Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 10:01 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Well done, Australia!
Well done, Australia!
I really wish Europe had a similar policy.

What do you all think? I'm going to assume almost everyone here is against this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-37814496

Quote:Australia has unveiled tough new plans to bar any asylum seekers who try to reach the country by boat from ever being able to enter.

The lifetime ban on visas would apply even to those travelling as tourists, for business, or who married an Australian.

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull said the move would send "the strongest possible signal" to people-smugglers.

The proposed ban is to be put to parliament later this week.

Australia transports asylum seekers who arrive by boat to off-shore processing centres in Nauru and Papua New Guinea's Manus Island.

Even if found to be genuine refugees, they are already blocked from being resettled in Australia. They can either return home, be resettled on Manus or Nauru, or go to a third country.
RE: Well done, Australia!
I don't have a problem with it. Seems like it's more to detour the gangs than asylum. 

Won't effect me. I'm coming by pogo stick.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
You wouldn't be saying that if you were a minority Muslim or minority Arab Christian fleeing violence and death from war. This is the same sick mentality that caused America to turn away a boat full of Jews during the rise of Hitler, most of those 900 on that boat ended up victims of Hitler's genocide. It is the same inhuman mentality Trump has sold about Hispanics and Latinos whom are fleeing poverty and famine and drug violence. Most humans are NOT violent regardless of the few that are.

All 7 billion humans are the same species regardless of boarders or labels. All nations have hospitals and prisons, and before you go praising inhuman xenophobic tactics, it would be wise to remember what the conquests of Europe's migrations did to the Americas as far as the natives of North and South America as well as the conquest of Australia in destroying the lives of their Natives.

Humans will always migrate and our planet is far too small now for bullshit inhuman ideas of "us vs them". It is certainly reasonable to want to avoid violence and not have it grow where one lives. But regardless, I refuse to assume the guilt of the individual as a starting position. Even morso when it comes to those with kids whom are fleeing violence and poverty.
(October 30, 2016 at 9:08 am)Brian37 Wrote: You wouldn't be saying that if you were a minority Muslim or minority Arab Christian fleeing violence and death from war. This is the same sick mentality that caused America to turn away a boat full of Jews during the rise of Hitler, most of those 900 on that boat ended up victims of Hitler's genocide. It is the same inhuman mentality Trump has sold about Hispanics and Latinos whom are fleeing poverty and famine and drug violence. Most humans are NOT violent regardless of the few that are.

All 7 billion humans are the same species regardless of boarders or labels. All nations have hospitals and prisons, and before you go praising inhuman xenophobic tactics, it would be wise to remember what the conquests of Europe's migrations did to the Americas as far as the natives of North and South America as well as the conquest of Australia in destroying the lives of their Natives.

Humans will always migrate and our planet is far too small now for bullshit inhuman ideas of "us vs them". It is certainly reasonable to want to avoid violence and not have it grow where one lives. But regardless, I refuse to assume the guilt of the individual as a starting position. Even morso when it comes to those with kids whom are fleeing violence and poverty.

Brian, they have other choices. They can either return home, be resettled on Manus or Nauru, or go to a third country.
Speaking of Jews, why can't Israel accept some migrants? As far as I know they haven't accepted a single one. Hell even Palestine could take some.
Yea, well if they are good enough for other countries then they should be good enough for yours. Sorry, but that is treating your fellow human being like trash regardless of how much you want to water it down. "I am fine with them as long as they sit at the back of the bus".

Our species lives on the same home. I will not turn away non violent people and especially not non violent people with kids.
You know what doesn't help? Cutting foreign aid and at the same expecting no people coming to our shores. It's common sense actually if we're talking about failed states or third world countries of the worst kind. If there is no future to be had, people got nothing to lose and will try anything to escape the shithole they were born in. Everyone of us would too, if we are honest with ourselves.

So, out the window goes the dubble whammy of no foregin aid and closing off our shores some populous politicians want us to believe in.

Secondly, as for Australia, I wonder how many refugees they actually have to resort to something like that. I haven't got the numbers, though I'm sure they're in the public domain, but I do know that Amnesty, one of the few NGOs Iactually respect, paints a rather bleak picture of Australian treatment of refugees.

Third, closing of the shores of any given continent doesn't work. Unless you build a behemoth of a combined navy, with money that's needed elsewhere and can be put to much better use to improve living conditions. Also, you have to be ready to shoot at already helpless and hopeless people posing no other threat than seeking a better life. There are already thousands of deads washed to the shores of Greece and Italy, countries being at the frontlines, so to speak. Countries that get next to no support from the rest of Europe.

So no, I don't wish for Europe going down the same road. I don't wish for Europe to go even more populous and brainless in it's approach. Tons of money have already been wasted on useless fences on the borders, because there was a populous demand for them. I don't think, or at least hope, for a second that the ones responsible are stupid enough to think something like that actually works.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
The horrible conditions at Manus and Nauru are well documented. Take into consideration the seaworthiness of the vessels turned around and you will see that Operation Sovereign Borders is hardly humanitarian. Also of note is that Australia cares nothing about gangs impacting the homeland, but that gangs are said to be controlling the migrant transportation. Australia gives fuck all about the plight of the asylum seekers.
(October 30, 2016 at 9:08 am)Brian37 Wrote: You wouldn't be saying that if you were a minority Muslim or minority Arab Christian fleeing violence and death from war. This is the same sick mentality that caused America to turn away a boat full of Jews during the rise of Hitler, most of those 900 on that boat ended up victims of Hitler's genocide. It is the same inhuman mentality Trump has sold about Hispanics and Latinos whom are fleeing poverty and famine and drug violence. Most humans are NOT violent regardless of the few that are.

Did you read on and see that the Aussies are still accepting 12K to 13K  asylum seekers per year and have been for the last 20 years? Or that children are exempt? Appears not. So, they are still accepting asylum seekers, just not from human traffickers.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I am all for accepting a certain amount of refugees in the UK but only Syrian refugees and women and children should be prioritized. We've seen many people from Afghanistan and such take advantage of the situation. Look at Calais. I certainly don't think we should just throw open our borders like Germany did.

Australia have obviously made their decision.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Well, that didn't last long...MyPillow guy fail. arewethereyet 4 725 November 13, 2022 at 1:04 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Facebook unfriends Australia brewer 2 264 February 19, 2021 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  This has to be the most chilling thing he has done. Brian37 29 1674 September 8, 2020 at 9:40 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  So, what is it that Trump should have done differently? Prof.Lunaphiles 109 6790 April 20, 2020 at 3:18 pm
Last Post: TaraJo
  Australia on fire Fake Messiah 21 2216 January 12, 2020 at 8:01 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  Well that was some fast back-tracking by Facebook robvalue 9 1242 July 12, 2019 at 12:37 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Well, It Hardly Qualifies As A 'Replica', Then BrianSoddingBoru4 13 934 May 25, 2019 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  One of Obamacare’s big experiments to lower costs is working surprisingly well Aegon 9 792 September 5, 2018 at 3:44 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Australia - New Prime Minister by the end of Today? fromdownunder 28 1879 August 26, 2018 at 10:52 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  I Guess This Fucktard HAd Done All The Damage He Can Do Minimalist 1 586 August 10, 2018 at 2:50 pm
Last Post: Brian37