Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 4:27 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Ask a clarinet geek.
Ask a clarinet geek.
(clears away a pile of sheet music and a pile of reeds and musical gadgets)  Ah, there's the keyboard.  Questions?
RE: Ask a clarinet geek.
What type of reed(s) do you prefer?

Do you have a favorite size to play?

Band or orchestra preference?

Type of music preference?

Circular breathing adept? (i tried and tried but could never get it)
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Why is the bass clarinet the superior instrument?
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
(October 17, 2016 at 10:02 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: What type of reed(s) do you prefer? Rico Mitchell Lurie #3 for the B♭, still experimenting with reeds for the alto clarinet.  I have a J.D. Hite alto mouthpiece that has a table wide enough for sax reeds, so no danger of running out.

Do you have a favorite size to play?  I love alto clarinet for the sound, but there's not much repertoire for it except older works.  I'm also not playing at the same level on it yet because I just got it last year.

Band or orchestra preference?  Band.  Definitely band.  Much bigger woodwind section and more harmony parts.

Type of music preference?  Big band and repertoire written for concert band, such as Holst's 1st and 2nd Suites.  There are only so many popular song medleys you can play before you go stark raving mad.

Circular breathing adept? (i tried and tried but could never get it)  No, not there yet.  Currently trying to shake a nasty little glottal stop that takes hold when I go over the 2nd break into the altissimo register.

(October 17, 2016 at 10:03 pm)Aegon Wrote: Why is the bass clarinet the superior instrument?

Because the bassoon player just broke his last reed, the contrabass clarinet player is in the other room looking for a stool to sit on so he can reach the mouthpiece, and all the tuba players are performing at Oktoberfest tonight.   Big Grin   (I don't have a bass clarinet -- yet.  It's on the wish list.)
Can you play?

https://youtu.be/BKy967puebk
(October 17, 2016 at 10:22 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Can you play?

Not yet, alas. I've done a bit of Mozart but not that concerto.
(October 17, 2016 at 10:03 pm)Aegon Wrote: Why is the bass clarinet the superior instrument?

It's not. That's bassist elitism talk.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Band camp?
Dying to live, living to die.
What do you think of a baritone? My kid is entering her fourth year playing. Before that, she took violin for three years.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
One of my sisters still has hers.

What is an absolutely sure way of making it forever unplayable, and yet impossible to prove I fucked it up ?
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ask an anime geek! BrokenQuill92 6 898 July 12, 2016 at 12:38 pm
Last Post: BrokenQuill92
  Ask an Audio geek Kosh 142 12307 April 22, 2016 at 12:09 am
Last Post: Kosh