Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 12:38 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My mother believes in Jesus more than in me
Sad 
My mother believes in Jesus more than in me
My mom and I were low-key arguing when I said she believed in Jesus Christ more than she believes in me.

There was no hesitation or second thought. She puts Jesus before her children.

I feel cheap and hopeless. I cannot process it. I do not want a relationship with her anymore.

Someone please make me feel better
RE: My mother believes in Jesus more than in me
It hurts when family fails you. Most of us thankfully have better priorities than that. 

Welcome! I hope we can help you heal. What might help us out is, to the extent you are comfortable, start a thread in the intro section and tell us more about you.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
(April 13, 2018 at 2:07 am)suffering23 Wrote: My mom and I were low-key arguing when I said she believed in Jesus Christ more than she believes in me.

I feel cheap and hopeless. I cannot process it. I do not want a relationship with her anymore.

Brace up! My dad is a Pentecostal Preacher. I am 58 years old. I have been an atheist since I was 13. How can I help you?
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

(April 13, 2018 at 2:18 am)chimp3 Wrote:
(April 13, 2018 at 2:07 am)suffering23 Wrote: My mom and I were low-key arguing when I said she believed in Jesus Christ more than she believes in me.

Brace up! My dad is a Pentecostal Preacher. I am 58 years old. I have been an atheist since I was 13. How can I help you?

Are you still in contact with your father? How strained is the relationship?

I don't want a relationship with my mom. I have never felt so worthless in my entire life.

The problem is that I am disabled and cannot drive. She has provided me with rides and financial support.

I cannot be around her. I am scared
I spent 6 amiable weeks over the holidays with my folks!  No problem!
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

Does she enjoy reading Christian books? (besides the obvious bable)

If so, have you considered giving her books that shift her a bit towards a more pondered view of the divine? Like philosophers' books...
Ed Feser's The Last Superstition - she might like this one, as it mocks all those idiot atheists, but then builds up the whole religious edifice based on some "rational" arguments. Perhaps those will sway your mom and make her see that Jesus is not the most important thing.

Bart Ehrman's Lost Christianities - a look into the first and second century writings and the christianities that existed back then.

Also... I thought the whole message of christianity was one of family first.

at least she didn't slit your throat and offer you as sacrifice
Welcome to the forum.

I'm not sure that I can help you. As long as you're dependent on her you're in a tough situation. 

Your mom is just delusional, unfortunately it's a delusion accepted by society (at least for now). Maybe you should consider her delusion as her incurable disability. She's sick in the head and may never change. Knowing that, you can then put things that she says regarding religion into perspective. She's not evil, she just can't help herself. 

Would you take a schizophrenic seriously?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(April 13, 2018 at 2:32 am)suffering23 Wrote: Are you still in contact with your father? How strained is the relationship?

I don't want a relationship with my mom. I have never felt so worthless in my entire life.

The problem is that I am disabled and cannot drive. She has provided me with rides and financial support.

I cannot be around her. I am scared

You can't be around her and you're scared because you're not the A-number-1 thing in her life?

Do you think that maybe you're over-reacting a little?

What a selfish POS you are.

Do you even know what it means to put God or Christ first?

Of course not all you know is your not #1

Let's just say you had kids of your own and one was a selfish POS to  degree that it made even you sick. (Because despite what people tell there kids you will favor one over another and you can even come to the end of your rope with one or aother.) then maybe ou would understand being a parent is not the key to unconditional love.

Lets say your kid has a smoldering or underlining personality disorder that causes you pain let's say they re overly needy and can't won't stop a demand for constant attention or affirmation that they are on top all the time.. beyond any normal or healthy relationship. Let's say you feed this kid this insane level of attention but it's not enough.. let's say the older this emotion leech gets the more it needs from you.. so again with the understanding you are a finite resource/you have limits, where d you go to continue to love something that has sapped every ounce of natural love you have in your mind body or spirit?

Now if you FOOLISHLY put this POS of kid first, once your love ran out, that would be it. However if/when you put God first you ability to love forgive and put things behind you becomes far greater, one because God works with in a family to help sift out and identify the selfish, and help re-establish health new boundaries so that both parent and child could live together and one not be a leach to the other. And even when you do run out of your personal love, you can still offer the POS God's love even if he or she is completely undeserving of any of it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Someone I know believes in the Devil but not in Hell Der/die AtheistIn 36 2330 March 9, 2019 at 9:54 pm
Last Post: fredd bear
  In UK atheists considred more moral than theists. downbeatplumb 254 29247 September 20, 2018 at 5:08 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  German Catholic Priests Abused More Than 3,600 Kids Fake Messiah 17 2127 September 14, 2018 at 5:43 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  No-one under 25 in iceland believes god created the universe downbeatplumb 8 1748 August 19, 2018 at 7:55 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  I don't understand what my mom believes Der/die AtheistIn 11 3018 January 14, 2018 at 6:59 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more. vorlon13 14 3075 August 1, 2017 at 2:54 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  J.P. Moreland believes that sperm cells have immortal souls. Jehanne 50 8934 April 26, 2017 at 9:30 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Do I sound like the "devil" to you? My mother thinks I speak like the devil... ReptilianPeon 60 9293 July 6, 2016 at 6:03 pm
Last Post: Nihilist Virus
  This Is More Complicated Than I Thought. Minimalist 1 1279 May 19, 2016 at 8:55 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Mother Marches Through Target With Her Family To Protest Transgender Bathroom Policy" TubbyTubby 6 1684 May 17, 2016 at 12:21 pm
Last Post: abaris