Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 10:29 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Differences from societal norms
Differences from societal norms
Each society develops, over time, an idea of what is and isn't "acceptable". This isn't written down anywhere; it just represents a mix of opinions at any given time. These are the norms of a society.

So my question is this: in what ways do your own ideas differ from the society you are currently in? How closely do you feel attuned to it? What do you think should be viewed more favourably, and what do you think deserves more scorn?
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
RE: Differences from societal norms
More scorn:

remarriage following divorce of a couple that were united in Christian marriage. Christian marriage is indissoluble. Those engaging in it are precluded from divorce and remarriage by their right under to the First Amendment to the expression of their religious beliefs. The state would be unable to recognize a petition of divorce from such a couple, and certainly would be absolutely prohibited from recognizing a subsequent marriage for either spouse.

The First Amendment giveth, and the First Amendment taketh away, so to speak.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

However, if dead set on breaking Jesus heart and incurring His ETERNAL WRATH, couples desirous of a divorce will need to renounce their faith, publically, to all who witnessed their Christian marriage.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Not believing in free will fucks most people off. But most people don't even realize that the free will they believe in is of the bullshit magical kind and all that's left for them to do is believe in physical freedom and to simply label "will" as "free will".
I fall outside some peoples norms by not being a patriot. I fail others by not believing in their gods and still others by not sharing in the child rearing project. Early on I questioned the women-should-be-limited norms and the homosexuals-are-vile norms. For the most part I just don't look outside for my norms and I tend to question norms I find welling up from the inside if I think someone has been poisoning the water (so to speak).

I think this goes back to the moral dimension of purity. I don't exalt or enshrine norms. Basically fuck norms other than basic civility, but especially fuck the norms of uncivil people.
Oh yes, fuck patriotism in the ass with a gigantic wooden mallet... and give the ass of "nationalism" extra splinters from said mallet.
I don't use my knife and fork normally.  Fuck knife and fork rules I make my own.

This has got me some scorn before.  

I can't think of any other real overall social norm that I deviate from that's caused me scorn.

You could say being an atheist but then that's only when I'm around religious people and only some of the time do I get anything that's like scorn.

In a similar way you'd say I get scorn on here for things like questioning white privilege or other left wing things on here but that's not society as a whole that's giving me scorn.

Society is very diverse really so it's difficult to think of any one thing that would get me scorn.

I don't really socialize in such a high place in society where I feel pressure to be one way or another.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

(November 13, 2016 at 9:37 am)Alasdair Ham Wrote: Oh yes, fuck patriotism in the ass with a gigantic wooden mallet... and give the ass of "nationalism" extra splinters from said mallet.

I'd be willing to bet you're more likely to get scorn for being a nationalist patriot.  But as I said in my previous post I think it depends on the time, place and local population of people.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

Pretty much my entire personality is 'odd'. Although I tend to think that it's the majority of people who are the weird ones.

The way I am perfectly fine acting 'unmanly' by being secure enough about my emotions and comfortable enough in my own skin to cry in front of my friends without thinking there's anything intrinsically embarrassing about it. The way I'm so comfortable talking about my feelings and I treat both men and women the same, as people, but it often ends up with the guys feeling weirded-out and only the girls accepting me. Usually.

Fuck stereotypes. Fuck them in the ear.

Except for the sexy ones. The non-insecure sexy ones. Fuck those stereotypes in nicer places.
I think more men should behave like bonobos.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Words and cultural differences pocaracas 15 1755 June 3, 2018 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: brewer
  The differences that separate and unite us. Whateverist 30 4094 April 14, 2018 at 6:30 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  For all our differences, we are alike. Dotard 2 1262 March 9, 2011 at 8:05 am
Last Post: Violet
  Differences between cultures Godhead 17 3694 July 12, 2010 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye