Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 7:04 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More Faith than Thomas
More Faith than Thomas
If we believe the bible is a true account, the disciples including Thomas saw Jesus do many amazing things like multiplying food and healing blindness.

Yet supposedly Thomas would not believe Jesus rose from the dead, refused to until he could feel the wounds himself. He had the right idea.

Does christianity demand a measure of faith that even a supposed disciple of Jesus didn't have?
RE: More Faith than Thomas
The "apostles" were there to serve as the Greek chorus for this little drama. It was their job to say "Holy Shit, Lord!" every time he did one of his magic tricks.

You'd think that after a while these assholes would come to expect this kind of behavior but it looks like that wasn't in the script.
Thomas questioned the resurrection of Christ and John the Baptist questioned whether Jesus was in fact the messiah Luke 7:20. Today's Christianity especially the fundamentalist/literalist don't question anything, they believe everything they hear. I agree with you FadingW that todays Christianity does in fact require more faith than that shown by the disciples of the mythical Christ.
There is nothing people will not maintain when they are slaves to superstition

http://chatpilot-godisamyth.blogspot.com/

Thomas is actually an example of what I would call "irrational skepticism". This is a refusal to believe something despite overwhelming evidence to support it.

What I call "irrational skepticism" includes:

"The lunar landing was faked"
"Evolution is just a lie made up by atheists"
"Global warming isn't really happening"

In the case of Thomas, according to the story, he'd witnessed:

- Jesus resurrecting three different people
- Jesus walking on water
- Jesus healing countless sick and handicapped people
- A booming voice from above introducing Jesus as his son
- Feeding thousands with magically generated food
- His transfiguration with, once again, the booming voice from above
- Jesus explaining on multiple occasions that he would die and be raised again

Now if you or I had witnessed such things, would it be rational to insist that he couldn't be back from the dead? Or would we be saying, "Oh, back from the dead is he? Did he say how things were on the other side?"

How many miracles do you need to witness to realize you're not dealing with an ordinary person?

I repeat what I said earlier, if you want to convince me Islam or Christianity is real, go heal Stephen Hawking and I will convert on the spot.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] For former Christians only, why did you leave your faith? Jehanne 159 13149 January 16, 2023 at 7:36 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  A Believer's Thoughts on Faith rlp21858 168 11461 July 9, 2022 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  3 reasons for Christians to start questionng their faith smax 149 58444 December 4, 2021 at 10:26 am
Last Post: Ketzer
  Faith is Feelings zwanzig 44 4453 February 28, 2021 at 1:47 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What will win the god wars? Faith, Fantasy, Facts, or God? Greatest I am 98 6192 December 28, 2020 at 12:01 pm
Last Post: Greatest I am
  why faith fails Drich 43 4375 January 23, 2020 at 12:45 am
Last Post: Haipule
  In UK atheists considred more moral than theists. downbeatplumb 254 29266 September 20, 2018 at 5:08 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  German Catholic Priests Abused More Than 3,600 Kids Fake Messiah 17 2134 September 14, 2018 at 5:43 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
Sad My mother believes in Jesus more than in me suffering23 56 8871 April 16, 2018 at 3:11 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Do my parents fear that I'll leave the faith? Der/die AtheistIn 120 23000 January 14, 2018 at 2:55 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire