thanks for putting this 70's bit in my head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLrTPrp-fW8
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I really enjoyed this debate, very calm and respectful unlike most debates I watch on the matter.

I would like to point tho that I find very dishonest the way SO MANY Christians debaters use Deist arguments to supposedly support Christianity, the Atheists debater often has to spend great deal of the debate having to constantly separate one idea from the other.

The reason I find this so important its that the way I see Deism, it can be seen as something reasonable, like Dawkins said, something that someone "could make a case of" and speak seriously about what could or couldn't point us to that and what difference would or wouldn't make if such a unpersonal deity/force exists if it doesn't interacts with his creation in any religious way.

The Deist arguments just shouldn't be used to try to defend such an undefendable position, an internally incoherent non-sense like Christianity.

Its like saying all forces and wonders of the universe exists to make sure you don't jerk off or eat pork.

EDIT: Final notes.

As on many other Dawkins debates I could notice that Dawkins's knowledge far exceed his rhetorical skills, he is in my opinion, most of the time, simply unable to sound convincing to anyone who's not already a skeptic, such arguments like "its far less reasonable to suggest an unexplained complex godly entity than stick with the (yet) unexplained natural "simple" universe." are useless to address those who doesn't understand Occam's razor necessity.
Thanks for the input! What I find baffling is that a man whose expertise is mathematics, arguably the most objective study of nature, can blur the lines between reality and belief. He uses language that makes him sound intelligent, but in fact is nothing more than another iteration of the tired old talking points.

A friend of mine, a very intelligent doctor in a good hospital... well versed in politics, music, literature, history.... a man who can basically hold a conversation on any topic... yet believes in the Catholic God. He is obviously highly educated. How they dupe themselves is beyond me.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dawkins, Rowling, Sunak et al on Trans Issue and Women's Rights. Nishant Xavier 63 3247 July 15, 2023 at 12:50 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Dawkins loses humanist title Foxaèr 165 6477 June 6, 2021 at 1:45 am
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  Richard Dawkins interviews Saudi Arabian atheist Rana Ahmad AniKoferBo 2 798 July 22, 2020 at 12:40 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Ricky Gervais won Dawkins award this year Fake Messiah 13 2279 September 6, 2019 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Dawkins writing kid's version of "The God Delusion" - you mad bro? Foxaèr 35 5536 August 2, 2018 at 9:08 pm
  Your thoughts on John Gray? Foxaèr 12 3169 May 14, 2018 at 9:39 pm
  Geoff Robson has a hardon for Dawkins Foxaèr 7 1694 May 10, 2018 at 5:55 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  What are your thoughts on Richard Dawkins? NuclearEnergy 96 12954 December 6, 2017 at 3:06 am
Last Post: Bow Before Zeus
  Hitchens, Dawkins, Hawking, Ehrman, Coin, Sagan: Where are the Woman? Rhondazvous 44 4164 January 14, 2017 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
  Love Letters to Richard Dawkins Czechlervitz30 6 2005 July 20, 2016 at 7:37 am
Last Post: The Viking